I have just completed the restorations of my Porsche 959, and Toyota celica GrB chassis.

They have been totaly stripped and rebuilt using only original new old stock parts. The 959 has its original speed control with its melted balloon type bag, but i left this detail, as it is original.

I have several Celica bodies, although none are up to the standard that i am looking for, but i dont have a 959 body at all, so if anyone might be able to help with either, send me a message.

J

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

Beautiful cars.

A buddy of mine had a 959 when they first came out, and I always lusted after the Celica.  Both have always eluded me.

It's always a pleasure seeing nice one online...

I got the 959 as a complete car, but after restoring the chassis, the body was just too far gone to be of any use. I have seen a couple of new shells around, but have missed out on them.

The Celica is virtually a new build, i spent some time collecting all the new old stock parts, and replaced just about everything. I have a couple of original used body shells, but i would rather find a new old stock item and do it right.

J

Nice builds.  How much did you spend on the 959 restoration?

I have an original 959 I'd like to bring back to it's former glory, as the Tamiya plastic has cracked in all the usual locations.  I honestly think it'll be almost cost prohibitive, so I'll probably settle on painting a new body and putting on some new tyres and calling it a day.

15 hours ago, clobbo said:

Nice builds.  How much did you spend on the 959 restoration?

I have an original 959 I'd like to bring back to it's former glory, as the Tamiya plastic has cracked in all the usual locations.  I honestly think it'll be almost cost prohibitive, so I'll probably settle on painting a new body and putting on some new tyres and calling it a day.

Hi Clobbo,

I spent a few hundred to get new old stock plastic parts, and cleaned or reconditioned the metal parts as required. The biggest expense is going to be an original body. I have seen these advertised for anything up to £800 for a new old stock boxed set. Ridiculous i know, but i will only use an original. Its the same with the Celica, although not as expensive, i want an original new body.

J

• Like 1

Thought I'd jump into this thread rather than making one of my own.
I just managed to pick up a 969 in fair condition for all up a bit over $800 of my south sea pesos.
The body is not great, but that's ok as I'm going to run this thing. I do need to find that front frp thing that the body pins are mounted on and one dogbone for the front.
I'm going to put modern electrics on it, cause screw old electrics. It has a repair on one of the lower front susp arms that looked crap in the photos, but on closer inspection, worked pretty well.
Going to make a new arm with my 3D printer.

• Like 1

Looks fantastic!

I never bothered with these beauties, in fact I turned down buying a dozen of them for about $50 a pop when I first started hunting down vintage Tamiyas locally about 20 years ago - they were simply too new for me... I got a NOS Celica body, rims and tyres in a trade - I gave them away to a friend.

Now, I regret it all, I want both the Porsche and Toyota, but realise I probably won't have either one any time soon... I know the Celica body I gave away still is in new, unpainted condition - but out of my reach at this point. I hope you find the parts you are missing to complete these awesome restorations.

• Sad 1