Mark638

Transmission issues

Hi I am a new to RC and I am building a hotshot I have attempted to pair but have been left with a green flashing light and beeping with working steering but no drive could you please advise 

What radio / ESC / Motor system have you got ? . You have you been able to pair your handset to your receiver as you have steering , so lets go from there . Do you have pics of your set-up ?

ESC (TEU-101BK) and Tamiya RC Motor 23T Brushed 540 - Super Stock RZ  I have been able to pair I think as steering works but drive doesn’t 

Are you using a receiver with built in BEC ? . The 101bk doesn't have BEC and is quite an old model now . Does the motor make any sound when throttle is moved ? . Have you checked the ESC set up as this can be fiddly on the 101bk . Check the motor wires are correctly pressed into the bullets . 

Motor makes no sound When connected to esc I think esc set up is correct as moves steering and I have  tightened  connectors and reprogrammed esc even ran  motor by self and does power up and run don’t worry I’ll start again tomorrow  

Battery fully charged ?

Try swapping your steering servo plug to the throttle channel on your receiver to check that throttle channel is working , the throttle stick should move the steering - if it doesn't it could be a dud receiver - which receiver have you got ?

23 hours ago, Mark638 said:

ESC (TEU-101BK) and Tamiya RC Motor 23T Brushed 540 - Super Stock RZ  I have been able to pair I think as steering works but drive doesn’t 

One thing that caught my eye is the RZ is probably out of specs for the ESC? I had ran it with a Sports Tuned for ages, but a RZ is more demanding than a ST. 

• Like 1

I did think that might be a possibilty , but not having an RZ , I couldn't say , but I thought the motor would make some sort of response to the throttle command ?

Found this on a previous topic :-

TEU101 cannot handle insane current. It's rated for 60amps continuous. A silver can is capable of pulling around 50amps at stall (zero rpm). At stall the RZ easily pulls over 100amps. This means if you gear an RZ too low, you will overheat the 101BK. I know cause I've done it with both an RZ and a TZ. The TZ was in a Lunchbox w/ stock gearing. It would run about 10 minutes w/ stock gearing. The RZ was in a Hotshot w/ the smallest pinion (13T) that would fit. It only overheats in the 110*f Vegas summer.

* So the motor should at least run . I would suggest an ESC upgrade anyway the 101 is a bit outdated

15 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Found this on a previous topic :-

TEU101 cannot handle insane current. It's rated for 60amps continuous. A silver can is capable of pulling around 50amps at stall (zero rpm). At stall the RZ easily pulls over 100amps. This means if you gear an RZ too low, you will overheat the 101BK. I know cause I've done it with both an RZ and a TZ. The TZ was in a Lunchbox w/ stock gearing. It would run about 10 minutes w/ stock gearing. The RZ was in a Hotshot w/ the smallest pinion (13T) that would fit. It only overheats in the 110*f Vegas summer.

* So the motor should at least run . I would suggest an ESC upgrade anyway the 101 is a bit outdated

A other thought is (I am not familiar with the Hotshot though), is the pinion position correct? Another member used the wrong side of the motor plate for a TT02 and jammed the pinion against the spur. Set the pinion correctly and everything works out. A possibility here? 

• Like 1

A possibility for sure  , the op can check through that . The motor pinion could be removed to see if there is any difference,  or remove the motor from the car and try it hooked up to ESC

38 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

TEU101 cannot handle insane current. It's rated for 60amps continuous.

Just an addition: This 60A vs turns thing don't make any sense to me. The HW1060 is also rated for 60A/360A and it can do 12T motors? What gives? Having said that, the limit on Tamiya ESCs is real. I had tripped a TBLE-04S on a RZ before. 

As a matter of fact, I am also browsing for BL ESC earlier today, and a 120A can do 4.5T (8000KV) while a 150A can only do 3000kv (13.5T)???

1060 is my go to for my runners , I've not gone below 15T . I have one 120a bl ESC/motor combo in a Lunchie.

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

1060 is my go to for my runners , I've not gone below 15T . I have one 120a bl ESC/motor combo in a Lunchie.

I had basically given up on Tamiya ESCs, will still use the ones I have but will try to buy kits without. Like you said, 1060 with 15T is fine, but try that on a 101... Yet they both have a 60A rating? 

I am looking for a ESC for a 4.5T and is right at the limit for a 120A. So when I saw a 150A, I thought great! Yet in the specs, it can only do the equivalent of a 13.5T in kv? Really don't understand.