Frog Jumper

CC-02: post build thoughts

33 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Awesome info here! Makes me look forward to building my CC-02 Unimog! I want to set up Magnet Mounts so I can swap my Landfreeder Body from my CC-01 - which has been a huge money pit over 12 years! But I've got a lot of details on that Body, including Full Light Kit. 

Is there a decent, Axle Mounted Servo kit for these yet? Possibly a VERTICALLY mounted Servo, for space issues?🤔 

I think there's a thread in the builds section where someone prints an axle mounted servo bracket - but I've had a search and the link escapes me (but I'm certain there's one somewhere!)

Edit: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5229208

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

I think there's a thread in the builds section where someone prints an axle mounted servo bracket - but I've had a search and the link escapes me (but I'm certain there's one somewhere!)

@Frog Jumper THANK YOU! I'm sold!! Now I just gotta FIND them. And figure out what size for a 95mm Tire....

@BuggyGuy THANKS!! I've got a Sovol SV02 3D Printer that I still haven't figured out how to even TURN ON!! 🙄  But at some point that will be the first thing I try. 

2 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

@Frog Jumper THANK YOU! I'm sold!! Now I just gotta FIND them. And figure out what size for a 95mm Tire....

@BuggyGuy THANKS!! I've got a Sovol SV02 3D Printer that I still haven't figured out how to even TURN ON!! 🙄  But at some point that will be the first thing I try. 

I bought “large”, which were about 3.5” diameter and 1.5” thick.  Like I said they were too big for my 1.55s.  I’d like to try “medium”, but I’m having second thoughts since I will have paid about $50 for all of it, and I can get WP lazerfoams for that much…

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

....... I’m having second thoughts since I will have paid about $50 for all of it, and I can get WP lazerfoams for that much…

$50???!!! 🤯😲  That's no bargain. 

21 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

$50???!!! 🤯😲  That's no bargain. 

Yeah no kidding.  This all started when I started searching for waterproof tire foams.  Regular foam acts like a sponge when it get wet and I’m planning on getting my CC02 very wet.  My search turned up LazerFoams which are ridiculously expensive, and it also turned up that video.  After shipping, 4 donuts cost me $24, which I can stomach.  Too bad they didn’t fit…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

.......  After shipping, 4 donuts cost me $24, which I can stomach.  Too bad they didn’t fit…

That's not awful. Those might be great for my Wraith. Maybe I'll try Medium...

I'd also consider these closed cell foams from Crawler Innovations, they are the same type of material as the laserfoams (closed cell foam), and slightly cheaper from what I can tell. I've used these on a crawler that regularly got wet and they held up just fine. https://www.amainhobbies.com/crawler-innovations-deuces-wild-1.55-single-stage-closed-cell-foam-2-cwr-3019/p718534

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bash said:

I'd also consider these closed cell foams from Crawler Innovations, they are the same type of material as the laserfoams (closed cell foam), and slightly cheaper from what I can tell. I've used these on a crawler that regularly got wet and they held up just fine. https://www.amainhobbies.com/crawler-innovations-deuces-wild-1.55-single-stage-closed-cell-foam-2-cwr-3019/p718534

My experience with Closed Cell Foam is that they tend to be pretty stiff.  What did you think???

Terry

• Like 1

They weren't too bad, but I was using a pretty soft compound tire. I've never used pitbull tires, so I can't say for sure if they would be too stiff, but I was also running them on a truck that was about 7 lbs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

My experience with Closed Cell Foam is that they tend to be pretty stiff.  What did you think???

Terry

I agree.... hard as ROCKS, not allowing any Tire Conformation on uneven surfaces. Hardcore Crawlers here in the Colonies like them for their heavy Rigs.... 

A CC-02 is anything BUT heavy. 

4 minutes ago, Bash said:

......but I was also running them on a truck that was about 7 lbs.

I've run them on my 12lb Wraith, with pretty good results.... EXCEPT on Sand, they were terrible!

So I’ve given up on foams for the time being…

In the meantime, I’ve adjusted my wheelbase from 242 to 247mm by flipping the front link connections. The BF body looks better with the slight change and I didn’t have to move my shock towers or body mounts.

My latest focus has been axle steering.  @Bash did me a huge solid by 3D printing @eness76’s plate.  But it’s too brittle…

Here is a pix with my servo taped in place.  I need a low-profile servo ($90) or I need to do some minor mods on the chassis center plate (free or cost of replacement parts tree).  I’m leaning towards surgery…

LP5iEIo.jpg

• Like 1

During Little Zoey’s last bath, I noticed the front drive shaft was starting to twist. Unfortunate…

kenls7i.jpg

The rear doesn’t look as bad.

4dJsyqJ.jpg

The biggest issue with the kit CC02 shafts, at least in the Defender kit, is that the front shaft is too short.  Even at 247mm, more  of the shaft is revealed than should be.

I elected to fit steel hop-ups.  CR01 85mm shaft in front and CC02 75mm shaft in rear.

AUFiWkh.jpg

Once I removed the kit shafts, I found the twist was much worse than it originally appeared.

Front:

4vig1nA.jpg

Rear:

3J9Yblf.jpg

CR01 shaft:

ZJaleqf.jpg

CC02 shaft:

1VjQXBQ.jpg

The instructions are nearly identical in case anyone is interested.

Front:

yGmD3E1.jpg

Rear:

ORZVDfc.jpg

personally, I recommend these hop-ups.  They are nice and smooth.  And the 85mm fits perfectly.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

And the 85mm fits perfectly.  

Indicating the 75mm doesn't? 

5 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Indicating the 75mm doesn't? 

You be the judge.

10 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

During Little Zoey’s last bath, I noticed the front drive shaft was starting to twist. Unfortunate…

kenls7i.jpg

The rear doesn’t look as bad.

4dJsyqJ.jpg

The biggest issue with the kit CC02 shafts, at least in the Defender kit, is that the front shaft is too short.  Even at 247mm, more  of the shaft is revealed than should be.

I elected to fit steel hop-ups.  CR01 85mm shaft in front and CC02 75mm shaft in rear.

AUFiWkh.jpg

Once I removed the kit shafts, I found the twist was much worse than it originally appeared.

Front:

4vig1nA.jpg

Rear:

3J9Yblf.jpg

CR01 shaft:

ZJaleqf.jpg

CC02 shaft:

1VjQXBQ.jpg

The instructions are nearly identical in case anyone is interested.

Front:

yGmD3E1.jpg

Rear:

ORZVDfc.jpg

personally, I recommend these hop-ups.  They are nice and smooth.  And the 85mm fits perfectly.  

I must keep an eye on mine especially as I’ve put a fair bit of weight into the front wheels/tyres!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

You be the judge.

No intentions whatsoever, just wondering. As far as I can tell from the pictures it fits perfectly as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

No intentions whatsoever, just wondering. As far as I can tell from the pictures it fits perfectly as well.

At 247mm, about half of the fluted shaft is exposed (and does nothing), leaving only half of the shaft to do all the work.  I felt it was too short, even though it does span the length required.

Looking back at my photos from when I had it set up for 242mm, the 75mm shaft fits much better (and IMO is the appropriate length).  Only about 1/4 of the fluting is exposed (similar to the rear shaft I have pictured above).  

Just be aware...

Terry

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

I must keep an eye on mine especially as I’ve put a fair bit of weight into the front wheels/tyres!!

Yeah, I've added a significant amount of weight to my CC02...

Terry

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 9:48 AM, Frog Jumper said:

So I’ve given up on foams for the time being…

In the meantime, I’ve adjusted my wheelbase from 242 to 247mm by flipping the front link connections. The BF body looks better with the slight change and I didn’t have to move my shock towers or body mounts.

My latest focus has been axle steering.  @Bash did me a huge solid by 3D printing @eness76’s plate.  But it’s too brittle…

Here is a pix with my servo taped in place.  I need a low-profile servo ($90) or I need to do some minor mods on the chassis center plate (free or cost of replacement parts tree).  I’m leaning towards surgery…

LP5iEIo.jpg

Terry, any more pictures of that Axle Mounted Servo setup? I'm hopefully FINALLY getting started on my CC-02 Unimog... I might be able to make something like that! 🤔 

..... since we're all scientific here! 🤪🙄😅😂🤣

On 4/18/2022 at 9:29 AM, BuggyGuy said:

Thank you again! (IF I forgot the first time!)

NOW I need to beg someone to print one for me... or two. In case I get a second CC-02, or I just SCREW UP!! 😵🙄

Carmine, it’s not hard to make your own.  I used a length of 1/8” aluminum, a hacksaw and file, and a drill.  I added some inserts from the ORV tranny and some servo mounts.

S4MvjRX.jpg

ETA. Looks like I said this already…. I’ll try to snap some more pix and take some measurements this weekend. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Carmine, it’s not hard to make your own.  I used a length of 1/8” aluminum, a hacksaw and file, and a drill.  I added some inserts from the ORV tranny and some servo mounts.

S4MvjRX.jpg

ETA. Looks like I said this already…. I’ll try to snap some more pix and take some measurements this weekend. 

Thank you Brother! ORV "nut-serts" I thought so. 😀  I've got a spare Axial Wraith Servo mount plate, that might just work! The extra pix and measurements would really be helpful. Thank you!

Update to the thread, with pictures!

1. Rear:  Yeah Racing rear skid plate, 75mm steel Tamiya drive shaft, Jaz Hobby aluminum links, Desert Lizard 100mm shocks, Injora 12mm brass hexes with nuts, SSD 1.9 steel slots, Pitbull Rock Beasts.  Not shown: JunFac steel in the axle, XL hair bun donut foams.

7kXGZ53.jpg

2. Front:  Same as rear, but with 85mm drift shaft.

V2NODva.jpg

3. Center:  Yeah Racing skid, Injora sliders, Eagle Racing Link Connectors.

TIqkR6n.jpg

4. Battery tray:  Kit flapper turned 180 to support shorty battery.  DIY brass tube “mufflers” (rear slides).

mERragU.jpg

5. Front: DIY axle servo mount, JunFac steering kit, 

LYREhe8.jpg

6. Front: DIY Chinese food tub fenders, Dual sound box, magnet mounts, Yeah Racing front skid bumper.

XAPCA8d.jpg

7. Top: Lots of stick on weights, DIY motor spacer, Kyosho motor boot, Dual sound box, magnet mounts, DIY Chinese food tub fenders.  Not shown: Tamiya metal motor brace, Tamiya spur gear mount.

eT3DXx7.jpg

Stainless steel hex hardware throughout.  I think that’s all of it, but I’m probably forgetting something.

Also, wheelbase, at rest with droop, is approx 244mm.

Terry

• Like 5