Exit13

Wild Willys Soft Top + Pinion Issues

I was told this is a do it yourself mod. 

fCpLC4j.png

as you can see in this advertisement they give you the measurements  Has anyone done this and if so what are you using for fabric and what’s doing for attaching the fabric to the windshield frame / side rails and tailgate ?  I’m going to give us a shot  

On 4/6/2022 at 12:23 AM, Exit13 said:

[...]
as you can see in this advertisement they give you the measurements  Has anyone done this and if so what are you using for fabric and what’s doing for attaching the fabric to the windshield frame / side rails and tailgate ?  I’m going to give us a shot  

One of the first and coolest Wild Willys I saw more than 20 years ago here on Tamiyaclub was by fellow member Kaindi - and it had a soft top. That inspired me to make mine back in 2004.

Kaindis soft top Wild Willy

simensays_kaindi_ww.jpg

I used the template pictured in the first post, but redrew everything in Illustrator and removed the extra material pictured between the roof panel and the rear wall panel (this part is suppose to wrap around and be sown in around the soft top frame (?) as per the illustration). I bought some thin canvas, as thicker materials will not looks scale. I used some thick clear plastic bag for the rear window, and sewed everything up. Materials (fabric and window) can be found around the house (an old shirt and plastic bag etc), and the actual soft top is very easy to make. I used some heavy duty steel thread to make the rear frame loop. The challenge was fasteing the front of the soft top to the rollbar. I drilled and screwd in some shortened screws into the front roll bar - this was the most complacated job. Attaching the soft top in the rear is pretty straight forward, as it simply slips down between the body and the rear tailgate and secured when the tailgate/spare wheel cover is screwed in. 

I worked everything out from the pictures, and improvised whenever I needed. I have played around with designing a front mount for attaching the soft top and 3D printing it, but have not completed the job as I've not planned on making another soft top WW, and the first one holds up perfectly.

simensays_wild_willy_hoody_1.jpg
simensays_wild_willy_hoody_2.jpg
simensays_wild_willy_hoody_3.jpg
simensays_wild_willy_hoody_4.jpg

• Like 10

On 4/5/2022 at 3:23 PM, Exit13 said:

fCpLC4j.png

I built one based off these dimension and Simensays references

img3758_07042014000933_1.jpg

img3758_07042014000933_10.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NWarty said:

I built one based off these dimension and Simensays references

img3758_07042014000933_1.jpg

img3758_07042014000933_10.jpg

I’ll be there. How do you attach to tailgate and side rails?

7 hours ago, simensays said:

One of the first and coolest Wild Willys I saw more than 20 years ago here on Tamiyaclub was by fellow member Kaindi - and it had a soft top. That inspired me to make mine back in 2004.

Kaindis soft top Wild Willy

simensays_kaindi_ww.jpg

I used the template pictured in the first post, but redrew everything in Illustrator and removed the extra material pictured between the roof panel and the rear wall panel (this part is suppose to wrap around and be sown in around the soft top frame (?) as per the illustration). I bought some thin canvas, as thicker materials will not looks scale. I used some thick clear plastic bag for the rear window, and sewed everything up. Materials (fabric and window) can be found around the house (an old shirt and plastic bag etc), and the actual soft top is very easy to make. I used some heavy duty steel thread to make the rear frame loop. The challenge was fasteing the front of the soft top to the rollbar. I drilled and screwd in some shortened screws into the front roll bar - this was the most complacated job. Attaching the soft top in the rear is pretty straight forward, as it simply slips down between the body and the rear tailgate and secured when the tailgate/spare wheel cover is screwed in. 

I worked everything out from the pictures, and improvised whenever I needed. I have played around with designing a front mount for attaching the soft top and 3D printing it, but have not completed the job as I've not planned on making another soft top WW, and the first one holds up perfectly.

simensays_wild_willy_hoody_1.jpg
simensays_wild_willy_hoody_2.jpg
simensays_wild_willy_hoody_3.jpg
simensays_wild_willy_hoody_4.jpg

Oh. I think I get it. Thanks 

11 hours ago, Exit13 said:

What are the side rails you mention? If this is the rear frame/loop, see the illustration - it is attached under the rear roll bar loop.
Pull the rear flap of the soft top down and sandwich it between the body and tailgate. Attach the tailgate as you would without the soft top. You will need to punch a small hole in the fabric where the mounting screw for the tailgate and the spare goes, but do this after things are placed (use an awl or similar).

7 hours ago, simensays said:

What are the side rails you mention? If this is the rear frame/loop, see the illustration - it is attached under the rear roll bar loop.
Pull the rear flap of the soft top down and sandwich it between the body and tailgate. Attach the tailgate as you would without the soft top. You will need to punch a small hole in the fabric where the mounting screw for the tailgate and the spare goes, but do this after things are placed (use an awl or similar).

I’m a Jeep guy (1:1) and I thought I was building side windows too. I see now that this soft top is “safari style”. It just attaches in the front and the back. Now on to my real problem. The Willy’s motor is smoked and the pinion is pressed on. All the other pinions I have appear to be way differ pitch?

7n65Rji.jpg

Yup, the WW motor has a pressed on pinion different from most other models. Plenty of questions touching on this in these forums, but not really any good solutions or answers, and probably why WW motors sell for big bucks. It is hard to tell why this has happened to your WW, as this is not really a common problem. Accurate assembly and good gear mesh is key to prevent this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simensays said:

Yup, the WW motor has a pressed on pinion different from most other models. Plenty of questions touching on this in these forums, but not really any good solutions or answers, and probably why WW motors sell for big bucks. It is hard to tell why this has happened to your WW, as this is not really a common problem. Accurate assembly and good gear mesh is key to prevent this.

Thanks. I will assume a replacement WW motor is the optimum  solution and I will plan accordingly.

Double check if the motor is wrecked, or if the problem is something else. I can't see how you can wreck the motor. What batteries/electronics are you running?

I'm continuously looking for WW motors myself, but have not found any (worth buying) the last few years... 

My equipment is as follows and shown below 

lCDhbOX.jpg

speed control : Tamiya TBLE02S 

battery: VP RACING  3700 NiMH 

radio: flysky GT3C

the current issue with my motor is the non pinion side has tons of slop. The sounds coming from the spinning motor is Horrendous

i06y8kY.jpg

note the center of ww motor non pinion side. Note a typical 80’s Tamiya motor. I believe the typically motor is from sonic fighter but I could be wrong. 

Harvest-able motors (with similar traits) in my arsenal include 

grass hoppers’s 540 

TEcWUXT.jpg

thunder shot’s 540

nmYI1oo.jpg

are my choices should I decide to pull something apart to attempt a fix for my issue. 

Thundershot will be the donor 

ggfvYUG.jpg

Wow. Old Willy’s motor insides in way better shape. 
lJ6XcMm.jpg

Willy’s top. T shot bottom 

• Like 1

qFCrEd4.jpg

LDQtaXr.jpg

let’s get it soldered up

NKMfocx.jpg

this might just work out. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 6:20 PM, Exit13 said:

Hey Exit,

Sorry for the late reply, but the rear flap is screwed down, the side flaps are heavy enough to where they will stay in place without being glued/or affixed to the sides.

The canvas that I used for the top came from a genuine US Army-issue A-frame shelter half tent.

Future problems solved 

zKBGa4U.jpg

new old stock wild willys motor!!

• Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 5:43 PM, Exit13 said:

new old stock wild willys motor!!

May I ask where you got that from?

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 2:21 PM, Juggular said:

May I ask where you got that from?

Sure it was from eBay seller Victor101s RC Car Shop

• Thanks 1