Golden

Small and cheap esc and battery…

Just because…. I wanted to see if I could get a cheapo rc car up and running again after the electronics failed some years ago (actually - I think I left the batteries in and they leaked after many years…). It’s a crappy £15 thing from about 20 years ago which I ended up giving to my 4 year old, which she uses along with her hotwheels - but I thought I’d try to stick some electronics in it to see if I could get it working. Have chopped the tub a bit to jam it all in - and it does work around the house - so was quite pleased with myself…(!). 

I’d like to swap out the hobbywing 1060 and half decent 7.4 carson lion battery I’m using with it though (all I had lying around which I thought might fit…) as need those for other projects (that battery is for my mini lunch box and dual rider… but is a bgger to swap out of this model as it’s not designed to have the body removed quickly) - and I wondered whether anyone could recommend anything small and cheap to replace them? Nothing fancy -  It literally just needs to work - and with a flysky receiver. Cheaper the better, and something small would be ideal. The motor is really diddy - and the car took 4 x 1.5 AA batteries originally(!). 

As you can see - it’s a cheapo project - but would be cool to have it as something to use on occassion inside - as I love all things Subaru…

Many thanks!

B1FB0F5B-6EA0-4598-A295-E81AB4FD4587.jpeg

6F2EAEE1-B54E-418E-B539-75DE6A517975.jpeg

Smaller will be the 1625, but since you got enough room in this for the 1060, just leave it in there. I used the 1625 for my SW-01.

Or alternatively, an Autosport20. 

The Autosport20 should be slightly cheaper than the 1625, just slightly. But the 1625 will be better as it supports lipo and has a more "normal" brake-reverse cycle. 

Thanks for this. Will check them out. Cheap and cheerful is all that’s required just to make this functional - and salvage my half decent electronics out of it!

Cut a hole in the chassis and wire in a charging port?

So you don't have to remove the shell every time.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:09 PM, Golden said:

Cheaper the better, and something small would be ideal.

10 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Cut a hole in the chassis and wire in a charging port?

So you don't have to remove the shell every time.

I missed the part about your battery. Get one of these (1600mah also available but 1000 should fit better/easier), loop the balance port outside for charging, it can remain attached to the ESC of your choice inside. 

URGENEX 2S Lipo Battery 7.4v Lipo with JST Plug, RC Lipo Batteries 35C 1000mah Lipo Batteries for WLtoys Rc Cars A949 A959 A969 A979 K929 https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Y8YN283/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_M4VDXX2T9VSSRX09CTG6

I also use them on my SW-01s. 

You might use something like this thingshould be available in most regions for quite cheap.
(the search keywords to find them are: brush brake reverse esc and then sort by price)

Ive got one ive ran in a small custom built rc chassi and it works just fine, used with a flysky 3ch rx, 2s lipo or 4xAAs.

If you get a battery with a jst and a balance lead you can charge through the balande lead, leave the jst connected and have the on/off easily available .

Great - thanks everyone. I can poke the charging lead between the chassis and the shell - and will check out the links. 

I’ve got a Mardave mini and it uses a mtronics viper esc that’s really small. Can get the auto tune version on eBay for around £18 too. Not sure what voltage you can use with it though as only use 4.8v battery’s.