silvertriple

Another Marui project - Ninja / Shogun

I've also printed tires for the Ninja...
LCC5xyH.jpg

I've printed rims also for the occasion with some white added to the red :-)
https://www.youtube.com/T0uYhtJJcRM 

And that's how this looks like
iBW6paT.jpg

And on the car now... I really need to do the paint job, now (I'll need this car to be ready for a Vintage event mid may).
KMT2yVI.jpg
kW7XSZ5.jpg
O6zkIRs.jpg
ObSsbK6.jpg
pW0517W.jpg

And for comparison with original cracked tires
TXiR9YX.jpg
35kknaU.jpg

With the DST changes last week, the days are getting slightly longer, and the weather starts to be good enough to consider paintjobs. I had a lot of those to tackle, and that start by the Ninja...
PuhbQt3.jpg
bV5VMMw.jpg
BjixR80.jpg
h0GwfXw.jpg
z9Okk58.jpg
u6IoyPU.jpg
TGMPgmQ.jpg
0ybLjhZ.jpg

I'm really happy how this turns, as I had a small doubt when choosing the Dark Gun Metal for the bodyshell... Simple but classy, and as good as the original black, IMHO...

Had to add the driver figure, otherwise it would be missing, and a car running without a driver is not an option in my case...

I painted it last night, and added the finishing touch this morning... And it joined the car when ready :-)
LW1HE9c.jpg
W9uqqPF.jpg
rCLYDse.jpg
z1OqhlY.jpg
48NYryQ.jpg

And I took few pictures with the Samurai as well...
AV2YK1r.jpg
3kzWST3.jpg
UFMF4zd.jpg
PfKOZHC.jpg

I still need to add a RX and an ESC to the Ninja and it will be ready for runs in vintage events in May...

• Like 2

Until now, the Ninja was not in situation to run... It was missing electronics...

A Tamiya black Sport Tuned and an ESC arrived today...

Time to scan one motor isolator, to do something in Silhouette Studio and to plot it in a cardboard made from an Amazon enveloppe...
EZCpCG1.jpg

And here we have a part which is too often missing in the cars I got used...
io2q1Wj.jpg

RX, Motor and ESC quickly joined the Ninja with one of the part cut in the afternoon... I tried to keep the ESC in the overal theme of the car, just because...
WLSJAz1.jpg

I did a short run on the pathway, just to set the trims and to check if the car was running fine... Another car ready for the vintage events of this year...

• Like 1

I've been following your posts as I'm currently rebuilding a Samurai & a Ninja that I picked up a while back, and I'm seriously impressed with your skills. 

Upon stripping my Ninja down, the gearbox was packed with a thick dark grease, and once I cleaned it up I've found the metal bevel gears have virtually dissolved!  I've been searching for some alternatives that will fit, or some 3D printed ones that would work, but can I ask if you know of anything that would suffice?

The nylon gears appear to be fine, it's the four metal bevel gears that are affected.

Thanks, Rob 

GEar 1.jpg

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, 73robb said:

I've been following your posts as I'm currently rebuilding a Samurai & a Ninja that I picked up a while back, and I'm seriously impressed with your skills. 

Upon stripping my Ninja down, the gearbox was packed with a thick dark grease, and once I cleaned it up I've found the metal bevel gears have virtually dissolved!  I've been searching for some alternatives that will fit, or some 3D printed ones that would work, but can I ask if you know of anything that would suffice?

The nylon gears appear to be fine, it's the four metal bevel gears that are affected.

Thanks, Rob 

GEar 1.jpg

The metal bevel gears appear to be more and more difficult to find. And I did stage, I did not started any work on Marui 4WD gearset. I have this in mind, but there is multiple issues around this topic:

- some of the gears are common to Samurai, Ninja, Shogun and Coors (all bevel gears including metal bevel gears and small nylon bevel gear (the nylon ones were replaced by metal ones for the Shogun and Coors))

- the out diffs have a spline definition which would be difficult to reproduce using 3D prints, and further, there is 3 definitions involved (Samurai front have different lengths).

- there is quite a lot of adjustment possibly needed while relying on 3D prints

I'm really surprised by the state of those metal bevel gears: among the car I have, non is showing such a bad state on those bevel gears... They are basically dead, and at this stage, you may want to find spares or a car which have them in proper state (Samurai, Shogun, Coors, Ninja)...

That said, follow this thread and the Samurai thread, as soon as I'm trying something on those gears (which may not be right now as I'm trying to finish few other projects first), I'll update them...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, silvertriple said:

The metal bevel gears appear to be more and more difficult to find. And I did stage, I did not started any work on Marui 4WD gearset. I have this in mind, but there is multiple issues around this topic:

- some of the gears are common to Samurai, Ninja, Shogun and Coors (all bevel gears including metal bevel gears and small nylon bevel gear (the nylon ones were replaced by metal ones for the Shogun and Coors))

- the out diffs have a spline definition which would be difficult to reproduce using 3D prints, and further, there is 3 definitions involved (Samurai front have different lengths).

- there is quite a lot of adjustment possibly needed while relying on 3D prints

I'm really surprised by the state of those metal bevel gears: among the car I have, non is showing such a bad state on those bevel gears... They are basically dead, and at this stage, you may want to find spares or a car which have them in proper state (Samurai, Shogun, Coors, Ninja)...

That said, follow this thread and the Samurai thread, as soon as I'm trying something on those gears (which may not be right now as I'm trying to finish few other projects first), I'll update them...

Thanks for the reply - I've never seen anything like this in any of the cars I've previously restored, I can only think the grease that had been used had something in it that attached the metal, though the other metal parts appear fine.  I'll have to bite the bullet on some replacements or keep looking for a donor car, but there doesn't seem to be anything like a 'cheap' donor car nowadays!

I'll keep following your posts, as you have done some fantastic work on you cars 

Thanks,

Rob