Sign in to follow this  
JeffSpicoli

Chassis ID please

Can someone confirm if this is the Jager NSU TT chassis?

I've heard that wheelbase is adjustable, is that true?

Thank you,

Spicoli

img19357_16032008131118_4_1100_.jpg

Nsu use m-05 chassis  front motore, front wheel drive.This looks like a 4wd chassis, maybe not from Tamiya.

1 hour ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Can someone confirm if this is the Jager NSU TT chassis?

I've heard that wheelbase is adjustable, is that true?

Thank you,

Spicoli

img19357_16032008131118_4_1100_.jpg

No it is not. Here is what the "correct" chassis looks like, although mine is the Ra variety of the M-05.

If this came with a NSU you just bought, then it had been bashed together. For example, I have a 3Racing MG Evo under my NSU shell. 

That looks a bit like an Xpress XM1 but with just 1 picture, I cannot say for sure. Also, I am not sure if that chassis can do 239mm WB. Can you confirm that the NSU you got is a real Tamiya one as there are other NSU shells with shorter WB. 

I'm trying to find a good donor chassis for the Lunchbox.

I've done the measuring - the lunchbox body is 298mm bumper to bumper, and 133mm wide.

I'm def finding 210mm options but the width is the sticking point most are 160mm.

11 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

I'm trying to find a good donor chassis for the Lunchbox.

I've done the measuring - the lunchbox body is 298mm bumper to bumper, and 133mm wide.

I'm def finding 210mm options but the width is the sticking point most are 160mm.

210mm is easy, Tamiya's own M chassis, 3Racing M/G/4/5, Xpress XM1/2, etc... There is a wider M Chassis from MST, the TCR-M can be built to 173mm wide but you will need extra parts (CVD drive shaft) which may be hard to source. Also, that is a very basic pan/formula car style type, which may not be what you want. 

EDIT: Just reread your post, you want narrower not wider is it? 

@alvinlwh  

I'm open to anything, I'm really most concerned with a good fit of the body, I don't want too much poke of the wheels.  I want it to look convincing that it be a real kit.  I'm open to pan cars, m chassis, etc.

I just want to avoid time and money if I can or if someone knows something that would be ideal.   Appreciate your help thus far.

33 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

@alvinlwh  

I'm open to anything, I'm really most concerned with a good fit of the body, I don't want too much poke of the wheels.  I want it to look convincing that it be a real kit.  I'm open to pan cars, m chassis, etc.

I just want to avoid time and money if I can or if someone knows something that would be ideal.   Appreciate your help thus far.

Just thought you should be aware the shell in that project is not a Lunchbox. 

"It soon turned out that I had to use the Parma lexan shell for this project." 

https://www.kamtec.co.uk/epages/BT4645.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4645/Products/K0034[3]&Locale=en_GB

"Dimensions of the body are 325mm long , 203 wheelbase , 150mm wide and 110 high once cut" 

Which no M Chassis are 203mm WB. The closest is the TCR-M, swapping parts around allows 204mm.

Your problem is width. TCR-M track width is 164mm using kit wheels, meaning the wheels will stick out by 7mm each side. 

Just now, JeffSpicoli said:

@alvinlwh yes i know that, i have the oem Lunchbox shell.

I am not at home and cannot measure my Lunchbox. Is the WB of Tamiya one also 203mm?

17 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I am not at home and cannot measure my Lunchbox. Is the WB of Tamiya one also 203mm?

According to Tamiyabase it's 207mm.

I measured the length of the shell and the width as well.

393mm x 171mm.

31 minutes ago, JeffSpicoli said:

I think I’m gonna try this MST - I can adjust the width to under 170mm and run 210 wb. 

OOB it is 164mm. Mine is currently on 210mm WB. Consider getting the springs set as the Lunchbox body is rather heavy and you may want to stiffen up the suspension. 

Get 2 kits and you can even build it as a twin motor 4WD.

14 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

@alvinlwh what are the specs on the wheels that fit?

The kit wheels and tyres (which are very nice) are different from Tamiya ones. The Tamiya M chassis tyres will not fit the kit wheels either. Also, the hex on the kit wheels are about half the depth of Tamiya’s. 

So if built as instructed, standard M chassis wheels and tyres cannot be used. However, normal wheels can be used, just that the brake discs and calipers cannot be used, just replace them with a standard hex and away you go. It is even in the instructions. 

qe2DDzV.jpg

If you can get hold of spare tyres (sold out at the moment), get them. 

51 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

The kit wheels and tyres (which are very nice) are different from Tamiya ones. The Tamiya M chassis tyres will not fit the kit wheels either. Also, the hex on the kit wheels are about half the depth of Tamiya’s. 

So if built as instructed, standard M chassis wheels and tyres cannot be used. However, normal wheels can be used, just that the brake discs and calipers cannot be used, just replace them with a standard hex and away you go. It is even in the instructions. 

qe2DDzV.jpg

If you can get hold of spare tyres (sold out at the moment), get them. 

I see, so there aren't other MFG (not Tamiya) whose hex wheels and tires will fit this kit?

2 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

I see, so there aren't other MFG (not Tamiya) whose hex wheels and tires will fit this kit?

Not that I am aware of but then I only have experience with 3 brands, Tamiya, 3Racing (same as Tamiya's 55D) and this MST. 

You can, in theory, use spacers to "push out" standard wheels. 2 or 2.5mm will do. 

But then, finding out about wheels and tyres is one of the hardest thing to do as quite often, their dimensions are not listed, not even on the manufacturer sites. I had a hard time finding wheels and tyres for my DT-02, real PITA. 

Also, I had not seen much manufactures of MTC sized wheels and tyres to begin with. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sweatpants said:

If no one said it, that’s an hpi rs4 mini

Thanks looks like you're right.   Also looks like it's not made anymore :-/

3 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

@alvinlwh

I'm looking at this, this might work better and maybe more wheel selection?

https://www.rcmart.com/xpress-execute-fm1s-1-10-fwd-sport-mini-touring-car-kit-xp-90018-00101798

I have no experience with Xpress yet as they are almost exclusively sold by RCMart which I tend to avoid. 

Are you looking for FWD now? The other non-Tamiya FWD MTC I have is the MG Evo (build thread linked in my first reply to you), extremely cheap, very adjustable, reasonable shipping if bought directly from 3R unlike the rip off shipping RCMart charges. 

https://3racing.shop/collections/mini-mg/products/kit-mini-mg-3racing-1-10-sakura-mini-mg-rc-car

3 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

@alvinlwh

I'm looking at this, this might work better and maybe more wheel selection?

https://www.rcmart.com/xpress-execute-fm1s-1-10-fwd-sport-mini-touring-car-kit-xp-90018-00101798

A lot of people race the Xpress cars at my club as a LHS carries them. They are generally very good. I havent seen that particular model but had seen the 4wd version, and the full size fwd and 4wd TC's and they are great. The current NZ champ in 21.5T runs one (the XQ10 though). The S models are generally cheaper versions (plastic instead of alloy etc) but the same geometry etc as the top models and all parts are interchangeable. Many people run the S cars and they keep up with XRay, Yokomo etc on the race track despite costing quarter as much. Most people do buy a couple of upgrades (things like swaybars for tuning, maybe upgrade front driveshafts to DCJ etc) but they are good to go out of the box, especially if not racing.

You won't be disappointed with anything from Xpress, as the cheap ones are cheap enough that you can accept their flaws (and afford upgrades) and the top cars come with everything you need at about 80% of the cost of an equivalent XRay, yoko etc 

Parts support is easy for me as the LHS carries parts, and RCMart has everything as well, but if RCMart aren't easy for you then that could be a problem. There are some US distributors though who carry the full range (I follow the rctech threads on them) but not sure about Europe, although probably since I've seen a review on thrcracer which Qatmix runs and isnt he UK based?

• Thanks 1

The chassis in the original post is a 4WD Mini chassis sold by Robbe in Germany. This is actually a copy/rebranded of a chassis produced by Active Hobby in the late 90's/early 2000's. It indeed takes a lot of cues from the HPI RS4 Mini, but it shares no parts at all. Interestingly it has aluminium chasiss decks and shocktowers in the Robbe guise. The Active Hobby also had an option for carbon fibre and some other option parts. I have both versions at home, should take some pictures of the Active Hobby.

• Thanks 1