Sign in to follow this  
Mrowka

AC or AC/DC Charger recommendation needed

I've been using a Prophet mini for years now, need something better, something that will put batteries at storage charge and otherwise optimize battery power and life. 

Mostly use LiPos. Race occasionally. Not much point in buying race-grade motors,  esc and batteries without a charger that will take advantage of these things.

Any suggestions? I am in the US.

2 hours ago, Mrowka said:

I've been using a Prophet mini for years now, need something better, something that will put batteries at storage charge and otherwise optimize battery power and life. 

Mostly use LiPos. Race occasionally. Not much point in buying race-grade motors,  esc and batteries without a charger that will take advantage of these things.

Any suggestions? I am in the US.

I use this, can set charge voltage (4.2/4.35/3.6/3.85V) and amp (1/2/3/5A), but not discharge. The main positive is the convenience, it can take QC3/4/PD via USB-C, which means if you have chargers for "useless things" like laptops or phones around the house (most of us do), you can just plug it into an existing charger to charge without needing to use up another socket. Also, in my car are QC chargers, so I can charge/top up when outside.

£23.15  50%OFF | ToolkitRC M4 Pocket DC 80W 5A XT30 XT60 Input USB-C Input/Output Charger for 1-4S LiPo Battery Quick Charger Function
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vMJezS

• Thanks 1

I like the SkyRC chargers for quality/functions/price. They are rebranded and sold as Hitec at Amain which could be useful, but I got mine from Banggood.

The S60 is the single,  D100 the dual and Q200 is the quad, all essentially the same but just with more channels, although the S60 will only go to 4S batteries which means it has a smaller balance plug than the others.

For something cheaper, the HTRC C240 has been great. Its the one I use all the time because its a dual charger (I have the SkyRC S60 which is a single). Its on sale at Banggood at the moment too I think so is really cheap

The big difference between these and more expensive is the charge and discharge rates. They charge at 1C happily but can't do the 20amp charge rates that some people use to get that last bit out of their batteries, and the discharge circuits are only 10w so will take ages to discharge a full lipo to storage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know, I never use storage charge mode on my LiPo's mainly because I am lazy.   I use a meter (voltage alarm) while driving and stop driving the car when the cell drops to about 3.75v.  Then when the cells relax a bit, the voltage rises up to about 3.85v which is perfect for storage voltage.

I have different chargers and one of them does not have storage charge mode.  Since I never use that mode, it works perfectly fine for me.  :D