toyolien

All Out Astute 2022 Build

Having pre-ordered the TD-4, I changed my mind once the Astute was announce. I've been hoping Tamiya would bring out some fresh buggies for a while so jumped on the TD-4 pre-order. However, I've always preferred 2wd, so here we are. This will be for fun as well as a spot of local club racing here and there. 

A lovely box art pic to start. More coming soon...

w9oWZIy.jpg

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

*pulls up chair, grabs popcorn and settles in for the long haul*

this is gonna be good….

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, matisse said:

*pulls up chair, grabs popcorn and settles in for the long haul*

this is gonna be good….

You do realize that chair (stool) in the photo is 1:10 scale..  :lol:;)

I'm also interested.  I have a thing for RWD cars. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

You do realize that chair (stool) in the photo is 1:10 scale..  :lol:;)

I'm also interested.  I have a thing for RWD cars. 

Well, he’ll be eating a 1/10 scale bag of popcorn then!

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 4/11/2022 at 3:07 PM, toyolien said:

A lovely box art pic to start. More coming

This is sooo insane. The picture literally looks 1:1. I saw it and thought that it must be uncomfortable to build the kit on that stool. Then i realized after willys comment only... Do You know the "Miniatur wunderland" in Hamburg? I guess you'd like it a lot !

• Like 3

I didn't intend to do a massively long build thread, but once again got carried away taking pics. So here we are.

Firstly, a few hop ups. All of these are absolutely essential. Well, that's what I told myself...

hvHtkgu.jpg

This has to be the most complex moulded chassis I've ever seen. It's a work of art in itself.

OtMxusF.jpg

FSvmqR4.jpg

First step is installing the beautiful blue motor plate, along with a couple of balls. Nice to see the inclusion of some foam dust covers too.

miIjLIV.jpg

Slipper clutch. In case you're not aware, the included spur gear is 48 pitch. Good job, as I have a fair few steel 48 pitch pinions.

joR0A9X.jpg

g53H6xn.jpg

More intricate foam cutting

T0PgPmq.jpg

scSgh27.jpg

rBY8W0I.jpg

Annoyingly, the instructions call for the hole used to adjust the slipper to have a plug glued in once you've tightened the slipper. I'd rather have seen some sort of removable plug instead. Will have a look at making one.

Shock tower, wing mounts and roll bar mounts.

DfCtabd.jpg

I'm also swapping out the steel turnbuckles for some nice TRF titanium ones.

JxDHKHB.jpg

And, will be using Tamiya's TBLM 10.5t motor.

f7oGWMH.jpg

CGoABNO.jpg

DEYW4GW.jpg

Ball diff time. All stock apart from swapping the steel balls for ceramic.

6yMORPx.jpg

I thought I'd taken another couple of pics of the diff, but obviously not, so here's one of the aluminium rear suspension mount instead.

WIrfsCi.jpg

Next up are the universals. Never liked dog bones so they're are another must, for me.

sO677xt.jpg

And, all installed.

x87MVny.jpg

H1GgMrI.jpg

That's all for now. More coming soon. I think the dampers are next.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Like a minpin? 

more like a Kingpin......geddit

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

I didn't intend to do a massively long build thread, but once again got carried away taking pics. So here we are.

Firstly, a few hop ups. All of these are absolutely essential. Well, that's what I told myself...

hvHtkgu.jpg

This has to be the most complex moulded chassis I've ever seen. It's a work of art in itself.

OtMxusF.jpg

FSvmqR4.jpg

First step is installing the beautiful blue motor plate, along with a couple of balls. Nice to see the inclusion of some foam dust covers too.

miIjLIV.jpg

Slipper clutch. In case you're not aware, the included spur gear is 48 pitch. Good job, as I have a fair few steel 48 pitch pinions.

joR0A9X.jpg

g53H6xn.jpg

More intricate foam cutting

T0PgPmq.jpg

scSgh27.jpg

rBY8W0I.jpg

Annoyingly, the instructions call for the hole used to adjust the slipper to have a plug glued in once you've tightened the slipper. I'd rather have seen some sort of removable plug instead. Will have a look at making one.

Shock tower, wing mounts and roll bar mounts.

DfCtabd.jpg

I'm also swapping out the steel turnbuckles for some nice TRF titanium ones.

JxDHKHB.jpg

And, will be using Tamiya's TBLM 10.5t motor.

f7oGWMH.jpg

CGoABNO.jpg

DEYW4GW.jpg

Ball diff time. All stock apart from swapping the steel balls for ceramic.

6yMORPx.jpg

I thought I'd taken another couple of pics of the diff, but obviously not, so here's one of the aluminium rear suspension mount instead.

WIrfsCi.jpg

Next up are the universals. Never liked dog bones so they're are another must, for me.

sO677xt.jpg

And, all installed.

x87MVny.jpg

H1GgMrI.jpg

That's all for now. More coming soon. I think the dampers are next.

Yasss!!! looks great!

plus you got the super rare db02 crown gears.... nice work

2 hours ago, matisse said:

Yasss!!! looks great!

plus you got the super rare db02 crown gears.... nice work

Turns out the gears aren't used on the td2 so just sold 'em👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, toyolien said:

I didn't intend to do a massively long build thread

https://imgur.com/a/9m19Q61

The photos of this being built in the garage is just a genius idea! Just when you think you can't enjoy watching someone elses build better than normal you go and chuck photos of it being build in a 1/10th setting! Epic! Please continue to do that as much as possible mateB)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kol__ said:

https://imgur.com/a/9m19Q61

The photos of this being built in the garage is just a genius idea! Just when you think you can't enjoy watching someone elses build better than normal you go and chuck photos of it being build in a 1/10th setting! Epic! Please continue to do that as much as possible mateB)

Thanks so much. I do really like taking pics in the scale garage. I think it adds a new level of fun to builds. Glad you like it too. Makes it worth while to me.

• Like 2

Damper time. I've built a few sets of these in the past. They are lovely to build.

Fcb9DB8.jpg

I've always used Team Associated Green Slime in the past, with mixed results. This is the first time trying Tamiya TRF damper seal grease.

kObWldB.jpg

NhpvOtB.jpg

I've started with kit included 'hard' oil, 2 hole pistons in the rear and 3 in the front.

QDu1lrW.jpg

Also going to try the kit springs.

jgajSqj.jpg

That's the rear of the car done.

SpA5kHa.jpg

On to the front.

3uyHnXx.jpg

2lkhEP1.jpg

P0GsFMF.jpg

DlhE9vS.jpg

I love how this all goes together. It's one of the most fun builds I've ever done.

N7Hu2fg.jpg

NgDelgJ.jpg

ea7CI27.jpg

And a few final shots of the completed chassis. Next up will be the electrics.

qHUrCQs.jpg

2miz877.jpg

GLjJsEZ.jpg

sKFeNPt.jpg

TzFEyse.jpg

015fmMj.jpg

Balanced on my body reamer.

KOwNH2W.jpg

• Like 16

Looking fantastic mate. Have you considered building a 4 or 2 post static hydraulic lift for the car to sit on and look like its being worked in whilst supports on that?B)

That's a sweet build @toyolien  I admire proper builds like this with proper hop-ups and modifications. 

Looking forward to the finished kit. B)

On 4/13/2022 at 12:17 PM, Kol__ said:

Looking fantastic mate. Have you considered building a 4 or 2 post static hydraulic lift for the car to sit on and look like its being worked in whilst supports on that?B)

Thank you. I haven't considered building one, but have thought about buying one. But, I think it would clutter up this smaller garage. Might look at it again on the future I guess.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:06 AM, Willy iine said:

Beautiful work @toyolien!

Thanks very much.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:16 PM, Nicadraus said:

That's a sweet build @toyolien  I admire proper builds like this with proper hop-ups and modifications. 

Looking forward to the finished kit. B)

Thank you. I like hop ups too.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:57 PM, redlinegw said:

I am planning on doing the same thing! Stoked to see how she runs on the track!

I'll let you know how it is compared to the B6.3 I ran last year for a few races.

On 4/14/2022 at 6:08 PM, bRIBEGuy said:

Great build so far.

Thanks.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:13 AM, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Going box art paint or something else?

Definitely not box art. 

The electrics are in. I'm using a Futaba low profile servo, Hobbywing Justock ESC and a Tamiya TBLM-02S 10.5t motor. Although there is a fair a mount of room, it's quite tight getting all the motor wires in and not having them foul on the inside of the body.

k7Ydz3Y.jpg

eSF9q9t.jpg

gr2hGIB.jpg

Everything sits nice and low in the chassis.

4atkhHv.jpg

pkPn9AM.jpg

r6S8aRh.jpg

The new driver figure is something I approve of. Not sure if Tamiya have done this before, but a figure head where I don't have to paint the face, amazing!

PoBVRz3.jpg

XjzIsPW.jpg

And, now just the body left. There's quite a lot of masking for such a simple body.

M9eDXCB.jpg

I never do box art, and this is no exception. I did plan on doing the body silver, but didn't have any and didn't want to drive to my local shop to get some, so went with another colour that I had. And, if I'm honest, I kind of prefer it.

KYtfqSX.jpg

And here we are done:

JknqfbJ.jpg

mHLlOZt.jpg

lKKQeIu.jpg

VLVpZQ3.jpg

pG82g8q.jpg

aI5VnpB.jpg

vCMib8Z.jpg

7SwI7PU.jpg

93JfhMl.jpg

77PqDkM.jpg

uJIA06o.jpg

0qsFDM2.jpg

I've still got to stick in the small interior part around the driver when it dries.

Overall, it's been a really enjoyable build. I am loving the better quality plastics that Tamiya are using for their higher end kits. My only two small negatives are 1) Removing the diff is a reasonably complex task (certainly compared to modern race buggies), and 2) You have to glue in the slipper clutch 'grommet' thingy. Terrible idea. But, I guess Tamiya's thinking is that once you've set the clutch as per the manual, you just drive it and have fun! And, that's exactly what I intend to do.

Thank for looking.

• Like 23

Love the story telling with you action schots in your scaled garage ! Its another way to follow along the journey of your building process.

It turns out really well, nice color pick for the shell. :wub:

• Like 1