toyolien

All Out Astute 2022 Build

The blue looks great mate, much better than box art imo, nicely doneB)

Just seen this thread. Absolutely brilliant all round. Thanks!!

• Like 1

I noticed that the springs for the TD2 point to the DT02 spring set.  That set comes with the same red soft springs in this kit and also the blue hard spring set.  The medium springs are the stock Sand viper springs.  I have built a few DT02/03's and added the red springs in the rear.  I'm thinking the TD2 needs the DT02 medium front spring?  I'm going to have to experiment when I get my kit in January. If that is the case will have to figure out what color to paint them to match

if anyone gets the tt02b/df03 aluminum dampers do not build them with the spacers shown in the instructions.  use zero internal spacers in front and 2 in the rear (Found those build instructions in the DT02-ms manual)  I tried building these exact dampers for the tt02b and was immediately frustrated as they were no better than CVA dampers.  only after rebuilding them with 0 front 2 rear internal spacers was my tt02b able to land jumps without chassis slap.  I'm pretty sure it will be the same story with the TD2

As far as more information on the DT02-ms damper build instructions Tamiya USA said that the original white damper springs are no longer available for purchase however you can use the stock front sand viper springs and also the red rear springs from the dt02 spring set as they are the exact same springs just not painted white.  You can actually build the stock CVA's really well if you use trf damper guides (replace bottom oring on all 4 dampers), use trf 3 hole pistons in front and one hole black pistons from the kit in the rear with 40wt associated oil using the springs mentioned.  To get more damper length up front you can buy the 6mm long eyelets that are normally used for the rear CVA's (only 2 included in the kit). not sure how this will work for the TD2 however I am going to find out soon :)

• Like 1

I somehow missed this build thread, possibly because I swore myself off the 2022 Astute having sunk my cash reserves into a TD4.

Lovely work and a great thread, thanks @toyolien.

Super colour too - I much prefer it to the red.

37 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I somehow missed this build thread, possibly because I swore myself off the 2022 Astute having sunk my cash reserves into a TD4.

Lovely work and a great thread, thanks @toyolien.

Super colour too - I much prefer it to the red.

Thanks very much. I've put the Astute away for the winter, but it'll be back in the spring. Hopefully with some new big bore dampers. It's such a fun buggy to drive. Was dubious about the colour to be honest, but I quite like it now. My only gripe with the buggy is I wish Tamiya would have made the access hole to the slipper clutch nut have a removable 'bung' rather than something you have to glue in. Other than that, it's marvellous. 

• Like 2

Nice build, instill think it needs a traditional front shock layout though.