Sign in to follow this  
RichieRich

RichieRich's FFs

Hey everyone. I wanted to post pics of my 99% finished Tamiya FF01 and FF03 cars. It's taken forever to get them to this point so I guess I'm kinda happy I'm about done.

First is my FF01 which started out as the FF01 New Beetle kit. I purchased it new on April 2, 2000. I raced it and wore out multiple VW New Beetle bodies and wheel sets. I've replaced the VW body with the Honda Castrol Civic body set.

Next is my JAS Honda Civic Type R FF03. I originally had this done minus the body attachments but the decals started peeling around the edges of the body. I removed most of the decals and purchased a new set from Tamiya USA (psst...they are having a sale on some FF03 parts.) Anyways, I made some edits to the decals and used the heat gun and now everything is sticking nicely. Also, I'd totally buy a Tamiya heat gun. I don't know how you can apply decals without one for some of these body sets. Seems like a missed opportunity for Tamiya. My heat gun has two settings, low and high. Even on low, you can only point the heat at the decal for about a second maybe two before things can get out of hand. Last item for this kit is installing the roof scoop and wing. They are primed but I need white paint and I've been lazy in obtaining it. :D 

civics.jpg

• Like 10

Love your Civics!

Regarding the heat gun topic: I use a normal hairdryer. On setting low it is perfect, as I can heat up the decal controlled. Worked very well on Jaccs Integra, HKS and other full body decal sets.

• Like 2

Very cool, the Castrol livery color combination is a classic.

For placing stickers, an alternative to increasing temperature is using ice to "quench" the sticker. This will reduce the compliance recovery compared with letting it cool down slowly. You can use mild temperature then quench, or for really stubborn stickers, use high temp and quench.

• Like 1

Nice photo! Reminds me of one of mine:

2022-04-14_01-40-02

Your decal edits look good - almost factory. I had to look quite closely at mine to figure out which of yours had been edited!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@TurnipJF Ha! Very nice set there! I originally wanted the Civic when I purchased the New Beetle. When they reissued the body set for the FF03, I had to get one. Of course, that required finding a new set of body posts.