dmelczer

First-person view inside a Tamiya car?

Update:  The parts have been ordered...a combination of Amazon and Ebay, mostly Amazon.  The EMax Transformer 2 headset/DVR unit is being shipped from China, so that delivery will take a while but the transmit-side components should all have arrived by this Saturday, so I'm eager to start implementing this...!

Again, I want to express my thanks to everyone who posted in this thread.  The knowledge has been invaluable and I'm going to use every bit of it...and @Alvinlwh, I managed to find a small switch with JST connectors on either side, so I will be able to turn off the camera and transmitter when not in use...I will place the switch inline between the battery and the UBEC.

So, after getting a few pieces of this puzzle at a time and spreading over several paychecks, I think I have everything that I need.  Hopefully I'll be able to assemble over the next few days and post my first video.  I'll post some pics of the setup as well.

• Like 1

This is the first run.  It's pretty glitchy on the video, so I may need to play around with the 5.8Ghz channels to get something much clearer.

I have to admit...it's a ton of fun driving with the headset on!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Still trying to figure out why all of the glitching, but I just ordered a few 8dBi gain antennas to replace the existing ones on the transmitter and receiver.  Hopefully this will help overcome the interference.  They should arrive mid to late this week.

This glitching is very frustrating...I get glitching literally on every channel and frequency.  The UBEC states that it is low interference, so that should not be the problem.  I'm wondering about the motor and ESC though.

If anyone has ideas on how I might be able to get a more stable picture feed, I'm all ears...and thank you in advance!

Does it glitch if you walk around looking at the feed with the car stopped, ie caused by ambient interference?

If not then my wild guess would be some sort of interference from the ESC, servo or motor, no matter what the UBEC states, it might not induce any interference on its own but if the source its being fed from has interference it might carry through.

If you have another battery (even some AAs in a battery holder or a usb power bank) you could use to jury rig a separate power system for the FPV gear to try id recommend it.

Thanks for the tip, Ziddan.

At first, inside my house, I walked around the car fully powered on...minimal glitching.

However, when I took the car down the street (where the video glitches), then I saw some major glitching.

I hope the RHCP antennae that I ordered can eliminate some of the interference...still waiting for them to arrive.