V8 Rumble

Old guys lol

32 minutes ago, Super ally said:

I'm 50 and this topic has got me thinking that maybe we should all grow up and act our age.😂

You have two hopes -

Bob Hope and No Hope 😂

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

You have two hopes -

Bob Hope and No Hope 😂

And Bob's left town 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

58 two and a half weeks ago. The wife says I still act like I'm in my late teens/early twenties. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, martinjpayne said:

58 two and a half weeks ago. The wife says I still act like I'm in my late teens/early twenties. 🤷‍♂️

Nothing wrong with that - age is just a number ;)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Nothing wrong with that - age is just a number ;)

Unfortunately the mind might be still young, but my body aches and my reactions have slowed... not conducive to racing or marshalling RC cars. Building and occasional bashing is the best I can do now. 😟

• Sad 1

50 next week, my wife and (kids? 19 & 22) gave me my present early, as in today, as we are going on holiday soon..

A Kyosho Mad Van VE 😁

I guess it’s now official in our house this hobby is not just a passing phase and will be around for some time yet, Happy days 👍🏻

• Like 8

51. I was the precise target age for Tamiya buggies in the 80's, and I had a Super Champ and Hornet back then. I have a re-re Hornet and Fighting Buggy sitting in my build pile. I have to finish the M07-Alfa Romeo Mito first.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, V8 Rumble said:

I'm gonna be 47 next week and still play with these toys cars lol. I don't see ever stopping. 

We must ,pretty much, share a birthday! 

47 next week, and still be getting toy car gifts off my kids , and 1:1 car gifts off the wife 😁

(Which I've sourced, bought and had delivered, naturally....🙄

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

50 next week, my wife and (kids? 19 & 22) gave me my present early, as in today, as we are going on holiday soon..

A Kyosho Mad Van VE 😁

I guess it’s now official in our house this hobby is not just a passing phase and will be around for some time yet, Happy days 👍🏻

Nice~!!   

Happy early birthday!!! B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

A Kyosho Mad Van VE 😁

Congrats in advance. The Mad Van must be an excellent choice. A modern, faster and more capable take on the Lunchboox-theme. Enjoy! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started with rc then started with 1:1 cars. When I finished my Malibu I really got back into rc lol. 

I think rc is more dangerous in terms of spending. With the real car you have to save and spend for parts in big lumps. 

With rc is a little here and a little there lol. My wife says " I see what you're doing". I tell her it's cheaper than the real car and bills are paid lol. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow, guess I'm one of the young guys at 39.  I still feel like I'm too old to be playing with toys at times, but who cares I love it!  

• Like 3

I will be 50 this year.

People say its ok to be in touch with your inner child. I am my inner child :P

J

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

Wow, guess I'm one of the young guys at 39.  I still feel like I'm too old to be playing with toys at times, but who cares I love it!  

I got back into Tamiya at your age, 3 small children that I wanted to speed weekends with but still have a ‘dad’ hobby that wasn’t DIY or a 1.1 car. 

• Like 1

There’s a medic joke about when your age, waist + intellect align ?

Currently battling 2 out of 3 😂

I‘m a regular here because of the old heads, young minds + deft fingers - with a lot of humour 👍

• Like 2

46 and started out at age 13, but with a 13 year brake and got back in, when I was 26. Took some years before I got into collecting Tamiya/Kyoshos, but that is where my focus are now.

You know, a lot of people make the "act your age" and "grown men still playing with toys" comments, but here's the thing: I see a lot of friends my age who, in the evenings, just park themselves in front of the TV and zone out. Or develop actual opinions about celebrity gossip or singing competiton shows or devote hours and hours to their fantasy sports leagues. The former is just letting your mind and body atrophy, and the latter is living vicariously through others.

By contrast, my "toy cars" keep my mind active, my fingers dextrous, and get me outside and walking around. They also give me something to look forward to doing that's all just me, not dependent on some "famous" people who wouldn't care about me even if they knew who I was. We are active creatures; we're not meant to just passively consume. Doing something that keeps your mind and body moving, no matter what it is, is going to get more and more important as we get older, and I do not intend to go quietly into that good night, as the poet says. I'll be doing this as long as my hand-eye coordination holds out, and even after that, I'll have a shelf full of busted old models as conversation pieces sitting on top of my dresser in the old folks' home.

• Like 11

Every year we go to the beach and I take the Bushy D.  I get most of the weird looks from teens who think they’re too cool.  I’ve had several middle aged men (our age) say to me “that’s cool! I had one of those as a kid!”.  I’ve had several moms ask me about it so they can get one for their kids.  I gave up trying to impress people years ago, if they laugh at me for enjoying my toy car, eff ‘em!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

if they laugh at me for enjoying my toy car, eff ‘em!

Quite right !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

You know, a lot of people make the "act your age" and "grown men still playing with toys" comments, but here's the thing: I see a lot of friends my age who, in the evenings, just park themselves in front of the TV and zone out. Or develop actual opinions about celebrity gossip or singing competiton shows or devote hours and hours to their fantasy sports leagues. The former is just letting your mind and body atrophy, and the latter is living vicariously through others.

By contrast, my "toy cars" keep my mind active, my fingers dextrous, and get me outside and walking around. They also give me something to look forward to doing that's all just me, not dependent on some "famous" people who wouldn't care about me even if they knew who I was. We are active creatures; we're not meant to just passively consume. Doing something that keeps your mind and body moving, no matter what it is, is going to get more and more important as we get older, and I do not intend to go quietly into that good night, as the poet says. I'll be doing this as long as my hand-eye coordination holds out, and even after that, I'll have a shelf full of busted old models as conversation pieces sitting on top of my dresser in the old folks' home.

I resent the implication that as an old fart I merely zone out in front of the telly watching celebrity gossip & singing competitions.. it’s documentaries and Columbo. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

51. I was the precise target age for Tamiya buggies in the 80's, and I had a Super Champ and Hornet back then. I have a re-re Hornet and Fighting Buggy sitting in my build pile. I have to finish the M07-Alfa Romeo Mito first.

Got to love the hornet,a real classic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

My trick is have the kids with me and if i see an adult i give them the radio.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2