V8 Rumble

Old guys lol

They say you are only as old as the woman you feel. I’m blessed. That’s not saying that we are both pains sometimes but after nearly 37 years married we do ok 

• Like 5

My first kit was a brand new Ultima, that my dad's friend's son built for me.

I hated it, but at the time it came out, it was the rave, and supposedly going to contend for a world title.

I then got a Hornet and did some upgrades, oil shocks on the front, I ran a lexan VW Bug body on it.  I then got a Blackfoot, and then moved up to the RC10 which got light use and I sold on eBay years ago.  Stupid.   I dirt ovaled it for a bit on foamies.  It never had any major break downs or crashes, it was probably in 8/10 condition when I sold it.   I had an aluminum wing on it and a oval body.   I did the A arm upgrade.  I never got around to a Stealth but that was the plan.

I wish I could find a Hyperdrive RC10.   Or trackmaster.

I remember when Hyperdrive came out and trackmaster, it was like a revolution.

I ran a Kyosho 240ST motor in my Hornet and I'd blow away every kid in the neighborhood who tried to race me with their 540s.  I love that motor.  It's a fast brushed motor. The Slot Machine came out just as I was winding down my teens/20 year old phase.  Another fun motor which I do still have.

My blackfoot had a Kyosho 360st which was  torquey motor, I had gold oil shocks on it.  That was a blast to drive.  But like all Tamiyas needed upgrades in areas to make it more robust.

Fast forward now I'm into model railroading, R/C, Bonsai, vintage BMX, and not enough money for all these hobbies :)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Wow, guess I'm one of the young guys at 39.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

...you're standing on the track...

:D

About to hit 48 myself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/17/2022 at 12:44 AM, JeffSpicoli said:

But yeah it's feeling a little embarrassing at times :)

Don’t be, RC Drivers are tougher than Dirty Harry….

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Don’t be, RC Drivers are tougher than Dirty Harry….

Well that 'made my day' 

• Haha 2

I'mna go ahead and snatch the "whippersnapper" award, as I just turned 38 last week.

While I missed the Golden Era, I vividly remember the early/mid 90s when the hobby was beginning to make big advancements in technology. 1400 SCRC packs gave way to 2000s, 27T stock motors became rebuildable, and the Tamiya re-release era had yet to begin. It was an amazing time of neon graphics and names that today are legends (Masami, Pavidis, Kinwald, Hodap...)

I'm lucky enough to have a large collection of original 80s and 90s RCs that I could only drool over as a kid, and I'm still racing 1/10th buggy and stadium truck. It's great to see how the hobby has evolved. Conversely, it annoys the crap out of me how so few people want to learn to wrench on their cars. My LHS does a booming business fixing RCs that people bash/break/ruin. I guess it keeps the doors open!

Happy to be hanging out with all you old farts! LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Unknown Driver said:

Conversely, it annoys the crap out of me how so few people want to learn to wrench on their cars. My LHS does a booming business fixing RCs that people bash/break/ruin. I guess it keeps the doors open!

This is very odd to me and I've seen it as well.  I don't understand how you could be into this hobby without wanting to work on or build your own stuff, it makes zero sense to me.  Good for the shops making money and keeping doors open, I just don't understand the person that buys an RTR Traxxas/Arma, etc. runs it, breaks it, then actually pays someone to repair it.  What's the fun in that?  

• Like 4

Totally agree. I think it's emblematic of the "instant gratification / no patience" world we live in right now and is probably worse as you go into younger demographics. Look at all the tinkerers in this thread - and they're all 40-60 years old.

In contrast, most of the 10-20 year olds I meet at the track are barely willing to change a servo-arm when they hit the pipes - either because they're afraid of damaging something OR because they just want someone else to do it for them.

I see the same thing in how my generation and younger generations approach being adults. Instead of the job-car-house-kids goal most people had years ago, they want to get an apartment or condo so they aren't burdened with lawn moving, snow removal, etc. They can sit indoors and play video games and order take out.

It's sad.

But on the plus side...that's a whole lot less people trying to scoop up rare Tamiyas from me! lol

• Like 2

This was my Blackfoot in 1991ish.

We got the idea to give it a Poison paint job :)

I can't believe I never lost these prints.   I must have taken this with my dad's disc camera if you remember those.   You can see the gold Kyosho shocks.

I may paint up another Blackfoot like this to rekindle those days of Kathy Ireland and Carol Alt hanging on my bedroom walls and RCing all summer long.

c704d92b-d36b-4967-86f7-be0b75886fff.jpeg.b8a11004ee28b96698ccb24d488e79b3.jpeg

• Like 5

Time to snatch the nipper award before it's too late. I'm 37 :ph34r: will turn 38 this year, but still 37 :ph34r::ph34r: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm 51 and will be 52 in October. Was only 13 years old when I got my Grasshopper before the summer holiday of 1984. it's still running but needs a full restoration, a bit like myself actually :lol:

20220419_085112.jpg

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

This is very odd to me and I've seen it as well.  I don't understand how you could be into this hobby without wanting to work on or build your own stuff, it makes zero sense to me.  Good for the shops making money and keeping doors open, I just don't understand the person that buys an RTR Traxxas/Arma, etc. runs it, breaks it, then actually pays someone to repair it.  What's the fun in that?  

Same here.  At the race meet a couple of weeks back, I overheard the owner of the LHS saying he starts builds for the Christmas orders around September - that's people who order a kit for a Christmas present and want it built in time for Christmas day.  I confess I had no idea he even turned over that many kits, let alone built them for Christmas sales.

I think if my wife ordered me a kit for Christmas and gave it to me ready built, I'd feel that I'd been cheated out of the best part of the experience!

16 hours ago, Unknown Driver said:

most of the 10-20 year olds I meet at the track are barely willing to change a servo-arm when they hit the pipes - either because they're afraid of damaging something OR because they just want someone else to do it for them.

on the flip-side, it's possible that the younger generation are more willing to dismantle and reassemble the software and firmware of modern tech.  It doesn't matter how much I read about rooting Android phones, I still don't get it.  My one attempt to root and Android device was successful in that I ended up with a device with no security and no updates, but offered me no more than it had before and was still just as much a PITA to install things on.

Our generation grew up with toys that could be dismantled with a couple of screwdrivers, and put back together again.  I'd often take stuff apart to see how it worked.  Most of it went back together and still worked.  Today's toys are built with tamper-proof screws, or glued or bonded together, or machine-assembled so they're impossible to take apart.  I'm only speculating here, but maybe lack of opportunity to be curious is taking the curiosity out of life.

Going slightly OT (so I'll keep it brief), I watched a documentary about steampunk last week, and one of the themes was that today's world is not meant to be taken apart and modified, it's locked down and secured by manufacturers and licensors, but in the age of steam, everything was designed to be taken apart and reconfigured in a different way, as requirements were changing so fast.  I grew up watching my dad wire plugs and fit ceiling roses.  Until the early 90s, most electrical devices sold in the UK didn't have plugs - you had to fit them yourself.  The law was changed and plugs became mandatory.  Longer warranties and less serviceable machines means things rarely get opened up and fixed at home.  Maybe today's world tells the infant that nobody is allowed to do anything  with a screwdriver unless they have the diploma and the uniform, and that natural curiosity is squeezed out at an early age?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Same here.  At the race meet a couple of weeks back, I overheard the owner of the LHS saying he starts builds for the Christmas orders around September - that's people who order a kit for a Christmas present and want it built in time for Christmas day.  I confess I had no idea he even turned over that many kits, let alone built them for Christmas sales.

I think if my wife ordered me a kit for Christmas and gave it to me ready built, I'd feel that I'd been cheated out of the best part of the experience!

on the flip-side, it's possible that the younger generation are more willing to dismantle and reassemble the software and firmware of modern tech.  It doesn't matter how much I read about rooting Android phones, I still don't get it.  My one attempt to root and Android device was successful in that I ended up with a device with no security and no updates, but offered me no more than it had before and was still just as much a PITA to install things on.

Our generation grew up with toys that could be dismantled with a couple of screwdrivers, and put back together again.  I'd often take stuff apart to see how it worked.  Most of it went back together and still worked.  Today's toys are built with tamper-proof screws, or glued or bonded together, or machine-assembled so they're impossible to take apart.  I'm only speculating here, but maybe lack of opportunity to be curious is taking the curiosity out of life.

Going slightly OT (so I'll keep it brief), I watched a documentary about steampunk last week, and one of the themes was that today's world is not meant to be taken apart and modified, it's locked down and secured by manufacturers and licensors, but in the age of steam, everything was designed to be taken apart and reconfigured in a different way, as requirements were changing so fast.  I grew up watching my dad wire plugs and fit ceiling roses.  Until the early 90s, most electrical devices sold in the UK didn't have plugs - you had to fit them yourself.  The law was changed and plugs became mandatory.  Longer warranties and less serviceable machines means things rarely get opened up and fixed at home.  Maybe today's world tells the infant that nobody is allowed to do anything  with a screwdriver unless they have the diploma and the uniform, and that natural curiosity is squeezed out at an early age?

Sad I think, but you got a point. Kids aren't "allowed" anymore to be curious in the way we were BITD. 

On 4/16/2022 at 9:29 AM, kataplaz said:

Uiiiiiiiiiiiiii, I have 59, made in April 8 but when I enter in the tamiya room with you guys in Tamiya Club ..... I'm back at 15.

It's the room "Back to the past" B)

Im 52, made on April 8! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2022 at 10:44 AM, 87lc2 said:

I feel the same way.. but it could be similar to having a rally car, but never driving them on gravel because I don't want rock chips all over the car.  :lol:   Rally folks would be like 'what's the fun in that?!'  

Well, I suppose I'm not a rally guy, but still enjoy driving my WRX and WRX STI on the streets..

Some folks aren't really hobbists, but enjoy driving RC cars.. (?)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I feel the same way.. but it could be similar to having a rally car, but never driving them on gravel because I don't want rock chips all over the car.  :lol:   Rally folks would be like 'what's the fun in that?!'  

Well, I suppose I'm not a rally guy, but still enjoy driving my WRX and WRX STI on the streets..

Some folks aren't really hobbists, but enjoy driving RC cars.. (?)

Good point & perspective!  However, the fun in RC for me is building and tinkering but I'm the same way with 1:1 cars as well so I still don't get it :)  

• Like 2

Im a child of 90s, born in June 83, 1 year shy of 40. I dont have experience with the golden age of tamiya rc, and just recently got to (tamiya) rc. I just want to say is thank god u oldies are still here so actively and having fun, and sharing so much knowledge for a junior like me.

Cheers!!

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 1:44 AM, 87lc2 said:

Depends which side of the fence you’re on... and how heavily invested into the game one is. 

Most nutters like u & I that hang about sites like these, we already have all the tools needed plus usually stock some parts/consumables. 

But for the casual basher buying a TRX, all they’ve got is what came out of the box. They need to diagnose what’s broken, then go LHS to find spares, often they’re backordered so it’s another trip to collect later on. Then we all know what a PITA it is to be working with Allen L-keys :P before we buy proper hex drivers. 

Cheaper to pay a few bucks in labour than to buy RC toolkit. Fair few just happy enough to leave car at LHS to sort out. 

Some even buy a 2nd RC to play with whilst their 1st is in for repairs. ;) 

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

Good point & perspective!  However, the fun in RC for me is building and tinkering but I'm the same way with 1:1 cars as well so I still don't get it :)  

I'm with you man..  I too like tinkering with my RC and 1:1 cars for sure.

But I guess another side of me don't want to alienate folks that enjoy just driving RC cars as at the end, we all keep this industry going and that's a great thing.  :D 

8 hours ago, Raman36 said:

Im 52, made on April 8! 😉

Happy birthday to you :D :lol: very late :P

• Like 1