ImALlama

Tamiyaclub Official Top 10 Fastest RC'ers (Part 3)

So after more than 2 yrs, I managed to get a couple of runs in this morning, after my nightshift!! 😀

Unfortunately, a busy shift, meant I only got chance to charge one battery, so that was the 3s for the Neo Fighter, so these two where on storage charge, but I'd only expect a few mph more fully charged (although I think this Yokomo was hitting lvc under full load, so I'll revisit at some point).

None Tamiya-

Yokomo YZ2-T, 10bl120 esc, Reedy 6.5t , 2s lipo - storage charge....

68kph/ 42mph..

Kyosho Ultima- Re release, 10bl120, Speed Passion 10.5t motor,

2s lipo - storage charge...

53kph/33mph

The Neo Fighter didn't result in any quicker than my 95kph from a few years ago, netting only 59kph, with it spinning out under power. Not sure if the Dboot hoons are the way forward, as I can't seem to get them to work on the DF03 either?

Front 3racing shocks on the rear, meant ground clearance was low, maybe too low, so may have been bottoming out, reducing rear grip? 

The 7700kv motor has plenty of grunt on 3s, and couldn't get full power, even when rolling on it. Think the way forward, would be to run multiple runs on 2s until I can get a handle on the car, then switch to 3s ,as you only get one pass on 3s with all the elecs getting toasty...

Neo Fighter,  Mamba max Pro esc, Castle 7700kv motor , 20t pinion ,3s lipo.

Puts my car tally upto 13 though 😀

• Like 2

2022-05-08_04-56-16

Wouldn't let me edit my post...

Might see about digging out a rear wing too, seemingly wings offer negibale down force on buggies, but really help keep the things straight...

5 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

The 7700kv motor has plenty of grunt on 3s, and couldn't get full power, even when rolling on it.

I keep having the same problem. Need a long run to ease into it so they wont loose traction and crash, but my eyesight isn't good enough for the distance i need. all part of the fun/challenge though i guess :)

Good job @Wooders28, I updated the list

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ImALlama said:

my eyesight isn't good enough for the distance i need

Pretty much me! 🤓

I didn't go as far up the road as I usually do. I was half an hour late leaving work, and cars where coming out of the entrance on the right, not looking left , so conscious not to get the car run over!

The esc settings are from my last run in a 4wd, so the punch and power curve are fairly aggressive. You programme that esc via a computer ( I have the programme card, but it's not as comprehensive as on the computer..). 

I'm going to try schumacher big bores on the rear too (already on the front), and alter the camber,  and see how that goes.

As my current spot is a bit short for getting the cars up to speed and keep them there for the GPS to catch up I tried to start "around the corner" and get a rolling start only to find out I really have to glue my tires, even for a silver can...

20220509_205528.jpg20220509_211354.jpg

I have the biggest (24T) pinion installed and the high speed gear set from 3racing but I have the impression I'm hitting the torque limits of the silver can as I only got it up to 40 km/h (nothing official as I forgot my selfie stick for filming) Will try to find a longer piece of nice flat tarmac to make sure it's not just the lack of space that limits the top speed of this combo.

20220509_205521.jpg20220509_225522.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tamiyastef said:

only to find out I really have to glue my tires

I got my car 2nd hand, and found out at around 50mph, the fronts weren't glued, as they both expanded, and left the wheels at exactly the same time! 🤣🤣

nothing official as I forgot my selfie stick for filming

I carry a roll of insulation tape, and just tape my phone to my handset, although it takes a bit of practice,  to keep the car in shot with one eye, and drive with the other (looking at my recent vid, I'm out of practice...) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I got my car 2nd hand, and found out at around 50mph, the fronts weren't glued, as they both expanded, and left the wheels at exactly the same time! 🤣🤣

If you have this on film it would make a good one to start a "bloopers" section 🤪

• Haha 1

If you have this on film it would make a good one to start a "bloopers" section 🤪

Unfortunately,  it was one of my early speed runs, and my camera work missed the money shot...🤦‍♂️

I have done a blooper of a recent attempts though...uurrgggh

Thank you for posting these Wooders...

For the longest time I feel like I'm the only one that has difficulty in keeping my car straight on speed runs (I'm still practicing before I get a GPS unit...)

At higher speeds it takes a LOT Of skill to keep these things straight.

• Like 1

@dmelczer not the only one at all. I'm in the silver can category and having difficulties already depending on the chassis and the underground I'm driving on. In my DT-02 is a 3800kv brushless system fitted now but I've only driven that on 2S Lipo and made no official speedruns with it yet.

Before I tried this myself I was thinking "how hard can it be", now after a few runs I know better. Still having fun though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 1:52 PM, dmelczer said:

Thank you for posting these Wooders...

For the longest time I feel like I'm the only one that has difficulty in keeping my car straight on speed runs (I'm still practicing before I get a GPS unit...)

At higher speeds it takes a LOT Of skill to keep these things straight.

I think keeping them straight might be the hardest part. I run each car I take out at least 15 runs each, and only two or three of them can even count as a successful run, all the others end up spinning out or crashing into something. I can't seem to stay in the center no matter how wide the road is, I'll hit the curb on at least half the runs I make :lol:

On 5/9/2022 at 5:11 PM, Tamiyastef said:

only to find out I really have to glue my tires, even for a silver can...

I found that out the hard way too, figured the silver can wouldn't be fast or powerful enough, I was certainly wrong about that :lol:

• Like 1

6WD Update

G6-01 VOLVO A60H

37 mph / 59.5 kph

4s lipo, Hobbywing Max10SCT esc, TP 3630 3267KV, stock spur (no idea how many teeth) / 20T pinion, stock tires

I tried different tires too but ended up being slower :(

• Like 1

Non Tamiya entry

WLToys 12428

39 mph / 62.7 kph

3s lipo, Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120 esc, RaceStar 3650 5900KV motor, 62t spur / 17T pinion, Injora SCT tires

• Like 2

Driving around the other day I noticed it looks like they just got done making me a new speed run location :D I've been waiting for months for them to pour the lot. Pictures not the best but the lot looks pretty flat, no seams, no debris, and plenty of space. Hopefully will be awhile before this building is up and running so I can finally see what my brushless F1 cars can do. 

IMG_2297.thumb.jpg.d4841369c76c34a5c6fc1786590da18b.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ImALlama said:

Pictures not the best but the lot looks pretty flat, no seams, no debris, and plenty of space

Figures crossed ,they don't add "traffic calming" speed bumps!! 

(Not sure why they call them "traffic calming", as I'm certainly not Calm when I have to go over them.....🤬🤬

17 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Figures crossed ,they don't add "traffic calming" speed bumps!! 

(Not sure why they call them "traffic calming", as I'm certainly not Calm when I have to go over them.....🤬🤬

I sure hope not, one place I frequent recently added a bunch and made them hard to see, usually they paint them yellow. Not sure I share the same definition of calm as them, hiding them causes everyone to slam on their brakes and even at crawling speeds it feels like trying to take a sports car going top speed across a rock climbing course.

• Like 1

RWD Entry

Super Blackfoot

22 mph / 35.4 kph

2s lipo, Hobbywing 1080 esc, Dynamite 550 brushed 15T, stock spur (no idea how many teeth) / 10T pinion, stock tires

• Like 1

RWD Tamiya Entry

T3-01

33mph / 53km/h

This summer my son and I set out beat a speed record, so we got my T3-01 Dual Rider out. We upgraded the motor from the kit supplied motor which I believe to be 70 turns and replaced it with cheapo MABUCHI RK-370SD-5028 (28 turn) motor of Ebay. Looks exactly the same as the kit motor but is quite a bit faster. It wouldn't surprise me if Tamiya's 370 sport tuned or the LaTrax 370 28 turn motor was the same motor. The downside with the cheepo motor is that you have to solder your own capacitors and motor leads.

The most visible change you can see in the video are the cut slick ride tires, we also tried Rush Mini 36s tires. We got exactly the same speed with them, just didn't record that run and was hoping to go faster with the larger diameter Ride cut slicks. Both of those tires were a vast improvement on the kit tires which were completely unbalanced and the vibration would make the tricycle crash before you even got to full speed.

Batteries:  First we tried a 2s 800mah which would get make it go 24mph. The 3s 500mah lipos made it go 33mph.

ESC: Hobbywing 1060, Servo: Etronix ET2035, Transmitter: P32 Turbo Racing

Other upgrades:
We added the Tamiya aluminum motor mount (54877) so we could use a 28 tooth pinion (the largest possible). We replaced the plastic drive shafts with the Tamiya T3-01 One-Piece Rear Axle Shaft Set (54857) just to make it a bit stronger. To make it go as straight as possible we put the hard spring in from the Steering Spring Set (54838).

Unfortunately my phone isn't very bright, but the final speed is just visible at 0:53

• Like 3

@TT-01 Racer I love your choice for speed runs, I somehow forgot that chassis existed. I updated the list and you are currently tied for 30th but you do have the fastest trike it seems. good job

I just figured out where we're all going wrong here,.... Forget voltage KV and gearing.

You need coke and mentos.....

• Haha 3

Hoping to enter a Tamiya soon but for now @ImALlama a non-Tamiya entry from me. ;)

Arrma Limitless 1/7th scale GT car.

97.thumb.jpg.fef2edceedbd03745ec57a6f2f9777d1.jpg

150.35mph ~ ran through official ROSSA UK speed timing equipment (2nd name in the 150mph club PDF on the official FB page) : https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641915416068313/permalink/3182219362037903

4S in series making 8S. Turnigy Graphene Panther 5000mAh lipos. XLX2 ESC, TP Power 4070 2080KV.
31T pinion with 34T spur running GRP S4 tyres. 

• Like 4

This is not an official entry but I thought I would share my build. I’ve been working on this Lunchie as part of a CW-01 speed run challenge. It’s more of a modified open class where the only rules are that it has to be a CW-01 chassis and have a body (any-body).

I started off slow with a bone stock build and gradually worked my way to what I have now. This challenge ends at the end of Oct. I am planning to circle back on the build with an actual Lunchie body and revert back to the stock unmodified gearbox (with after market gears) as an entrant.

Current mods to the car now include…

- Double wishbone front suspension

- 20mm extended swing axle pivot brackets

- Custom designed swing axle gearbox with custom gears. 16T pinion, 64T Spur, 28T counter, 49T differential.

- Final Drive Ratio 7:1

- Custom designed wheelie bar

- Tamiya oil filled shocks

-  Narrow front wheels

- Balloon slick rear tires

- Losi XXT body because it fits and I had it laying around

- Custom rear chassis brace with shorty LiPo battery clip. 

I’m running a 2s LiHv with a Hobbywing 6.5T brushless setup.

I just dropped in some taller gearing tonight after todays runs and should be able to get some runs in this weekend. 

Ignore the video title, I was going for something controversial. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jack_O_Trades said:

This is not an official entry but I thought I would share my build. I’ve been working on this Lunchie as part of a CW-01 speed run challenge. It’s more of a modified open class where the only rules are that it has to be a CW-01 chassis and have a body (any-body).

I started off slow with a bone stock build and gradually worked my way to what I have now. This challenge ends at the end of Oct. I am planning to circle back on the build with an actual Lunchie body and revert back to the stock unmodified gearbox (with after market gears) as an entrant.

Current mods to the car now include…

- Double wishbone front suspension

- 20mm extended swing axle pivot brackets

- Custom designed swing axle gearbox with custom gears

- Custom designed wheelie bar

- Tamiya oil filled shocks

-  Narrow front wheels

- Balloon slick rear tires

- Losi XXT body because it fits and I had it laying around

- Custom rear chassis brace with shorty LiPo battery clip. 

I’m running a 2s LiHv with a Hobbywing 6.5T brushless setup.

I just dropped in some taller gearing tonight after todays runs and should be able to get some runs in this weekend. 

Ignore the video title, I was going for something controversial. 

Good job and welcome to the forum! If you'd like it to be an official entry just needs spur/pinion size and you'd take the number 2 spot in the modified Tamiya category.

On 10/22/2022 at 3:39 PM, ImALlama said:

Good job and welcome to the forum! If you'd like it to be an official entry just needs spur/pinion size and you'd take the number 2 spot in the modified Tamiya category.

Thanks for the welcome! I updated the post with the gears that I’m running. 

• Like 1

I’ve been messing round with the build and got some good runs in today.

- CW-01 chassis

- 16T pinion, 64T spur, 28T counter, 49T differential. 

- FDR 7:1

- 4.5T Hobbywing brushless

- 2S LiHv 4800 mAh battery

Basically the same setup as above but I swapped the motor out from a 6.5T to a 4.5T

I was able to hit 58 mph

• Like 1