bRIBEGuy

Tamiya Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII: Local TB01Find...

Nice! Didn’t the TB01 rally cars also come with a short cockpit and a chassis dust cover? 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Nice! Didn’t the TB01 rally cars also come with a short cockpit and a chassis dust cover? 

Yup, that is correct!  You can see the pseudo cockpit and drivers in the picture below.  Both of those will sit upon a clear dust cover.  

On 4/19/2022 at 9:32 AM, bRIBEGuy said:

Body is unpainted.  Body parts and decals are NIB.

20220418_153820.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Yup, that is correct!  You can see the pseudo cockpit and drivers in the picture below.  Both of those will sit upon a clear dust cover.  

Very cool 👌 

I’ve got a NIB TB01 but it’s a Ferrari Enzo so no cockpit or dust cover needed or included! Shame, I think they’re cool 

• Like 2

As my TC-01 build slowly nears conclusion, I keep bring reminded of all the other things I haven't finished up along the way... such as this little TB01.  I mean suuuuuuure, it's ONLY been 2 months, but [enter excuses here].

:rolleyes:

Anyway, a bit of free time in the house meant basement painting was a go again, so it was time to get back at the bits... Definitely a few things in there that will need some color...

hB7IxVv.jpg

Freed from a life on a sprue, and ready to become part of something bigger...

IFIDpIC.jpg

Glue & screw for slightly bigger...

4yiDeL5.jpg

And I thought the fit up of the driver helmet in the TC01 was bad!  :wacko:  Looks like it time for some filing and sanding...

Ready for priming, and the photo conveniently hides the less than perfect job of cleaning up the mold lines...

w3OdWHM.jpg

And some white Tamiya primer for everyone!

9dPiv0N.jpg

• Like 4

I swore I had white paint.  TS-26, specifically. 

I do not.

It's frustrating, as I've picked up paint on at least 3 occasions over the past 2 months, each time avoiding white as "I already have some". 

In reality?  Nope. 

White primer?  Yes. 

PS-1? Yes. 

TS-26?  Nope nope nope. 

:angry:

Soooo, off to the LHS I go at lunch, and wanna take a guess as to what color they are sold out of?

:rolleyes:

Okay, so let's move on... not everything here will be white after all.  TS-49?  Yes, I have that...

gOySAGr.jpg

I81iuO0.jpg

Is there any way to move a thread?

I'm not sure why I started this in the general section instead of in the "Builds" section, but now it really bugs me.  I don't want to be "that guy".....LOL.

So ya... any easy way of having this transferred to where it should reside?

Had a wee bit of PS-5 left, so I opted to re-back the silver backing black (say that 10 times fast!).

bsUCaRY.jpg

Non-stop crazy action on this build...... ha ha ha!

Sure, it took some 1400km of driving, but I was able to track down some TS-26 finally!

1Vvcovp.jpg

No to look at painting some white white...

• Like 1

Decided to take a peek at the main body after backing it with black.  Looks like some minor bleeding under the tape, but nothing that should create an issue as all of the windows will get sticker trim strips...

Eewz50e.jpg

kEpFu4s.jpg

The worse was one small spot on the rear window under the body mount hole where a bit of black and red made it out...

nNKUQZL.jpg

Nothing that couldn't be cleaned up with some Tamiya paint remover and pointy cotton swabs...

olrumMR.jpg

The protective plastic on the outside will stay on until the white painting is done, and until I have time to sit down and do the stickering (no small job on a car livery like this).

WaEl00V.jpg

TKxtgIN.jpg

It's been a busy three weeks as far as non-RC (aka "Real") life goes, so the Evo has been sitting unloved for a while now.  Over the past week or so, I've been plugging away with the good old "a few minutes here... a few minutes there..." method, and things are slowly starting to take a bit more shape.

It's always a built of a commitment to sit down and start a Tamiya rally body from a stickering perspective... especially when it's a box art scheme on a long discontinued body set...LOL.

egjYnpV.jpg

Stickers are in pretty good shape, with only a few wrinkles...

ahvtbp0.jpg

• Like 1

Lots of curves and folds.  Heat gun (read: hair blower...) is pretty much mandatory here, as is patience...

lSmwKE1.jpg

Window trim on these bodies has to be my least favourite aspect (aside from the main hood sticker) of the job...

JwpbAVt.jpg

The general theme of the whole process is breath deep and move slow...

cw0dGbJ.jpg

Bit by bit it starts to come together... harsh lighting will make you feel like you're doing a really bad job when you look at the photos you're posting...

• Like 2

Body bits...

fqGzXp1.jpg

More progress...

QBgxRA1.jpg

And some wheel details...

rIYmVY7.jpg

• Like 3

Drivers are a little wide eyed at the sudden spike in project productivity... :lol:

QSVJtkB.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Interior begins.... poorly, and with a child like disrespect for colouring within the lines... :rolleyes:

Z6vgwTb.jpg

Navigator has what appear to be the largest hands ever...

XAigbve.jpg

Tamiya's instructions call for pretty much everything to be black in the interior, but I figured I'd use my own artistic liberty, and copy the great seats and such over from the TB01 Lancer Evo VI that I built some 20 years ago...

S2llDhQ.jpg

My wife likes blue... so blue seat belts it is...

Ww1O2ZA.jpg

After drying, I made a wash with 1/2 oz or so of water, a drop of flat black, and 2 drops of flat brown.  This was brushed all over the drivers and left to dry...

gHymq3w.jpg

The drying time gave me a chance to (extremely poorly) mask off the helmets for black trim.  I'm fairly bad at doing this freehand, and seeming worse at doing it with tape.  So now there is black paint bleeds everywhere.

SGtKNQn.jpg

Drivers eyes have been close in a bit more here, bust a bit more work will still come on them...

• Like 1

And time to start paying a bit more attention with the painting... we're getting close here now...

0r2o89U.jpg

Some more paining touch ups along the way, and then the dreaded driver stickers.  This is slow going, but with a hairblower and some pointy Tamiya cotton swabs, the results are pretty good so far (IMO, at least...).  Seatbelts and co-pilot done...

97C7uMV.jpg

Then driver, and some helmets additions...

7WmrIer.jpg

Adding on the helmets/heads and mounting up the interior to the chassis cover, and things are coming together nicely.

jXjF5gI.jpg

TbAYFBF.jpg

• Like 2

Well, somehow another two weeks slipped by.  I gotta be honest... adulting can kinda be a bit of BS sometimes... :lol:

Anyway, in what can only be described as a "modern day miracle" in my piles of projects... I actually got the body finished up!

7Orp1T5.jpg

m0N3MRy.jpg

It's a silly little thing, but somehow seeing a driver inside an RC car just makes me smile...

VVJk4jn.jpg

(Note: giant windex bottle in the background is NTS... :lol: )