SlideWRX

Loose balance charge plug

Doh!  I just picked up a set of extensions for the balance plugs for Lipo charging.  The others work fine, but the 2s (the one I actually want to use...) cable has a loose plug on one end.  The plug actually comes completely off.  I think superglue will get right in there and solidify it, but I think it will likely go across all three pins.  I was wondering if it was non-conductive enough for this.  Any recommendations?

IMG_1392small.jpg.2e836c9b59a167139b6bb6a795dbe4c7.jpgIMG_1394_small.jpg.964c7cec07df30bb12c160bfcea98544.jpg

Not superglue! 

It needs to be soldered for a good connection.

For a tiny connector like that, probably easier to to buy another. This one probably got through the factory without being done properly.

Bad contacts are a risk on balance connectors - if you are getting the wrong cell voltage fed back to the charger, who knows what the charger will end up doing to the cells?

The contacts/soldering is ok, it is the plastic plug that is coming off. 

IMG_1395.jpg.6bbc9ed0bd614435a47c7a8c7cdebd29.jpg

Superglue is non-conductive polymer (i.e. plastic).

What you can do is peel the shrink wraps by a few mm, and glue. (You can't really glue on the shrink wrap.)  And if you like, add a bit of baking soda while superglue is wet.  That will add volume to make it a lot stronger on the backside (wire side, not the contact side).  

If that fails, you could get a 2S balance extension wires and solder them. 

• Thanks 1

Superglue is fine (but it’s brittle); epoxy possibly better. Sometimes they grip the housing better turned around 90deg. 

and if that extension only lives on your charger & it’s to see lots of plugging/unplugging but no onboard running action, I often trim off the 2 locking ears from the housing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm... I revise. 

Considering the brittleness of superglue, I also think epoxy would be a better choice.