Sign in to follow this  
morrisey0

Original Clod Build

This was another old Tamiya build I got into a couple of months ago.  I have to be honest, I stare more at this rig than any other in the shop right now.  The Clod just demands attention!  Tamiya just went over the top on this design, and it works 'til this day.

This is an all stock build with modern RX/ESC/Servo.  I wanted it old school on the outside, and just functional cheap on the inside.  I still need a very nice or new axle guard if anyone has one just sitting around. :)

The best part of this build is the bed cover.  I have way too much time in getting that thing designed and printed, but in the end, it works.

clod 1.jpg

clod 3.jpg

clod 7.jpg

clod 8.jpg

clod 5.jpg

clod 6.jpg

clod 10.jpg

CLOD DONE 1.JPG

• Like 5

I forgot in these "finished" pics that I don't have headlights installed.  I couldn't find them in the US when I was building this.  I have then now, and still haven't gotten around to installing them. :)

2110977800_CLODDONE3.thumb.JPG.7f5efc81ba00d20a8a504f0ea95f14fe.JPG1700638033_CLODDONE2.thumb.JPG.e4835ab72a67740fe80be2f8c1ec0be6.JPG

CLOD DONE 4.JPG

CLOD DONE 5.JPG

CLOD DONE 6.JPG

CLOD DONE 7.JPG

CLOD DONE 8.JPG

CLOD DONE 9.JPG

• Like 3

That's a really nice colour scheme - simple and understated, and makes the best of the red chassis parts.

I love the bed cover and the wheel hub inserts

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

That's a really nice colour scheme - simple and understated, and makes the best of the red chassis parts.

Thanks!  Yea, for this build, I wanted the "clod buster dude," but not overtly on the side of the truck as usual.  I felt like blending it into the bed cover was a way to make sure it was advertised as a CB, but not be loud about it.  I also wanted to airbrush 2-3 colors for the stripes, but to be honest, laziness trimmed that down to a single color.  Especially once I realized that the shadow makes the single red stripe appear two different reds.  If you look at it directly from the side, fromm top to bottom, there is a dark red, a light red, a silver, and then the gun metal of the rest of the side.  With the one simple painted stripe, and body lines, there ended up being many stripes. 

The wheel hubs came from me originally wanting to stick with original white wheels, but the bling chrome won me over.  But it was too much bling and I had to tone it down.  I figured that 1:1 MTs have huge wheel hubs, so I just printed out some that got rid of the inner chrome.  I installed brass inserts in them, and they are the actual nuts holding the wheels on.

And for colors, the original plan was to be a bit brighter than it ended up, but when I can't decide on a color scheme, I tend to fall back on good ol' gun metal and red.  I just love the combo! :)

dr10 1.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 7:50 AM, Mad Ax said:

Exactly as @Mad Ax said 👏