Nikko85

Wipeout inspired Tamiya

On my favourite games from the PS1 era was the Wipeout series (actually Wipeout 3 was my real favourite).The racing was pretty slick, but what really blew me away, and still stands up today was the art design, showing futuristic sponsor laden crafts with clear Japanese influence through a British design lens.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/retroloz88/wipeout-aesthetic/

I was wondering if anyone else enjoyed the game, or had thought about making a Tamiya buggy with this kind of art style? Some Tamiyas could work really well for this, especially the more futuristic looking buggies perhaps.

Would be interesting if anyone else thought this? I've got a Super Sabre QD and wondering if I can do a Wipeout style artwork.

• Like 6

Thunder Dragon comes close....?

Original wipeout was entertaining but others less so I found

• Like 1

Woah this has taken me right back to 1995 & 1996 where I spent a lot of time playing Wipeout :) Had forgotten all about it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

On my favourite games from the PS1 era was the Wipeout series (actually Wipeout 3 was my real favourite).The racing was pretty slick, but what really blew me away, and still stands up today was the art design, showing futuristic sponsor laden crafts with clear Japanese influence through a British design lens.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/retroloz88/wipeout-aesthetic/

I was wondering if anyone else enjoyed the game, or had thought about making a Tamiya buggy with this kind of art style? Some Tamiyas could work really well for this, especially the more futuristic looking buggies perhaps.

Would be interesting if anyone else thought this? I've got a Super Sabre QD and wondering if I can do a Wipeout style artwork.

What a game series that was. And like you it’s the design (and music) that really differentiated it. Designers republic where the team who worked on overall brand design and even helped with the vehicles design I believe.there are a couple of great books available.

Also, with modern 3D printing the angular shells would be pretty doable…

• Like 2

Never heard of that before as I am not a gamer. But the design of the vehicle (don't know what it is) looks cool and would also look cool on a buggy like the Dirt Trasher or Terra Scorcher.

• Like 2

Yes!  Many years ago I painted a Dark Impact shell with the Goteki 45 team colors for my son.  I currently have a spare Nissan GTR LM Nismo body for the F103GT that I'm planning to do a proper Wipeout theme on.  The shape of the shell really reminds me those ships.  I'd love to see some of the Wipeout concepts in current-day auto racing:  boosts, energy drains, (non-lethal) weapons, shields, autopilot, etc.  I'd even love to see it in RC racing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

I never owned a PlayStation back in the old days (I briefly owned a PS1 way after they were out of date, for the retro experience) but I remember playing Wipeout at a mate's place a lot.  What really got me with Wipeout was the soundtrack - Orbital, Prodigy, FSOL, Fluke, Leftfield, Chemical Brothers - that's like many of my favourite electronic artists right there.  I remember reading an interview with Orbital in (I think) Future Music mag, in which they said they'd probably have written a whole nother album if they didn't spend so much time playing Wipeout.

Wipeout was kind of the pinnacle in a line of futuristic racing games from the 90s.  Oddly enough I woke up this morning remembering Terminal Velocity on PC, which was more an aerial combat game in similar-looking flying craft, then there was Hi Octane on PC, which I completely loved even though it was very short.  I only played a demo of F-Zero on SNES, but F-Zero X on N64 was fab.  I remember putting cushions on the floor right in front of the big TV, and lying on my back staring down between my knees to get a sensation of speed.

Another game from that era was POD, different from the above in that the vehicles had wheels, but still had a similar futuristic element to it.  According to the (rather thin if genuinely fun) plot, the cars were hastily constructed from mining vehicles, so they were huge, and they felt like it in the race.  It definitely lent weight to the saying of the time that "all French games are weird", but I played it a lot back in those days, and it was inspirational in my sci-fi writing.

On the subject of sci-fi and Tamiya, I've always felt the space-age buggies like the Manta Ray and Fire Dragon look weirdly out-of-place on dirt tracks next to RC10s and the like, but taken within the context of their design aesthetic, they're brilliant.  I think a Wipeout-inspired livery would be fab.  For a while I was going to paint my Manta Ray in the livery of a spaceship from one of my novels, but I ended up putting my own race colours on it for Revival 2021.

• Like 2

I’m a massive Designers Republic fan(TDR), mainly to do with my Pop will eat itself obsession, TDR did all of the PWEI artwork from the late 80’s to the present day. It shows my age when I get pleasure from reading record sleeves! Wipeout was just another thing I love about their work, I’ve even got a TDR swatch somewhere 😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Futura said:

I’m a massive Designers Republic fan(TDR), mainly to do with my Pop will eat itself obsession, TDR did all of the PWEI artwork from the late 80’s to the present day. It shows my age when I get pleasure from reading record sleeves! Wipeout was just another thing I love about their work, I’ve even got a TDR swatch somewhere 😁

How funny, I was subjecting my family to a play through of “Cure for Sanity” yesterday in the car. Let’s say they aren’t fans! I love that album.

Also recently I found an old C60 cassette that had a mix on it from when I was probably around 16-17 years old. It was a 12 minute track I put together on an Amiga and AtariST with samples and loops from Psychosexual. If only I had a cassette player to play it on ;) 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GeeWings said:

How funny, I was subjecting my family to a play through of “Cure for Sanity” yesterday in the car. Let’s say they aren’t fans! I love that album.

😂 My kids don’t get it either! The good lady does let me display these.

3291B9B0-43E4-4B11-ABFC-249BD43F9B88.jpeg

• Like 5

Love the Poppies! 

We really are all of a certain age aren't we. I still occasionally indulge. Loud, usually in the car, alone. But am forced to admit much of it hasn't aged so well. Or at least, not well enough that I'm likely to get my kid into it. 

Now, if only I could find my old t-shirts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Love the Poppies! 

We really are all of a certain age aren't we. I still occasionally indulge. Loud, usually in the car, alone. But am forced to admit much of it hasn't aged so well. Or at least, not well enough that I'm likely to get my kid into it. 

Now, if only I could find my old t-shirts. 

Yes, PWEI didn’t last long in the car with the kids. I quickly moved on to the Inspiral Carpets but that faired no better. My son likes The Clash though so there is hope…

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 7:12 PM, Nikko85 said:

... but what really blew me away, and still stands up today was the art design, showing futuristic sponsor laden crafts with clear Japanese influence through a British design lens.

Red Bull

:D

red-bull.png

Made in Austria.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 6:12 PM, Nikko85 said:

That sounds like a great idea mate... Do it!;)

Wipeout 2097 was amazing, I remember many a night after the pub back in the 90's playing that game and getting stoned off our faces:lol: A good start with accurate timing was all important, cue robot voice... 3... 2... 1... GO! And yes, the artwork really made the game, the ships looked so cool and had a battered, weathered appearance. Wasn't the badass ship called the Phantom?

Group multiplayer Micro Machines was another one, we had two PlayStation 1 multi-taps that enabled 8 controllers and of course therefore 8 players. Bloooody awesome!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GeeWings said:

Yes, PWEI didn’t last long in the car with the kids. I quickly moved on to the Inspiral Carpets but that faired no better. My son likes The Clash though so there is hope…

It's beyond me. We had a party recently. My next door neighbour's 9yo daughter got hold of my Spotify and put on "This is how it feels". My fairly quiet 8yo boy adores anything by Daft Punk. There's lots of hope in there but I'm ******ed if I can predict any of it!!

Back on topic, I'm another who loved the PWEI artwork in my teens, although all the PlayStation etc stuff passed me by. I can't quite think how, but some of this influence on a Tamiya could be amazing. Could go for a Lunchbox to paste that sort of "vision of the future from the past" onto something very 20th century, with a big canvas to work with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

It's beyond me. We had a party recently. My next door neighbour's 9yo daughter got hold of my Spotify and put on "This is how it feels". My fairly quiet 8yo boy adores anything by Daft Punk. There's lots of hope in there but I'm ******ed if I can predict any of it!!

Back on topic, I'm another who loved the PWEI artwork in my teens, although all the PlayStation etc stuff passed me by. I can't quite think how, but some of this influence on a Tamiya could be amazing. Could go for a Lunchbox to paste that sort of "vision of the future from the past" onto something very 20th century, with a big canvas to work with. 

I guess one way is to actually try and create some redesigned body to go on an existing chassis. The other is to just take some of the colour, livery, font and decal/logo ideas. I can absolutely see how that would work. There are some really interesting colourways and designs going around, especially on the Mini 4WD Tamiya stuff. 

Happy to see that this seems to be an idea that a few people share.

I've got a QD Super Sabre to try this on which should work well. It's all futuristic angles and mid cab design.

I am thinking of the red and white AG systems style, as I've got red and white paint. Seems like block colours, straight lines, yellow trim and blue work well. No sponsor stickers, but I'll make some logos - I'm trying to think of the name that reflects a team from Wipeout, but also something QD or Tamiya related. QD-SYSTEMS might be a good one.

I've still got an existing car to finish off first, so I'll not make a build thread yet - but when I get painting I'll let people know.

It's certainly reignited my interested in buggies and now I'm please I got the Super Sabre, as I think it is (and perhaps the Thunder Dragon) about as close as Tamiya made to this style.

1199px-WipEout_Pulse-AG_systems_01.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:53 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

Yes!  Many years ago I painted a Dark Impact shell with the Goteki 45 team colors for my son.  I currently have a spare Nissan GTR LM Nismo body for the F103GT that I'm planning to do a proper Wipeout theme on.  The shape of the shell really reminds me those ships.  I'd love to see some of the Wipeout concepts in current-day auto racing:  boosts, energy drains, (non-lethal) weapons, shields, autopilot, etc.  I'd even love to see it in RC racing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Awesome! That Nissan will look great. Goteki was one of my favourites, and I love the colours and font.

Cool idea! I never played Wipeout (only saw the beta in the Hackers movie), but I played a TON of F Zero X (N64), and I always thought those ships could make for some cool liveries on RC and other things. Whenever I'm considering a new paintjob, the color combinations on the cars in Burnout Paradise are usually at the top of my mind.

Oh my! This TC forum just keeps hitting all the right notes for me :lol: Perhaps it's our age?

I was (STILL AM!) a huge WipeOut 2097 fan. Those bands feature heavily in my record/CD collection. And The Designers Republic design :wub: 

I recently dusted off the PS1 and popped the game in for a quick blast - it held up very well after all these years. Unfortunately my PS1 hasn't...it died after a couple of races.... Fortunately I got my hands on a PS4 recently and picked up Wipeout Omega collection - it's good, very pollished....but....the soundtrack isn't anywhere near as good as 2097.

I think a WipeOut inspred theme would be awesome. Especially on one of the F103GT bodies like that Nissan. You could keep the centre section dark so it appears more like the pronged shape of the racers from the game.

• Like 1

Even though it's not exactly a buggy, @Craig G had this kind of idea in his build thread:

I actually had the intention of getting a new Astute and trying to recreate the Ag Systems livery, but my inexperience with dealing with body painting, no real way to do custom decals and a nice XV-01 Lancia integrale being available got in the way.

• Like 1