Sign in to follow this  
Juhunio

SOLD! Monster Beetle Black Edition, Built, Never Run

**** EDIT: Now Sold (25/5/22) ****

I have decided to sell my new built / never run Monster Beetle Black Edition. Fair to say that we never really got on, and I'm aware how well loved these generally are so I hope it can be taken on by someone who will appreciate it more than I can

spacer.png

I didn't massively enjoy building it, I failed to work out how to customise its looks to suit my tastes, and it has sat inside a (large) plastic crate since I built it in the summer of 2020. It has never even turned its wheels over. It's just not for me, as building it pretty much convinced me that I'm a touring car / buggy guy. 

In a nutshell, it's a brand new MB Black Edition chassis, with black CVAs, a new motor, new ESC, new servo, new tyres, new wheels, a painted Sand Scorcher shell instead of an MB shell, lots of extra hex hub conversion parts and a brand new set of Absima LED spots. 

£130, collection from Cardiff if possible. £15 for fully insured shipping within the UK

In an appropriately much bigger shell, it's as follows:

The good bits:

• It's a Monster Beetle Black Edition chassis in as new / never run condition, with lots of black chassis parts
  • I replaced the yellow CVAs with black ones from (if memory serves me) a Blackfoot? Not sure why Tamiya supplied yellow CVAs with something they called a 'Black Edition' when they actually manufacture a matching part in (checks notes) black, but I rectified it....black CVAs it is
  • When I built it I added the 'shim mod' to the diff...one Traxxas 1985 PTFE-coated 5x8x0.5mm washer to tighten up the floaty diff
  • Brand new silver can 540 motor
  • Brand new TBLE-02S ESC
  • Brand new servo...not sure what I put in there and the dust cover is held down by zip ties so I don't really want to take it off to find out. But there's a new servo in there, most likely an Etronix
  • Tyres and wheels are in brand new condition
  • All remaining plastic parts are there, including an unpainted driver figure so you can paint and install Albert Attaboy!
  • I tried to get different wheels to work which meant buying and testing the Tamiya Frog Hex Adapter, some Fastrax Bearing Hex Hubs and some hex extenders...none of them worked, but all are included in the sale and are as new
  • Shell is never run, however.....

The bad bits:

• this was the 3rd kit I ever bought, and I was determined to turn it into a Herbie. So what I needed was a nice new Sand Scorcher shell, not the black shell. So I foolishly sold the limited edition black body shell :( I have since learned the importance of keeping original parts, even if you don't use them 
  • so this includes a Sand Scorcher shell drilled to fit the MB chassis. I abandoned the Herbie look and just painted it a chrome and black mix, and decorated it with some custom stickers from MCI. It looks pretty cool, and has never been run

Changing to the SS shell meant I lost the plastic 'spot lamps', so I bought a set of Absima LED spots that plug straight into a receiver alongside the servo and ESC plugs. My plan was to attach them to the bumper and then run the wiring up to the receiver, but I never got around to it so they're still new in packet and included in the sale 

It's obviously massive, I've had to disconnect the front axles, one of the rear axles and the body-mount cross beam to get it to fit back into the box

I'll post some more pics in additional posts below....

spacer.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That Traxxas shim mod in the diff...

spacer.png

UPDATE: A set of brand new gold plated Monster Beetle wheels is now included in the sale. I'll update the photos once they have arrived 

The brand new MB wheels have arrived and been added to the listing, with updated pics ^^^^^^^^^

spacer.png

This is an old picture I took shortly after I finished building it, which I thought I would include just to show the body fitted to the chassis.

NB The chrome wheels in this picture are not included (though are listed for sale separately). The sale includes the gold MB wheels on their sprues 

The chrome spotlights are also not included, they had the wrong plug connector on them so I took them off. My intention was always to mount the black Absima ones (included in the sale) instead but I never got around to it

spacer.png

This has now SOLD! Hopefully off to a new home where it will be loved and enjoyed :)