Sign in to follow this  
JeffSpicoli

Mr. Spicoli's mk1 Golf Group 2 - 58025 build thread

Made some decent progress tonight on the MK1 Golf Group 2 build.

Very reminiscent of my Associated 12i that I owned as a teenager.    You really get the feel for these crude Tamiya kits but again this was 1981.  It makes sense for that era.  I knew this was going to be a quick build to some extent.  But for 2 hours, I'm shocked I got this far.

I'm spending more time looking for a good box art painter than building.   The body will get box art paint but in alternative colors I've picked out.  These painters are divas, I've contacted a few so far and you can tell because they do good work you're kind of just another plebe contacting them.  Mildly annoying since I'm willing to pay top dollar and even tip.

Here's where we are now - who decides to start building on a work night at 10pm?   This guy.

Photo Apr 25, 12 05 10 AM.jpg

Photo Apr 25, 12 05 32 AM.jpg

• Like 6

Test fitted a new school NIMH - definitely not fitting.   It's going to get interesting on the battery part of this build.   Will definitely run an ESC and will probably finally break down and buy a new school radio. A Sanwa with smaller receiver and servo to save space.

• Like 2

Could use a shorty 2s lipo or even go newskool 1/12 and run 1s pack :) 

Your front bumper looks dangerously close to the Duplos, do they clear?

• Thanks 1

yes Willy there are no tie rods in yet. Clearance not a problem. Ill check this out regarding battery.  I was kind of hoping I could maybe do the soldered cell 80s pan car thing like they did with 80s carpet cars. thanks for popping in.

It's not my era for Tamiya , I'm more 90's and 2000's but it's smart if not a simple looking chassis.

And best of luck with the painting 🤞 have to say I'd be a bit apprehensive knowing how rare it is.😳

8 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

I was kind of hoping I could maybe do the soldered cell 80s pan car thing like they did with 80s carpet cars. 

A ladder pack of subCs should fit fine, cells of either religion would be of same diameter... that’s only 5cells wide though.

Or a pair of 18650s if you’re not stickler for originality :)  

4 hours ago, svenb said:

It's not my era for Tamiya , I'm more 90's and 2000's but it's smart if not a simple looking chassis.

And best of luck with the painting 🤞 have to say I'd be a bit apprehensive knowing how rare it is.😳

I def will not be the one painting it, but finding someone has been tough so far.   The 3 best so far, no luck - Bitchin Bodies, no response, MR, turned down, Passion UK, no response.

Checking around, I've got a battery compartment 51mm wide, which seems like a standard width for these cells, and length of 118mm to play with.

Steering servo install.  Will be looking for better tie rods that are easier to adjust I HATE doing toe in and toe out.  Its back breaking bc I’m hunched over the desk trying to get it perfect. Servo horn and linkage looks like there will be some alignment tweeking needed its not a straight shot. 

Test fitting.  Motor leads are too long - I might do a direct solder and cut off the connectors even though I really like these old school connectors.

A30F9F1D-0330-4FC5-8A7A-053794BF8D12.jpeg

• Like 3

Curious what people think - Should I direct solder the motor to the ESC and cut off the connectors or shorten the wires and keep the connectors?  WWYD?

4 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Curious what people think - Should I direct solder the motor to the ESC and cut off the connectors or shorten the wires and keep the connectors?  WWYD?

Your car, your rules!  ;)

Personally I'd probably do direct solder and go for a clean look... but it depends on what you want.  The ESC and 645mg already take it out of the realm of "period correct" and sort of into "resto-mod", so if you want to add a clean modern edge, shorten the wires and get out the soldering iron.

Bummer about the issues with finding a painter.  I wouldn't think box-art paint would be too hard to do on that body from a technical perspective, but doing it on vintage body definitely ups the stakes a bit!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Your car, your rules!  ;)

Personally I'd probably do direct solder and go for a clean look... but it depends on what you want.  The ESC and 645mg already take it out of the realm of "period correct" and sort of into "resto-mod", so if you want to add a clean modern edge, shorten the wires and get out the soldering iron.

Bummer about the issues with finding a painter.  I wouldn't think box-art paint would be too hard to do on that body from a technical perspective, but doing it on vintage body definitely ups the stakes a bit!

Yeah it's not easy but still these guys who are pros do this day in day out.   My biggest problem is, most of the painters, all their work looks the same.   Every painter has a gallery filled with modern offroad buggies with neon colors and tribal graphics.  Nobody is doing anything unique.

These paint schemes were being used 30 years ago.   And they were cutting edge then but not anymore.

5 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

I never cut wires(or body posts) as I like to swap and change esc's and motors between different chassis's, but if it's just a regular tble-02 ESC then there's nothing to worry about value wise👍

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, svenb said:

I never cut wires(or body posts) as I like to swap and change esc's and motors between different chassis's, but if it's just a regular tble-02 ESC then there's nothing to worry about value wise👍

Kinda my thoughts.  Shocked how cheap they are.  I remember having to save up for my mc112b!

1st off, that chassis is just spectacular!  I am new to the early Tamiya world, especially to the early pan cars, and that thing is just gorgeous!  I have 12Es, 12Is, & 12Ls, but something really speaks to me about the early Tamiya MKs.  At this point, I only have a MK5, but I hope to inflate that collection in the future.

I have an odd question, do the rear wheels look like the attached, and would these fronts and rears be original to the MK1 Tamiyas?  I asked because these came on a Traxxas Fiero GTP I have, and I have yet to find another Fiero with the same wheels on it, so I was super curious where they came from.  Looking at your rig may have just answered that question.

traxxas fiero gtp wheels 1.jpg

13 hours ago, morrisey0 said:

1st off, that chassis is just spectacular!  I am new to the early Tamiya world, especially to the early pan cars, and that thing is just gorgeous!  I have 12Es, 12Is, & 12Ls, but something really speaks to me about the early Tamiya MKs.  At this point, I only have a MK5, but I hope to inflate that collection in the future.

I have an odd question, do the rear wheels look like the attached, and would these fronts and rears be original to the MK1 Tamiyas?  I asked because these came on a Traxxas Fiero GTP I have, and I have yet to find another Fiero with the same wheels on it, so I was super curious where they came from.  Looking at your rig may have just answered that question.

traxxas fiero gtp wheels 1.jpg

HI @morrisey0 The wheels in your photo def appear to be the exact same as my wheels.  I don't have them mounted like your fronts with those c-clips or whatever they are called. I have nuts on all 4.   I am hoping to somehow rig up some BBS like this guy with rubber tires:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=123139&id=19163

On 4/30/2022 at 10:54 AM, JeffSpicoli said:

The inspiration for the paint scheme coming on the Golf will be coming from my 2 wheeler :)

Stay tuned.

DSC_5414_resize.JPG

That old Haro is rad!!!

On 5/11/2022 at 1:19 PM, JeffSpicoli said:

MaxAmps showed up today.  Truly remarkable service and a perfect fit.  So so happy.  

BE097807-7B91-4678-9197-B001530E2102.jpeg

If you're willing to pay the price, MaxAmps are top notch (products and service).

25 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

That old Haro is rad!!!

If you're willing to pay the price, MaxAmps are top notch (products and service).

Thanks!

Yes, $90.  Which for a few packs I'm good with, I'm not in need of 5 or 10 packs or anything crazy.  Tho now I want to order a custom 4x3 for my Knightrunner because it will fit perfectly in there.