Sign in to follow this  
JeffSpicoli

Mr. Spicoli's mk1 Golf Group 2 - 58025 build thread

Mr. Spicoli...

has there been any progress on this?  curious minds are curious.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 2:51 AM, tim.senecal said:

Mr. Spicoli...

has there been any progress on this?  curious minds are curious.

I was wondering the same. Come on @JeffSpicoli put us out of our misery ;)

Looking forward to the outcome, as I have the same kit to finish.

How did the hunt for a body painter go? 

Golf-01 (1).JPG

Golf-01 (2).JPG

• Like 3

Paint looks great.  Love the color combo and the riff on the original box art.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2022 at 2:24 AM, GeeWings said:

Looking so good @JeffSpicoli. I bet you can't wait to put this all together.

I am. I am a bit nervous bc it looks less shiny than I expected so I am wondering if he painted the outside of the lexan, due to age of the shell, I can’t tell from the pics.  We will know soon.

We're about at the finish line.

I need to finish the driver, I'm toying with buying a different interior and putting in a roll cage.

I'd also like some BBS style wheels like another member has in his showroom on this same model.

2ed9467f-01f8-489e-8366-7048d8cd9514.thumb.jpeg.1923824be015fd5ec4ae1b2118d0725a.jpeg

• Like 4

On 8/18/2022 at 5:43 AM, JeffSpicoli said:

I am. I am a bit nervous bc it looks less shiny than I expected so I am wondering if he painted the outside of the lexan, due to age of the shell, I can’t tell from the pics.  We will know soon.

So what's the verdict?  Did it get painted on the inside or the outside?  Are you happy with it?

Looks great so far.

5 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

So what's the verdict?  Did it get painted on the inside or the outside?  Are you happy with it?

Looks great so far.

He painted the inside, I forgot that we discussed the issue with the shiny body and the grill piece matching with the paint.  It was his professional belief the best thing to do was paint the inside and flat clear the outside and grill to make them match.  I like it, I'm super happy with it.  I wish I woulda known about his trademark in the back window, but I''m debating on trying to remove it.

• Like 1

Mocking up my driver figure.  And windshield banner.  Got white decal paper today so we’ll be giving that a go soon for the Blaupunkt banner.

I really wish MR would have told me he was going to TM the rear window.  Not sure if I can safely remove that painted logo. 

421FBF30-1970-4296-8D87-91D964EE7270.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 6:56 AM, Mirrorman said:

Looking forward to the outcome, as I have the same kit to finish.

How did the hunt for a body painter go? 

Golf-01 (1).JPG

Golf-01 (2).JPG

I ended up using MR Custom Painting from Iowa.   What's the status of your build?

22 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

Mocking up my driver figure.  And windshield banner.  Got white decal paper today so we’ll be giving that a go soon for the Blaupunkt banner.

I really wish MR would have told me he was going to TM the rear window.  Not sure if I can safely remove that painted logo. 

I'd be pretty annoyed to have a logo added without my consent... especially on a body like that.  If you work slow, you can probably remove it with Tamiya Paint Remover and Triangle Craft Swabs... but it is a risk...

1 hour ago, bRIBEGuy said:

I'd be pretty annoyed to have a logo added without my consent... especially on a body like that.  If you work slow, you can probably remove it with Tamiya Paint Remover and Triangle Craft Swabs... but it is a risk...

That's my thinking, a big risk.  And I'd rather not have a cloudy spot in the window.   I thought of using a decal, but I'd have to be big enough to cover it.

If you look at his Instagram, he said all of the bodies have the logo.   I told him he should disclose that to the customer.   He said "fair enough."   

I think it's a big deal and I'm not trying to beat the guy up, MR does great work.  I got my $125 worth for sure, but yeah the logo shouldn't be incorporated.

Any idea what paint he used?  Knowing that might help in the removal options/feasibility...

4 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Any idea what paint he used?  Knowing that might help in the removal options/feasibility...

I wish I did, but I'm pretty sure he's an airbrush guy and probably uses the best paint possible for airbrushes.