foz75

(yet another) wheel/tyre question...

I recently got my hands on an XV-01 kit, and the stock wheels are 26mm wide, 52mm diameter (outside edge to outside edge). Rally block tyres in the kit. I am planning something a little different, which would require different wheels and tyres - is there any way of knowing which will fit, or will any "touring" or "rally" tyres work with 26mm rims? are all 26mm rims the same diameter? or are tamiya ones a slightly different size, as with some of their buggy wheels? The other option I am thinking of, which might need some experimentation but might work, would be something like a 1/16 crawler wheel and tyre. I know larger tyres on the same rims or crawler wheels and tyres will probably not work as well as the standard kit wheels and rally blocks, but there is a specific look I will be aiming for with this build, which would take precedent over performance!

They are standard 12mm hex so you can just slap on any standard hex wheels complete with tyres instead of trying to match tyres to the box rims. A quick play with the filter shows other scale wheels also do come with 12mm hex. 

GJXMPX3.jpeg

XV-01T came with small crawler-size tires, so if that's what you're looking for, it works great. If you're wanting different tread patterns, look for Class Zero tires, which are usually about 3.8" O.D.

Anything 1.9 or larger fits, smaller needs deep offset or wideners. 12 mm hex is industry standard, so you'll have lots of choices.

Yeah...I bought an XV01 as I had a planned to use m-chassis rims with 1/16th crawler tyres for a more retro/vintage style high sidewall look, but alas they don't fit over the XV hubs. So as Big John said, anything over standard touring/rally (1.9") works.

For other cars, the WPL 1/16th crawler tyres (on m-chassis wheels) are a nice alternative and can be had for cheap.

You can get the tall sidewall look with Protoform VTA wheels, although tire choices are limited. Also, some drift wheels have a plastic fake sidewall that looks OK.

some good ideas here, thanks! this is the sort of look I'm looking for:

53581984_10158078493611754_1519894522673233920_o-1024x768.jpg

I test fit these 1/10 scale crawler wheels and tires on my XV-01. They are a bit bigger in terms of proportions than your photo. However, they could potentially work if you added the XV-01T risers to the dirt shields (or left them off altogether) and trimmed the sides of the front bumper. Unfortunately, the XV-01T bumper doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Here are the wheels and tires I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Black-Wheels-Grinder-Crawler/dp/B07VMV1DHR

Here are the dirt shield risers:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-digit-spare-parts/rc-wheel-well-liner-mnt-58552/

20220427_185258.jpg

16 hours ago, foz75 said:

some good ideas here, thanks! this is the sort of look I'm looking for:

53581984_10158078493611754_1519894522673233920_o-1024x768.jpg

That's really cool! It's a shame that the XV01 can't allow for front m-chassis rims, this Scorcher (from Wyoming's showroom) with RC4WD 1.5" Dirt Grabbers on m-chassis beetle wheels would be a perfect setup for the above.

spacer.png