Mechanic AH

Your single most expensive RC item purchase?

Beyond retail price, what was the most insane/expensive single RC purchase you’ve made? Whether it’s a part or kit. New or vintage.

I always find interesting parts/kits for projects but because of the skyrocketing prices in the last couple years or so, some of the things I’m interested in are starting to become unobtainable (whether new or vintage). There are times when I have to just go for it even if the price is higher because that opportunity rarely comes back again. But it makes me feel guilty. Curious to hear what are some of your acquired items that are above ;) the normal price range.  

I think this could be a tough one for a lot of folks to talk about... ha ha ha.  Plus, I think there is a lot of mis-information about what people are ACTUALLY paying, and what they claim to have paid.  

For me personally, I typically won't pay much over MSRP for parts or kits... but I'm also no longer big into vintage collecting.  The scarcity and price jumps have pushed me out of that aspect of the hobby for now, and many of the things I've sold are now financially irreplaceable.  And I'm coming to terms with that.  I'm a huge fan of the Tamiya re-re stuff, and most of it can be found at reasonable prices.  Would I pay over that for a NIB kit?  Ya, maybe... I'm still trying to find a Boomerang, Dyna Storm, and Lancia 037 (TA03)... but I wouldn't be looking to shell out 2x the price or anything like that.

Since I regret selling the one's I had, I'd pay good money for a MK1 Hotshot and Hotshot 2... but again, I can't quantify that with a number.

But that's just me (and I may change my tune...).

Now... straight up most expensive purchase in my RC fleet.... MCD XR5-Max FT-R.  That makes Tamiya vintage NIB seem reasonable.  ;)

• Like 3

Not an actual piece of RC stuff, but invaluable to my hobby, second hand milling machine, followed by a DRO system for it.

• Like 5

Just now, MadInventor said:

Not an actual piece of RC stuff, but invaluable to my hobby, second hand milling machine, followed by a DRO system for it.

JEALOUS!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

JEALOUS!!!!!!!

It did cost less than a mid range tamiya tank would now, and the mill is coming up for nearly 50 years old.

• Like 1

Prices went mental during lockdown, so sold a load of my old Core Rc /Tamco/ Hobbyking and Etronix Transmitters and recievers on ebay. The micro recievers I was paying £12 for at one point ,where going for just under £50 and the £8 hobbyking ones for just over £20!?! 🤷‍♂️

Sold enough, to buy my most expensive RC purchase in the near 40 yrs of RCing, a Sanwa Exzes ZZ Transmitter ,a couple of Sanwa telemetry receiver's and a couple of antenna less SMD ones.

• Like 2

I'm not really a collector of the vintage stuff (although I do have 2 rehab'd Falcons), I'm more of a builder.  For me, the single largest purchase was a TA-08 Pro chassis kit.  That one set me back about $310.  For me, it's not the single largest purchase, but rather the purchases for a single car in aggregate...That TA-08 chassis, for example, now has close to $900 invested in it in total and will be over $1,000 once I put my FPV setup in there...

• Like 4

The Tenth Technology Predator X10 on release was my single biggest purchase - was about £500, think it was 2008 or so.

My TRF201 XR/XM build from parts has probably passed that now though... (But that's lots of tiny purchases :D)

• Like 3

IMG_Jun152021at80457PM.thumb.jpg.7a48a5fd9610c0ea66f5823f29eb01ad.jpg

M38 NIB.   $1700 or something, I don’t remember.  I bought a few (?) :ph34r: M38’s and they weren’t exactly cheap.. 

• Like 8

I put a $100 Novak Hammer ESC and $100 Thorp transmission in my used and (VERY) abused hand-me-down Blackfoot. If you scale by age/income (I was 12) that's a pretty bad couple decisions. lol

But recently, I'd have to say my first 1/8th scale buggy build, all brand new. Probably around $1200 all told.

Resized_20220329_195003_9755.jpeg

Resized_20220328_175246_1932.jpeg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

M38 NIB.   $1700 or something, I don’t remember.  I bought a few (?) :ph34r: M38’s and they weren’t exactly cheap.. 

But those miniature Willys... those are priceless!  ;)

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, bRIBEGuy said:

But those miniature Willys... those are priceless!  ;)

Yeah, gotta love Bob, Willy’s dad.

IMG_Dec162021at50712PM.jpg.0308642adbd6e8ab696a28a3f840fd49.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My most expensive purchase in one go was actually a collection that i purchased from a gentleman who contacted me. The lot came to just short of £3000.

I had to buy the missus something nice after... :rolleyes:

J

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Rere Terra Scorcher, dont expect i will be buying very expensive stuff in this hobby.

If i see a Sand Scorcher, original or rere for relatively cheap i might pounce and that is liable to be a more expensive buy.

• Like 1

The most I've spent in one purchase was when I bought my highlift.  Including the radio gear and battery etc it came to about £450.  I don't think I would spend more than £500 on anything RC. In terms of parts, I've bought a couple of wheel and tyre sets for around £100.  

Of all my hobbies this is the cheapest, I probably average £200-300 per year on RC. 

• Like 1

My HG P415 Hummer H1, got it a few months ago when it was on "sale" at just under $600.  Have spent more than that on buying big lots of cars/parts, but that has been my most expensive single model purchase by far.  I'd never pay over retail for any RC, just not a collector (but good on the people that are, I love seeing them :) ).  

• Like 1

Axial Bomber kit, was about $375 IIRC. It will be beaten shortly by a Team Corally Kronos XTR that I'm planning to get once I clear up some space for it. 

• Like 1

Bruiser re-re probably had the highest price tag, but it was a gift, so it doesn't count.

I spent $400 on an RC4WD Trailfinder 2 kit that wasn't worth half that. And I spent $380 on a brand-new Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL that I never even opened, but used as a trade to get my hands on 5 RC10s and a few boxes of parts. Netted about $800 selling the RC10s after fixing them up, so that was a nice deal.

Turbo Optima re-re was $360, I think.

$200-250 for a kit is about the price range where I start to go "hey wait, let's think about this..."

• Like 3

I remember a Mugen MRX4 + engine setting me back a fair bit at the time & I’ve had some quite expensive radios over the years but if you really want to get rid of the cash get into helis. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JeffSpicoli said:

This easily.  $775

562C4A24-CB41-4EBE-BAC2-D25AC98C3522.jpeg

Wow! I thought I saw one of these sometime ago on fleabay and it was soo temping. Great buy!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I never knew these could go for that much! One day I'll need to build a Wild Willy.