Mechanic AH

Your single most expensive RC item purchase?

1 hour ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Would have to be total cost that was my TB Evo 4 build. I don't even want to price it up.

I think the thread is asking about a one time buy..   I mean if we're talking adding electronics and hop ups, then I'll have to post a picture of my RC shop as that's basically 'one unit' for me.  :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Willy iine said:

I think the thread is asking about a one time buy..   I mean if we're talking adding electronics and hop ups, then I'll have to show a picture of my RC shop as that's basically 'one unit' for me.  :D 

It is, I was just ignoring that part. Lol.

Single expensive item would be my TB02D BNIB

• Like 1

Most I’ve spooged on 1 rc is an OG clod that’s (still) nib & someone wrapped it in magical cellophane that is somehow impervious to it’s new owner.

I aspire to 1 day owning the Abrams rc full option tank kit which might cost more  

• Like 1

I bought an original new built fox with period radio gear installed from ebay a few years ago which cost me £530.I intended to run it but once i got it i couldnt do it as i didnt want to damage it so its now a shelf queen.

That would be a quite big lot of vintage TRF cars and parts. Won't say how much, but it certainly went beyond what I would've accepted just a few years back. No regrets though, easily worth it :)

• Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 7:00 PM, JeffSpicoli said:

This easily.  $775

562C4A24-CB41-4EBE-BAC2-D25AC98C3522.jpeg

When we were at school my good friend (whose Dad ran a German car workshop) paid slightly less for a real one! 

That is a gorgeous kit though :wub:

• Thanks 1

Easily my SCX6... that puppy was expensive! 

Tamiya-wise, the Re-Re bruiser put the largest dent in my wallet. As usual, had to have it... :) 

22 hours ago, Superluminal said:

You built it yet?

Not a chance 😁👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Most expensive hop up ?! 

Technigold motor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:20 PM, SuperChamp82 said:

Most expensive hop up ?! 

Avante carbon graphite chassis set

Have now surpassed my previous entry with a NIB TRF211XM

My other half is going to kill me

• Haha 2

I once pulled $400 out of the bank to send a money order for a like new assembled 1988 Avante I purchased on e bay. It was a lot at the time so had it shipped to a friend's house cause someone would be home. I kid you not, my wife thought I had spent the money on hookers and had a total B.F. she was a relieved when I brought home the car. Facepalm

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, 94eg! said:

I once pulled $400 out of the bank to send a money order for a like new assembled 1988 Avante I purchased on e bay. It was a lot at the time so had it shipped to a friend's house cause someone would be home. I kid you not, my wife thought I had spent the money on hookers and had a total B.F. she was a relieved when I brought home the car. Facepalm

That is gold. I think my wife just assumes any weird spending is on toy cars now, but you should really push the boat out now, withdraw heaps, buy everything then she is relieved when its just toy cars!

• Haha 2

My most expensive single purchase was Tamiya Tiger 1 full option tank that I had to order from Japan when it was first released. As for non Tamiya purchase that will be Traxxas TRX6 Mercedes G63 6 x6 which I dropped about $4,000 in upgrades and scale parts. What was I thinking!! wish I didn’t do that as I ended needing to buy a 2nd truck as a runner. I’m not rich,  I had to sell some of my kits and save up many many months to pay for that. 
 Do I regret it, no, I had tons to fun customizing the truck scale accurate like the 1:1 Brabus version. Would I have done it differently if I was given a chance to do it again. Yes, but I would put on cheaper less accurate parts and save tons of money so I can buy other toys I collect..Transformers, Star Wars etc.. which are cranking out quality and expensive toys for adult collectors. Just go to Haslab see the stuff they’re crowd funding now and in the past! 

C958E6A4-206D-4E0C-9B4B-1AE382139FE0.jpeg

• Like 1

My most expensive single purchase was the Sheridan full option kit along with the dedicated Tamiya tank radio set. Cost about a grand but that’s not really the point of this thread I believe. That price was what it should have been. I don’t think I’ve really ever spent over the odds for anything as most of my stuff has been bought as nib from retailers and is not vintage or rare. My Achilles heel will be a NIB Mini Monte Carlo body shell. I’m happy to use a modern chassis but that body is just so iconic I will have to bite the bullet sooner or later😩😩😩😩

• Like 1

In terms of Tamiya, I bought a TRF501x not long after they came out, got the kit unopened 2ndhand from Japan for would have been around $500AUD. All the ancillaries cost about the same again. I thought that was pricy.
I bought an Xmaxx new a few years ago, that was 13-1400 AUD.

The worst buy of my RC life as an Baja 5b electric. It looked ok in the photos and even ran. Upon closer inspection it turned out to be a badly worn 5b with an electric conversion poorly fitted.
So I decided a full strip and clean up/repair/replace was the go, and the longer and further I got into it, the worse it got. Badly worn parts, missing parts, flogged out parts ugh. I pumped a lot of money in to this thing after having paid overs for it.
For all that it was fixed in the end and is now my youngest sons. It could never be called a good life choice though.

Looking at my collection though. There are a lot of 2nd hand units in there bought for a low price and if necessary restoed by me. I basically try to pay waiting a long time trying to find a bargain prices. This is not because I am financially savvy or anything, it is because I generally have to buy things at that kind of price.

The one car I'll probably never own is a Tamiya Porsche 959. Just too expensive.

2 hours ago, 94eg! said:

🤔

Update to this, I just told my wife about that post and she asked she had ever questioned my purchases...that Avante Black Special or TRF420X are looking good right now. I say or, as it will only work once right? Or just order both and hope!

On 5/10/2022 at 9:27 PM, Nugget said:

Not a chance 😁👍

This is where I don't have the steel discipline I bought a blitzer beetle metallic special with the idea of keeping it mint and unbuilt so I had an unbuilt kit in my collection but I just spent all the time looking at it wanting to build it:(!  then I was having a bit of a move around with my boxes and took the lid off it just as the wife came into the room and casually said "and when is that getting built" ( why she said that is a mystery because she never comments on my kits) I said it isn't I'm keeping it unbuilt she casually as she walked out the room said "so your collecting a box of bits" :blink: 

So here it is! ..........I have no will power:(

20191109_163708.jpg

20191109_195104.jpg

20211118_153216.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2