catman79

my first m07 race!

so i managed to get myself a new m07r kit all the way from austrailia. initially when the kit arrived, my plans had changed and i put it up for sale, but with no takers i decided to build it, and im glad i did. 

this was the first tamiya kit i had built in years, and the quality of the fitment of parts was amazing, i ran an m05 a few years back and this kit was way, way above that. i had to rush it a bit as i had a local club meeting on tuesday eve, and didnt start the build untill sunday pm. 

the car went together lovely, and didnt need any shimming, also looked pretty due to bing the r version with the nice blue bits. so tuesday came and my first experience with the m07 was amazing, i didnt have to change set up, and it drove superbly, very similar to a tc. i managed ftq and the win, despite my 1060 esc cutting out intermittantly (new on on order), so was very happy. 

and to complete the set i ran my old tamiya 415 in the 13.5 class, and managed to win that too, the old girl did very well! 

if anyone is debating getting an m07, my advice would be get it, great cars, and so much fun!

m07.jpg.9aea4e97abc81081d222efb9e603be7f.jpgm072.jpg.9da2ea573d968a4307fbab6ed6365dd7.jpgm073.jpg.a7f2eeb3d256cb88c7085cb582fd3b05.jpg

• Like 9

Great job on getting a win with the new chassis - it normally takes me an entire race meet just to get a new car dialled enough to not swap ends at every corner :o 

I do love the look of the M07 and partly regret not getting one when I got my M05 for local racing last year, it does seem like it's a much more race-oriented chassis with loads more tuning options.  IMO M-chassis racing is about as fun as it gets for on-road.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Great job on getting a win with the new chassis - it normally takes me an entire race meet just to get a new car dialled enough to not swap ends at every corner :o 

I do love the look of the M07 and partly regret not getting one when I got my M05 for local racing last year, it does seem like it's a much more race-oriented chassis with loads more tuning options.  IMO M-chassis racing is about as fun as it gets for on-road.

it was so good out of the box, last experience i had was an m05 years ago, and this thing was soooo much better than that! cant wait for the next meeting!

• Like 2

Nice job winning the first time out, impressive!  Interesting to hear about another junk 1060 ESC.  I've had a few bad ones in the past year or so...sad that Tamiya is including them with their kits now, the Tamiya ESC is much better. 

13 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Nice job winning the first time out, impressive!  Interesting to hear about another junk 1060 ESC.  I've had a few bad ones in the past year or so...sad that Tamiya is including them with their kits now, the Tamiya ESC is much better. 

i use the xr10 pro in my touring car and have never had an issue. sadly the cheap 1060's do seem to have issues, i had the fault with mine and a couple of people at the club said they had the same issue in the past with other ones. ive fitted another new one now, and will be racing tonight, so fingers crossed this one will be ok!

• Like 1

Yea, I pretty much exclusively use Hobbywing brushless setups in my race trucks and 1080s/880s in crawlers and never a single issue.  Have had many issues with 1060/860s though.  Too bad, nice cheap little ESC.  Looking forward to hearing more about your racing.  

so just an update to this thread. did my second race last tuesday new hw speedo installed.. and the car was still cutting out! i still managed the win, but by the absolute skin of my teeth! new reciever installed for tomorrows trip so fingers crossed!

was an eventful evening as the 415 i was also running fell apart on several occasions, the king pin came out of the hub, but still managed to finish, and for the final i had to gaffa tape the c hub to the wishone, somehow the car made it from lights to flag in 1st place. oh and for good measure the layshaft fell apart resulting in fwd only, might be time to retire this car lol

• Like 1

@catman79

Good job winning against those odds! I have also had a few issues here and there racing hw1060. I seem to have sorted them by soldering in capacitor packs on the battery lead side. Might be worth a try before throwing the ESC in the bin? 

12 hours ago, catman79 said:

so just an update to this thread. did my second race last tuesday new hw speedo installed.. and the car was still cutting out! i still managed the win, but by the absolute skin of my teeth! new reciever installed for tomorrows trip so fingers crossed!

was an eventful evening as the 415 i was also running fell apart on several occasions, the king pin came out of the hub, but still managed to finish, and for the final i had to gaffa tape the c hub to the wishone, somehow the car made it from lights to flag in 1st place. oh and for good measure the layshaft fell apart resulting in fwd only, might be time to retire this car lol

TRF415's should never be retired. Just give it a few nice upgrades and keep it fresh.  You can even fit the latest TRF420X suspension on the 415 :).. although you might need to change the drive shafts if you are running the older TBevo 3 style arms. 

I also agree about M07's.. superb cars. A totally different class to the earlier M chassis. 

so thought i would post a closing bit to this thread, 

we have just completed our race series and my little m07 won! when i originally bough the car i had a change of heart and planned to sell it, fortunatley it didnt sell so i built and raced it. have to say its so much fun, these are such underrated little cars, at the start of the series there was approx 8 cars, at the start of the next series we will have over 20! id recommend getting one to anyone who is thinking about it!

m07r.jpg.4ed3a2fd2ffd239ab0760e7592755125.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, catman79 said:

so thought i would post a closing bit to this thread, 

we have just completed our race series and my little m07 won! when i originally bough the car i had a change of heart and planned to sell it, fortunatley it didnt sell so i built and raced it. have to say its so much fun, these are such underrated little cars, at the start of the series there was approx 8 cars, at the start of the next series we will have over 20! id recommend getting one to anyone who is thinking about it!

m07r.jpg.4ed3a2fd2ffd239ab0760e7592755125.jpg

Awesome, congratulations!  There's nothing like RC racing, such a good time.  Glad to hear the class is growing as well that's always good news. 

Nice win 👍🏻
There is something about the M Chassis’s isn’t there, I always enjoy taking an M08 out for a spin. 

17 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Nice win 👍🏻
There is something about the M Chassis’s isn’t there, I always enjoy taking an M08 out for a spin. 

there certainly is, and ive only just realised this lol!! 

kinda might get the m08r, dont need one, probably wont use it, but i just want one lol

• Like 1