monark192

Parts Bin Rally Build - TT01

This will be my fist build thread and, confident that I won't come anywhere close to the quality of the builds shown here, decided to build a rally car runner using as many left over parts I already have.  These days I mostly race Tamiya on road (TT02, TA08 Pro currently) with our local club so I was looking for something I can drive on the street in front of my house for fun.  The added ground clearance of a rally car seemed a good choice - and I don't already have one. As the r/c budget goes on racing these days, it was time to dig through the parts bin.

TGS Chassis as the starting point.

IMG_7172.jpg

IMG_7173.jpg

• Like 5

I had done the rally mod to my TT-01, great fun. 

A little more digging through what I have.  Wheels, improvised tire foam, and the only extra body I have - Rally BMW M3!

Only purchases so far are the tub, rally block tires, and the G parts for the gears.

I can only find friction shocks in my box of spares so will have to do some research for a cheap option.

IMG_7176.jpg

• Like 4

Pretty much complete and I'm pleased how it turned out.  Total investment was about $40 (tires, chassis, and G parts for some gears) and I have a running car from parts/electronics I had sitting in a box. I'm looking for a used rally body cheap and currently it only has friction shocks but it drives!

IMG_7191.jpg

IMG_7190.jpg

• Like 3

Subscribed. Been thinking of doing something similar with an older TT-01 I have. What you planning on doing for shocks/suspension? For mine, am contemplating some taller shock towers and longer shocks for more usable travel.
I dig the E46 M3 body you're running too...have the same body on one of my drift cars. 

5 hours ago, EsotericRC said:

Subscribed. Been thinking of doing something similar with an older TT-01 I have. What you planning on doing for shocks/suspension? For mine, am contemplating some taller shock towers and longer shocks for more usable travel.
I dig the E46 M3 body you're running too...have the same body on one of my drift cars. 

The E46 body didn't work out as it was too wide.  Currently only has friction shocks while I'm looking around for used body / oil shocks.. Didn't want to spend too much as the goal was to use up spare parts sitting around. I hope something will show up if I am patient.

16 hours ago, monark192 said:

The E46 body didn't work out as it was too wide.  Currently only has friction shocks while I'm looking around for used body / oil shocks.. Didn't want to spend too much as the goal was to use up spare parts sitting around. I hope something will show up if I am patient.

It's too bad. They are plenty of options to go wider but as I'm sure you know, none of them is cheap. For what it's worth the Castrol Civics bodysets are very cheap right now. If that's your thing of course :)

Cool project!

I would have a look at the Yeah Racing Big Bore Go dampers - they come in a lot of sizes starting at 50mm, and going up in 5mm increments to 70mm, after that they go up in 10mm increments to 120mm.

To use dampers much longer than stock TT01 items you might need to think about taller towers though (like the XV01 Long Damper Spec). I guess if you have too much travel you could end up having the driveshafts fall out/disengage anyway.