Dakratfink

Old ideas for a new class

So, I’m moving house this week and going cross country back to a Midwestern town that is, compared to the desolate wilderness I have been living in, civilization. 
I’ve noticed that the nearest club to where I’m moving has a standing policy “If we don’t have a certain class you want to run , get 3 or more drivers and we will run it policy “

I say “old ideas” because I’m borrowing from a lot of existing Old school RC classes as well as some 1:1 grassroots racing.

I’ve noticed a lot of clubs here in the US don’t run a “banger” type class of slow, fun and cheap cars

I know over in the UK you all have dedicated spec classes for the Mardave Mini and other such banger cars. 
We used to have the BoLink Legends back when I still still raced in the late 80s and early 90s as a kid . ( I know RJ Speed still makes the Legend chassis under a new name ).   
In 1:1 motorsports in the US a lot of dirt tracks run “sport compact” which is the closest equivalent to what EU and  UK racing fans call banger racing.

My idea for a “Sport Compact” RC class would be something like the following:

225mm ( or whatever the Medium M chassis wheelbase is… I think it’s 225, right ? ) 

I think vintage or obsolete 1/12 pan cars might also fit this range.

2s Lipo 

540 27 T silver can ( it doesn’t have to be spec Silver can. But perhaps borrow the motor but in rule from 1:1 racing . Anyone can claim the winner’s motor for say $20 to de incentivize people from cheating with built motor .

Perhaps allow brushless 380 size motors as well 

Any body that fits the wheelbase of the chassis and is based on a street car/van / truck etc ( so we don’t get aero wars of everyone running a 1/12 pan car body ) 

Does anyone think this would be a good “cheap fun “ grass roots class, or would no one run it ?

I’d like to hear anyones thoughts 

Suggestions to improve or tweak the rules , would anyone run it etc etc ? 

On 5/3/2022 at 6:36 PM, Dakratfink said:

If we don’t have a certain class you want to run , get 3 or more drivers and we will run it policy “

I quite like that, doesn't leave anyone out. You and 2 mates want a lunchbox race, crack on! 👍

Our off road club run 3 classes, 2wd, 4wd and 2wd trucks. More rules tends to dilute classes (I'm guessing over the pond in the US, you have the numbers to fill all the 'Stock' and 'mod' classes though?).

If someone rocks up with a 4wd truck, they just remove the prop to make it 2wd, job done.

Less rules, means less cheating, and less to police. We have control tyres for 2wd and 4wd buggy (but they're the best for the track anyway), but truck is open choice.

The on road club near me, I think are similar, I've seen the mini stocks bouncing around, mixing with the M chassis.

Once you're in the club, you never know, there might be 2 guys just waiting for the 3rd to turn up ,with that very chassis 😃

If you want to run the M-Chassis scale class, then your rules look pretty good. 

In the UK, TT02 class is probably the most popular now for a cheap class. They keep the torque tuned, the esc etc and limit the hop-ups (CVA dampers, bearings etc). It must also run a scale shell. 

Its cheap, parts are easily available, looks great, lots of choice of shells. That's why it seems to be a popular class.  (Nowadays a mardave is more than a basic TT02!). The TT02 obviously is more usable, you can run it indoors and out etc. 

Another class we race is just basic Grasshoppers. Kit 380 motors. The only hop-up is bearings. Its the closest / cheapest racing out there. They are all quite slow, but if everyone is running the same speed its not any different, if anything it makes getting the lines more important. The other good thing is that you never break anything.. 3 years, same tyres, no breakages :) If racing outdoors, just going to 540's would be fine. 

69EDC9FC-710B-4536-971E-7DD7A6BC5200.jpeg

• Like 3