Super ally

Novafox diff problem.

14 hours ago, Hobbimaster said:

You are going to have to replace the gears, and understand there is no slipper clutch. Going from "reverse to full throttle" only once will destroy the gears.

Joy. One more thing to like about Kyosho re res.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Super ally said:

Tried what you have said and there is no noise from gearbox but when i put it on the ground and hit forward then it clicks.

Ok - yeah almost certainly a gearbox issue then I'm afraid.

11 hours ago, Super ally said:

Tried what you have said and there is no noise from gearbox but when i put it on the ground and hit forward then it 

Double post for some reason...

On 5/6/2022 at 8:16 PM, Mrowka said:

Joy. One more thing to like about Kyosho re res.

100% agree! While I'm a life long fan of Tamiya, Kyosho just did their re-releases right. Metal diff gears, slipper clutch's, all made for today's motors, and batteries. Comes at a higher price, but well worth it over all plastic kits, with 1980's technology.

• Like 1

For what it's worth..  I used anti-wear grease on my NovaFox differential gears and haven't had any issues.  I run a 14T brushless that pulls the front wheels off the ground when accelerating.

NovaFox.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/9/2022 at 3:23 AM, Killajb said:

For what it's worth..  I used anti-wear grease on my NovaFox differential gears and haven't had any issues.  I run a 14T brushless that pulls the front wheels off the ground when accelerating.

NovaFox.jpg

I took gearbox apart and checked gears,no sign of any damage to them.I put anti wear grease on differential gears as you said but still makes clicking sound when accelerating.Dont think there is much else i can do.

I'm afraid anti-wear grease probably wouldn't solve a pre-existing issue with the gears, it was more of a preventive suggestion.  

On 5/27/2022 at 10:04 PM, Super ally said:

I took gearbox apart and checked gears,no sign of any damage to them.I put anti wear grease on differential gears as you said but still makes clicking sound when accelerating.Dont think there is much else i can do.

Seems weird that there would be clicking every time you accelerate, but no sign of any damage on any of the gears from that clicking. If it were jumping teeth somewhere, I'd have expected that to have left a mark of some sort.

Do you recall if the brass pipe is installed in the diff gears?  Or the pin on the long diff joint?  Could lead to the diff jumping and crunching under load.  Also make sure you are attached to the correct motor holes based on pinion choice.  

5BF6E6C1-4411-4434-BCA8-B40499C7A0C7.jpeg

20 hours ago, AJB123 said:

Seems weird that there would be clicking every time you accelerate, but no sign of any damage on any of the gears from that clicking. If it were jumping teeth somewhere, I'd have expected that to have left a mark of some sort.

I thought there would be damage on gears but there was no sign of any damage which i was surprised at.

18 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

Do you recall if the brass pipe is installed in the diff gears?  Or the pin on the long diff joint?  Could lead to the diff jumping and crunching under load.  Also make sure you are attached to the correct motor holes based on pinion choice.  

5BF6E6C1-4411-4434-BCA8-B40499C7A0C7.jpeg

Yes the brass pipe is installed in diff gears and motor holes are right for 15t pinion.I have been careful to make sure everthing was done right.

My Fox always clicked and popped especially with Modified Motors,trimming and shimming did help somewhat. I think it is the spyder gears that are jumping?

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, drc35 said:

My Fox always clicked and popped especially with Modified Motors,trimming and shimming did help somewhat. I think it is the spyder gears that are jumping?

I took the gearbox apart and put anti wear grease on the diff and it helped a bit but still clicks a bit when accelerating.I have bought new gears for it just in case it gets worse.Does yours still click?

I had a nightmare issue with a grasshopper re release. Turned out one of the gears inside the transmission was out of round from the factory.  Tamiya USA  sent our replacement gears and the issue is gone.

Maybe take the transmission apart and rotate the assembly and watch for anything weird.  Also a last issue when putting the transmission back together was a stubborn bearing that was never inserted all the way even though it looked like it was.

DT02 and 03 transmissions had zero issues building

I had this issue when I restored a vintage car using rere parts with a NOS  gear set. It didn’t help me that I was reusing the old hex drive shafts too. Anyway the way I “solved” it was to carefuly add shims to keep the diff gears together. Took a few times taking it apart, reassembling,  putting it on  the ground to find it still wasn’t right, but eventually I got it. It’s also why I gave up on the car. I had the similar struggle with a Wild One FAV I built from parts. I Decided I was done with resto runners. If its not a new build rere, I’m not having it to run.

If you have a cracked tooth, which can be hard to find, it will make a load of noise. I would check each tooth starting with the spur gear. If you need any help, I'll be upstairs sleeping.

16 hours ago, RichieRich said:

If you have a cracked tooth, which can be hard to find, it will make a load of noise. I would check each tooth starting with the spur gear. If you need any help, I'll be upstairs sleeping.

No the teeth were ok no damage.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:25 PM, Super ally said:

Yes i mean when in reverse then going straight into forward it makes the clicking noise.

Really shouldn't be doing that