Dazza1

Information on tamiya trf 42278 spring rates

Hi does anybody know the spring rates of the latest big bore shock springs. All u can find is there soft, medium and hard.

I've recently found out the the springs that come with the big bore shocks (green spring) is rated around around 2.5lbs. So it will be good to know the other spring rates.

Thanks in advance 

42278-2T.jpg

FB_IMG_1651768509317.jpg

They certainly aren't 2.5lbs, that would be like a buggy spring. Probably someone thinks they are close to 2.5N/mm.

It's been a while since I ran my touring car so I'm not sure whether I have used that set of springs or not. Tamiya never publish rates but release multiple different sets so it can all get a bit confusing.

Best way to work out the rates is to calculate them based on wire diameter/number of coils etc.

Or just treat them as "soft/medium/hard" like Tamiya expect you to.

Or use another manufacturer's spring that has an actual published rate.

• Like 1

Sorry your right i just read 2.5 and assumed it was in lbs.

I have no problem treating them as soft/medium/hard but it would be nice to know the rates and where the green springs that come with the shocks fit in on the spectrum so to speak. I may to just gauge them as suggested by you.

As regards to using another manufacturer's springs, i really could not bring myself to do it lol.

Thanks

If you already bought the springs and the TRF shocks, an easy way of classifying them from softest to hardesy is by holding two springs end to end between your fingers and squeezing. The one that compresses the most is the softest. 

I bought these springs for my YR qutus dampers and wanted to know how they compared to the YR ones. They're certainly on the stiff side that's for sure. 

I got this from the tamiya site. I really wish tamiya would stay consistent with colors for their springs. 

Screenshot_20211105-204920_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@sosidge is spot on 

A question aimed at TRF damper set up might consider things beyond springs ?

Piston holes, shaft length / material and offset tops etc ? Plus greases + seals ?

All will inform ride height, shock travel + bounce 👍