I know, another non-Tamiya monster truck thread but wanted to share with you guys since I think she came out pretty cool looking. 

I'll never forget when I first saw this truck in person back in 1990, it was absolutely unbelievable.  Compared to the previous generation leaf spring trucks this was in a completely different league.  May as well have been from a different planet.  Everything about it was so advanced - the way it launched, the way it jumped, the way it landed, and even the way it sounded.  I was totally blown away as a 7 year old, it was just awesome. 

I'd always wanted to do an RC version and just never got around to it.  While this truck os nowhere near an exact replica (there are much more realistic RC versions out there), it's got the look I was after and that's all that matters.  This is as close to a shelf queen as I'll ever build since it wasn't built with bashing or racing in mind, just wanted a truck that looked similar to Bigfoot 8, that's all. 

It's a pretty basic SMT10 with the only modifications being a short wheelbase link set and RH Designs sway bars.  Shocks were relocated to the axles for a more scale look and built with 12mm spacers, 4-hole pistons, 20wt oil, and 1.2lb springs.  They actually work pretty well for axle-mounted SMT shocks, these are really designed to be mounted on the links and the chassis of the SMT10 is so light you really need to have a soft shock for it to work on the axle.  Power comes from a 3660 3800kv unit and it actually goes pretty good.  

Body is a JConcepts 89 Ford with JB Scale Graphics decals.  Their decals are really nice quality, if you're looking to do a Bigfoot truck I highly recommend them.  Wheels are Tributes and tires are Golden Years with Crawler Innovations foams.   

Truck ended up being a better performer than I thought, I was actually pretty surprised.  I would never build a race truck with the big Golden Years tires and axle-mounted shocks but I really like how the truck works.  So much that I might bring it to the next race just to see how she does.  

That's about it.  Last couple pictures are with its brother the TXT-2 Bigfoot 11.  Very cool 90s pair they are. 

4.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

• Like 7

With sponsor plates or without?   I'm torn because of course BF8 didn't have them, but I put them on every truck I build so I did it without even thinking.  Once I was done I couldn't tell if I wanted to keep them on or not.  

2.JPG

3.JPG

• Like 2

****, i shoud had have bought that Body for my Bigfoot look a like.

I have the right body with the left stickers on it ^^

2 hours ago, whahooo said:

****, i shoud had have bought that Body for my Bigfoot look a like.

I have the right body with the left stickers on it ^^

Bigfoot ran the racer stripes on the 93 body as well for Bigfoot 9 & 10, so yours is a replica of those!  

9 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

With sponsor plates or without? 

Great truck! Bigfoot 8 is probably my favorite truck. Only the Equalizer came close with its suspension but even it didn't seem to stand a chance. I guess if I was a stickler, I'd say without sponsor plates. BF8 was also front engine, though the exhaust did exit roughly where the header zoomies protrude. IIRC BF9 didn't use cantilevers up front and I think BF8 later adopted the same setup. At any rate the truck looks killer sponsor plates or not.

52 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Great truck! Bigfoot 8 is probably my favorite truck. Only the Equalizer came close with its suspension but even it didn't seem to stand a chance. I guess if I was a stickler, I'd say without sponsor plates. BF8 was also front engine, though the exhaust did exit roughly where the header zoomies protrude. IIRC BF9 didn't use cantilevers up front and I think BF8 later adopted the same setup. At any rate the truck looks killer sponsor plates or not.

Thanks!  Definitley one of my favorites, the truck was unbelievable when it appeared on the scene.  They had a lot of issues with it at first if I remember correctly.  The suspension was almost too soft and the rear would bottom out often and the sway bars would break quite often causing the truck to lean badly.  You are correct about 9 as far as ditching the front cantilever setup, and 10 used axle mounted shocks on all 4 corners I believe.  They just restored (or built new, not sure) Bigfoot 8 and I think its running axle mounted shocks on all corners.  It's funny, the same guys built it that built the original but it just doesn't look the same.  Not sure if it's the color, the Firestone tires, or something elese entirely but it just doesn't capture the same look that the original had.  

Yea, 8 was front engined and I debated just leaving the stock Axial headers off but thought they looked good enough and the truck isn't exactly a replica so doesn't bother me too much.  I may end up taking the plates off, I'll stare at it a bit more and make a decision.

You're right about Equalizer, that truck was fantastic back in 89-90.  Not as advanced as 8 (I think it used coilovers on all 4 corners), but it was a great truck and that kid could drive - Greg Holbrook I think?  

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

and that kid could drive - Greg Holbrook I think?

Yes. I think Morris and Cook drove before at times but it was Holbrook I remember most behind the wheel. Sticks in my mind he was only 19 or so at the time.

PS: Just looked up that BF8 resto. and you're right. Something is definitely "off" about it.

30 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Yes. I think Morris and Cook drove before at times but it was Holbrook I remember most behind the wheel. Sticks in my mind he was only 19 or so at the time.

PS: Just looked up that BF8 resto. and you're right. Something is definitely "off" about it.

Yea, he was very young and soft spoken.  I rewatch some of the old TNT/USHRA on YouTube at times and he was pretty impressive especially for his age, very consitent and fast. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about the restored 8, something's just not right.  Very cool that they did it of course but doesn't have the same presence as the original.  I know they're also restoring 4 at the moment, that should be pretty cool.  I saw a video from the shop making the new body and it looks pretty good.  I think it will be the last iteration of 4 as a leafer race truck which was one of my other favorites.