Busdriver

Capra v Element Enduro Gatekeeper

I am looking for something different to build. I want it to be off-road but not necessarily a crawlers. I have some really great areas for bashing an off-roader Icelandic style so thought of the above as both are available as builders kits. I really want to build them rather than RTR. Does anybody have any experience of either. I was considering 3500kv brushless power for a little bit of oomph on 2s/3s? Any comments or experience would be appreciated 

Personally I have the Enduro Trailrunner, I really like the IFS front suspension, it's a good all around runner, trails, some crawling, bashing, etc. I'm still running the stock motor though. I can see the gatekeeper being a nice rig as well, I just haven't had one yet myself.

spacer.png

Capra and Gatekeeper are quite different, Capra is somewhat larger and has portal axles and dig which make it a very capable dedicated crawler.

Gatekeeper is basically the same as the Enduro trucks except for a heavy frame body and slightly different approach to the rear suspension.

I would definitely get the Capra is you want a frame-bodied crawler. I'd get any of the Enduro trucks instead the Gatekeeper, its a bit of a misfire.

Neither are suited for speed. If you want to do that the Axial Ryft is made for that but is larger again.

I built an Element over Christmas but lost interest & still haven’t gotten around to painting it. It handled the office terrain fine tho :lol:

F0491872-6F44-4C88-99F4-EA449BC91BEA.thumb.jpeg.1f3b90028bac7664fafaf831de1cb3d0.jpeg

2C63006A-0BC0-4E0A-BC2A-15E879DA6939.thumb.jpeg.048dc023e29b3281f66fbde393b44d8f.jpeg

Hi Bus' - if you're looking for something different, and fundamentally something to build - then I'd consider getting the main Capra cage/chassis set (they are $30, plus you need the skid plate section for another $12 - although depending on the transmission you intend to use, there are aftermarket/aluminium options too), and then build it up with pretty much any axles/links/shocks and transmission you fancy?

i-FFFqFkW-XL.jpg

This is what I did (using RC4WD K44 narrow axles and 1.9 wheels/tyres), and there is more info in my Capra-Cornholio thread in the builds section... I'd say it's an excellent and affordable platform - although how much extra you end up spending can vary considerably of course - you can even make a 4WS version should you wish...

for info. I've got a standard Axial 3-gear transmission in this with a 13T 5-slot motor, and with a 2S lipo battery it's a rocket when you want it to be - but still crawls too!

Something to consider?

Jenny x

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input. I have one other option that I’m considering and that is a TRX4 sport kit with additional 2 speed transmission and a pokey brushless combo. Sort of Rally/Raid truck. Maybe Red Bull or Camel colours???

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Thanks for the input. I have one other option that I’m considering and that is a TRX4 sport kit with additional 2 speed transmission and a pokey brushless combo. Sort of Rally/Raid truck. Maybe Red Bull or Camel colours???

the gmade builders kits are pretty good. think you can even get a 2 speed option.

Gmade GS02 TS 1/10 4WD Ultimate Trail Truck Chassis Kit (rcmart.com)