GTodd

What’s the most difficult body that you have painted

I restored a King Cab about 2 years ago for my son. I’ve since added rere Avante Ball Bearing Steering and rere hicaps. I’ve been avoiding painting it like the Rona. Well I’ve had the repel body and decals for about a year, decided it was time to try and paint it, I failed. After near ten hours  of masking and painting this is the result, don’t mind the decals. I’ll post the end result latter. Thank God this is a cheap knock off body.

share your successes and failures! This should be a fun one!

FCE009B8-F957-4ED6-A5BB-677D9E11528D.jpeg

• Like 5

This took a fair while to mask up

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/tcimages/169/generated/img169_02042006182757_3_1100_.jpg

This one was a pig as the paint was semi-transparent so there's around 300 coats :D

img169_362017113400_7.jpg

On this one, the second coat started to affect the first coat (rattle cans initially), so ended up rubbing a lot of it down and top-coating it with Tamiya acrylics through an airbrush

img169_614201695658_5.jpg

• Like 10

The hard abs bodies are a lot of work, so pretty much any Tamiya ABS body is going to be a labor of love.  I don't wanna know how many hours it took to do my BRAT.

Lexan presents different challenges.  I have a love hat relationship with Lexan bodies.  I hate masking.  I wish the Tamiya kits all came with paint masks even for the box art parts.  But I realize that would increase costs.

I find it's just practice to get better at it.  I won't be painting my WW2 figure.   hehe.

• Like 1

Box art Sand Scorcher.

Theres too many scalloped shapes on the bonnet and boot lid to not get bleeds on the blue. Spent about a month on prep, masking and spraying on mine then sold it as it wasnt quite as perfect as i wanted it to be.

And anything yellow. Because yellow paints are *******.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

+1 to that! 

• Like 1

Most time consuming to make and paint was Billy’s ClubBug.. Sand Scorcher was next.. 

IMG_Nov72021at70223AM.jpg.915a6c453bf398fc61c6402f6cd07591.jpg

IMG_Nov302021at81353PM.jpg.aa4bf4d4cfa1c8a38c60928e18f686a3.jpg

IMG_2022-2-19-101805.jpg.145652cce0907e829fc5c8d3ba6861bb.jpg

• Like 13

Got this Porsche GT2 body without any masks or stickers and decided to do as much as possible with spray & manual masking. With the exception of the fine black panel lines, everything is spray painted from the inside, including the window frames. Learned a whole bag of tricks in the process.

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

Stress-relieving masks around curves using a knife and then covering the cuts with liquid-tape (or blutack) helps tremendously to avoid bleeding on tricky sections.

• Like 21

I have a new King Cab Body, who wants to Paint it for me?

I begin to sweat If i think of painting it 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, whahooo said:

I have a new King Cab Body, who wants to Paint it for me?

I begin to sweat If i think of painting it 

I feel your pain. I have a Sand Scorcher I got last year. I am determined to (attempt) to paint it but keep putting it off. Every time I had an excuse (didnt have the right stuff) but now I have all of it. Should've taken @Re-Bugged offer to paint it....but I really want to do it. I can always buy a new bodyset...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

+1 to that! 

+ another one

For me it was probably this Audi.

A lot of colors plus the ragged edges made the masking unpleasant and time consuming. In between I had to take a break from making this body for a week or so.

118f7199-0e84-45f9-bzwj9k.jpeg

Very happy with the outcome nonetheless:

f9f40245-9ae2-4535-ajojv6.jpeg

717b60a3-25a9-41ff-aawku1.jpeg

• Like 18

My first airbrushed body done a couple of months ago. Patience is my greatest enemy

IMG-8749.jpg

IMG-8742.jpg

IMG-8752.jpg

Plenty of mistakes. This is a body for a 1/8 electric GT. Just did another one for my Nitro GT

• Like 7

3 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

A lot of colors plus the ragged edges made the masking unpleasant and time consuming. In between I had to take a break from making this body for a week or so.

Looks brilliant with the stickers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

118f7199-0e84-45f9-bzwj9k.jpeg

717b60a3-25a9-41ff-aawku1.jpeg

Well worth all that effort 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Buggyra Fat Fox was kind of a pain to paint and assemble the body. The decals took longer to do than everything else put together though!  :Pspacer.png

• Like 7

This took a few days...

MyKpv9p.jpg

bC14s3q.jpg

• Like 7

This thing....it should be easy... it was a b*stard...because the repro-decals didn't match the paint colours, so loads of this ended up being done in paint, not stickers. 

Then every_remaining_sticker is i) huge ii) impossible to position right and iii) looks terrible if just slightly out of position. 

IMG_3130.jpeg

• Like 4

Also this

I theory it's just white and smoke

But I decided to do the window trim and stripes...in paint 

Pro-tip. Do not attempt this. 

IMG_2777.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Superluminal said:

It's ok with black, it's getting the masking symmetrical that always tests my patience

img169_08012005160450_1.jpg

img169_21032008223724_3.jpg

img169_04082007154803_1.jpg

img169_16022008225524_5.jpg

• Like 10

This Alfa Giulia

spacer.png

I believe the front section of the bonnet is notoriously hard to get paint into whatever you do, so trying to get clean lines between different colours was ambitious / foolish. The masking job inside the shell was hugely swear-provoking 😂

It’s not perfect, but it’s good enough. I took on something challenging and learned a few lessons along the way, and I’ve got another clean shell where I might apply those lessons and try and do a better job. One day. Maybe.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I feel your pain. I have a Sand Scorcher I got last year. I am determined to (attempt) to paint it but keep putting it off. Every time I had an excuse (didnt have the right stuff) but now I have all of it. Should've taken @Re-Bugged offer to paint it....but I really want to do it. I can always buy a new bodyset...

Still????? 😲

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

It's ok with black, it's getting the masking symmetrical that always tests my patience

img169_08012005160450_1.jpg

Is that a Tamiya PS yellow or a different brand? I’m looking for a flat yellow finish like that for a 911 RSR but haven’t figured it out yet 🧐

Suspect @Truck Norris may have a well informed view ?

Beyond my talent but the hardest / longest commission I funded was a box art Porsche 959

Stunning by the end but a labour of love for the artist persevering 😂

I thought I'd done well, until I've seen some on here.....😳🤣

First time trying to blend and fade multiple colours with a airbrush 😬

2021-06-28_05-35-05 2021-06-28_05-35-16

A close 2nd, is the 'Maduke' Charger body I painted with rattle tins..( no decals)

2018-07-21_02-08-34

• Like 8

13 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Got this Porsche GT2 body without any masks or stickers and decided to do as much as possible with spray & manual masking. With the exception of the fine black panel lines, everything is spray painted from the inside, including the window frames. Learned a whole bag of tricks in the process.

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

Stress-relieving masks around curves using a knife and then covering the cuts with liquid-tape (or blutack) helps tremendously to avoid bleeding on tricky sections.

Great job on this one mate, beautiful result 😎

• Like 1