GTodd

What’s the most difficult body that you have painted

I had a hard time with my Terra Scorcher body shell for the same reason other people mentioned above: I decided to paint the window trims and other small details, instead of using stickers.

I'm happy with the result but man, the swearing, huffing and puffing it took... will likely not do that again 😅

Screenshot-20220508-142429-Gallery.jpg

• Like 8

I'm just enjoying looking at all these brilliant paint jobs! Superb!. I've done quite a few paint schemes that have been challenging but the one that sticks in my mind was the first time I painted my first sand scorcher re-re and decided to do it the red/yellow scheme as opposed to the blue/white and it took me an age and a lot of concentration to figure out what needed masking at what particular time in process? (remember this was my first time doing this type of painting) I finished it and it wasn't perfect but it was very good for my first go! then I painted an after market cockpit containing driver figure and co pilot reading a map again it was pretty cool looking! As I sat back after many hours of time and effort admiring my masterpiece my wife casually walked past and said "oh that looks good is it noddy's car!:wacko::angry:!!!......from that day on I couldn't get that thought out of my head!........noddy's car really<_<????

IMG_20171106_104401.jpg

IMG_20171106_104425.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

On 5/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, Ferruz said:

I had a hard time with my Terra Scorcher body shell for the same reason other people mentioned above: I decided to paint the window trims and other small details, instead of using stickers.

I'm happy with the result but man, the swearing, huffing and puffing it took... will likely not do that again 😅

Screenshot-20220508-142429-Gallery.jpg

This is one of the beautiest blue in my eyes.

My second paint job in my life. First was with 12yo and looked like made by a 12yo (rear painted outside lexan body, then I realized and continued inside LOL)

mid_ds_088.jpg

What I am so curious is the complexity of maskind on different layers. Soon I want to paint two or three shells in more complex 90s design. Hope I can learn some here on this tread.

• Like 4

The most challenging and least rewarding for me is the alternative boxart sand scorcher variation I did on my sand rover.

20201125_194642.jpg

The one that took me by surprise was this pick-up body I resprayed. It looked like this to begin with: 20220129_212833.jpg

I changed it to this lime green to have a go at postal racing. As I saw the green was all bubbly as it reacted with the original paint I sanded and primed it and then restarted with the lime green. The decals took a surprising amount of my time also, cutting them out and applyingthem took me way longer than expected (similar to painting it) 20220209_205448.jpg20220209_205501.jpg

All of this because I don't dare to start on this body yet: 

20220209_210159.jpg

I also managed to ***** this one up completely 20220412_104211.jpg

In the beginning it seemed okay but after a few runs this happened:20220413_091502.jpg

And then this: 20220412_181853.jpg

I sprayed Molotow paint from the inside first and PS-55 flat clear on the outside afterwards. I had to spray the PS-55 on the inside first so the Molotow had something to bind to and then another coat of PS-55 on the outside afterwards to get the mat effect. I'm in the process of redoing it now but it's a pain to mask and redo because of all the lights (indicators hotglued etc...) and extra's as roof rack, snorkel and tarp bars...

• Like 6

Here's my take on "Toys they're not", the "Hard to paint" edition :D (all three actual cars here painted by me)

The 959 is the most difficult - lots of tricky masking and painting both on the inside and outside. Recesses, curves, wafer thin Lexan in places, specified colour codes that don't exist any more so you have to interpret those for modern paints. The Celica Gr. B isn't much easier.

The King cab is a bit simpler but still very time consuming with all the masking. Both are £400 odd bodies if you do something wrong that's irreversible.

The Scorcher has tricky masking too, especially the bonnet recesses (don't look too closely at this one). On the upside it's only £20 if you ruin it.

toys-not-king-cab-scorcher-959-1200.thumb.jpg.ec82cd568c6f337cd6dbb740b2385bbd.jpg

• Like 11

Well tbf I've only painted one polycarbonate shell so far, and it was in just one colour mainly, but it went pretty well so was happy enough with it in the end. The Team Azarashi window masks where shocking though, so had to make my own:rolleyes:

TDIyAzl.jpeg

oy8vwYn.jpeg

ZnhUn1M.jpeg

TWKl3nl.jpeg

GbafYqn.jpeg

y3Fi7Ri.jpeg

4Lq1KeA.jpeg

Got a few more shells lined up now, so plan to be more experimental next time around:)

• Like 4

While the Beetles was mainly about having patience for me, this CityTurbo (Willy's Wheeler) body was a very real big pain as the window trims and all the black bits and decor I painted freehand as I did not have the Tamiya masking tape for curves at this point..  and not to sound like a crybaby, but my vision is not good.. :wacko:

IMG_Jun42021at110953AM.jpg.6201c5a58cbb6bf5694df65f41d8c9c7.jpg

I mean at the end it was all worth the trouble, but I put my heart and soul into the trims.. I nearly died.  lol

Using technology, this was A LOT easier..

IMG_Dec42021at61458PM.jpg.d5c3fd3f92691cf4f34d068f2b09fbcb.jpg

IMG_Dec42021at61444PM.jpg.f6fa2d8325c5df5f9c7d4b9e7ec7f6e0.jpg

• Like 5

my  blue, silver, red, purple (all metallic variety) Manta with a touch of anodized champagne gold on the spoiler. blacked out the main window.

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

While the Beetles was mainly about having patience for me, this CityTurbo (Willy's Wheeler) body was a very real big pain as the window trims and all the black bits and decor I painted freehand as I did not have the Tamiya masking tape for curves at this point..  and not to sound like a crybaby, but my vision is not good.. :wacko:

IMG_Jun42021at110953AM.jpg.6201c5a58cbb6bf5694df65f41d8c9c7.jpg

I mean at the end it was all worth the trouble, but I put my heart and soul into the trims.. I nearly died.  lol

Using technology, this was A LOT easier..

IMG_Dec42021at61458PM.jpg.d5c3fd3f92691cf4f34d068f2b09fbcb.jpg

IMG_Dec42021at61444PM.jpg.f6fa2d8325c5df5f9c7d4b9e7ec7f6e0.jpg

That look sooooo good:wub: I missed the release of the Honda city turbo (Willy's wheeler) it was released when I was in the centre of massive house renovations so for about a year everything was in storage and my rc was firmly in the back burner then when normality resumed it wasn't available and I don't pay inflated prices! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I keep coming back to this one as my favourite paint job I've done - but it's also probably the most difficult:

rc103 rc104

Keeping those masking lines symmetric and clean with no bleeds and getting the fades right definitely caused a few (more) grey hairs.

Close second is this one:

IMG_1568 IMG_1569

This was also masked by hand just working from a couple of photos. The darker blue pinstripe all around the lighter blue panels was especially fun.

• Like 13

19 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Is that a Tamiya PS yellow or a different brand? I’m looking for a flat yellow finish like that for a 911 RSR but haven’t figured it out yet 🧐

Yes,  PS-6  backed with white

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, moffman said:

That look sooooo good:wub: I missed the release of the Honda city turbo (Willy's wheeler) it was released when I was in the centre of massive house renovations so for about a year everything was in storage and my rc was firmly in the back burner then when normality resumed it wasn't available and I don't pay inflated prices! 

Thanks!

If you're up for it, I believe @nicherotors is getting his design completed soon for his 4WD City Turbo.. Besides the 3D printed parts, I think you'll need to gather the rere City body, wheels, tires, and a GF01.. from the pictures he has posted (and prior experience with his SWB WW2 in my profile page) I have high expectations that it is going to be awesome.  

As I love comical cars Willy and Billy can drive, I am definitely waiting to get my hands on one.  :D 

This was one of the most difficult bodies that I have produced. All of the graphics were custom made.  Car actually went to the driver of the 1:1 car, Lonnie Pechnik.  Made a second one for the team owner, Seth Neiman. 

100_0397.JPG

100_0404.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This was another one that really challenged me.  I wanted to make my own realistic-looking carbon fiber, so if you look closely at the hood and trunk, the "carbon fiber" is all paint, not a decal.  It was a lot of work to not only produce the paint masks but also keep the orientation, even through the hood and rear spoiler. 

100_0330.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Def my 787b. Bit of a long process rather than anything difficult. But it's worth it once all the decals are added. 

g7bW5ZT.jpeg

James.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Def my 787b. Bit of a long process rather than anything difficult. But it's worth it once all the decals are added. 

g7bW5ZT.jpeg

James.

Ah man, I can see that those dotted line stickers don't cover all the paint lines, so they had to be spot on I'm guessing.

Also, you look well young in that photo mate, I think you take the award for youngest forum member;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

My TL-01 Stadium Raider body. Fifth paint job of my life- f*cked up so badly that I wanted to dig my nails into the paint and start from scratch

Don't beat yourself up mate, you learnt a badword of a lot on this one, as did some of the rest of us, myself included, by being able to learn from your shared experience:)

My most difficult body was the recently finished M-chassis Lancia Delta. Not the painting, that was easy enough but the stickers were time consuming and difficult. The stickers are scaled down by MCI but are not specific for this body. So I made a paper scan and cut out the Martini stripes to test fit on the body. The cutting was an endless process. But I like the result.

Delta stickers (2).jpg

Delta klein.jpg

• Like 4

My Manta Ray paint job proved to be quite challenging, being also my first go at something more complex and custom made. Learned a few on this one

Screenshot-20220509-210232-Gallery.jpg

• Like 5

A SS box art(ish) is harder on the inside of a Lexan shell @Jonathon Gillham 😉

9E5F393E-5AE7-46E3-A228-F1B8E1109D3E.jpg

Getting ones fingers inside of a skinny 2CV manipulating the tape was a challenge to say the least.

I seem to have added some degree of difficulty to a lot of my none box art paint job cars to test myself so it’s hard to pin point the most difficult, but for what it is, trying to mask the Silver Rollcage and Black sections on the back of a Stadium Blitzer shell with have you swearing in languages you never thought you knew!!

• Like 11

I wouldn't normally post an unfinished project (wing was damaged so I have to make another and I haven't completed the cockpit), but this was another challenging livery that I decided to tackle.  

20220509_191223.jpg

20220509_191237.jpg

• Like 8

The 959 with the blue, gold, red, white and black all painted was a right pain looking back at it.

The Saint Dragon also took a long time but it was a very satisfying having it all painted rather than decals and its lasted really well.

20201022_174521.jpg

20190613_190318.jpg

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Getting ones fingers inside of a skinny 2CV manipulating the tape was a challenge to say the least.

I seem to have added some degree of difficulty to a lot of my none box art paint job cars to test myself so it’s hard to pin point the most difficult, but for what it is, trying to mask the Silver Rollcage and Black sections on the back of a Stadium Blitzer shell with have you swearing in languages you never thought you knew!!

Master Re-bugged speaks! :D   Beautiful work!  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

show off 😋

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Xeostar said:

20190613_190318.jpg

I did one of these with stickers, and I thought at the time that doing it in paint would be an order of magnitude easier as the stickers are absolutely swines to line up and convince to stay down.