rwordenjr

5400kv combo help

anyone here run a 5400kv combo successfully with your car or truck still being controllable at full throttle? got a 5400kv hobbywing combo in a kyosho optima and even on nimh, when i go full throttle its uncontrollable. it wants to wheelie on a 4wd drive car! ive got a 25t pinion installed for a gear ratio of 9.24.

Well, you're running one of the most powerful 1/10th scale brushless motors you can buy. What did you expect??? :lol:

• Like 2

Have you tried a smaller pinion and setting the starting punch to the minimum? I "only" have 4600kv maximum so don't have any first hand experience with 5400kv motor power. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 10:23 AM, rwordenjr said:

anyone here run a 5400kv combo successfully with your car or truck still being controllable at full throttle? ...

ive got a 25t pinion installed for a gear ratio of 9.24.

Have run Novak Velociti 3.5 (10500kV) and 5.5 (7600kV) in tourers before. But yeah don’t expect to be pegging full throttle for long periods. 

9.2:1 is pretty high rollout for buggy tyres, how hot is the motor getting? That’s like stock motor gearing, I’d be gearing a hot mod a lot lower. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Have run Novak Velociti 3.5 (10500kV) and 5.5 (7600kV) in tourers before. But yeah don’t expect to be pegging full throttle for long periods. 

9.2:1 is pretty high rollout for buggy tyres, how hot is the motor getting? That’s like stock motor gearing, I’d be gearing a hot mod a lot lower. 

I haven’t run for longer than 5 min because it rolled over and crashed bad the first time I went full throttle. But what ratio you think I should shoot for ? 7 range ? 

This is where slippers shine.

I needed to fit a triple plate modern schumacher slipper ,to my Optima mid when I went to 3800kv /3s and now a 5.5t (7700kv ish) on 2s. 

It won't reach for the moon, and is great in a straight line, but I still need to tip toe around the corners, compared to modern machinery. 

A larger pinion takes the bite out a bit, as does dropping the punch. If its a re release optima, then maybe a softer sping on the slipper, or different pads may help. Also altering set up, ie springs and oil weights (I found stiffer oil/springs on the rear tended to lift the nose more)

I ran a Castle 5700kv / 3s in a Dark Impact for years, but needed to be fairly modified ,for it to take the power, diff mods, slipper mods and Schumacher big bore shocks etc.

At the end of the day, it's a powerful motor, so you'll need to learn how to drive it, same as whacking a superbike on full throttle and expecting it to be a nice gentle kitten.