Sign in to follow this  
morrisey0

Triple FX10 Builds

I hope it is okay to put FX10s here; although they aren't part of the "original 150 Tamiyas."

An FX10 was my first grade RC, just after breaking a Nikko Dictator II and returning it.  Parents bought it for me one night, and I skipped school the next day to build it.  Had way too much fun with that car.  Then I think I bought an RC10 off a buddy cheap, and the FX10 just went away.

Well, 35ish years later, and I found myself collecting FX10s, mostly in poor shape and super cheap.  I didn't realize that I had actually picked up so many.  I would just buy one, throw it in the FX10 tub, and forget about it.  The original plan was to build a shelf queen, and a runner.  But after seeing how many parts I had, I decided to add a third, a MT conversion.  After breaking down, did the usual hydrating of plastics, and lots of cleaning.  Even my "unused" chassis had some oranging going on, so bit of sanding and whitening took place to get it straight.  I decided to do a bit of filling and painting on the other chassis, instead of trying to sand them down.

FX10S 1.jpg

FX10S 3.jpg

FX10S 7.JPG

FX10S 10.jpg

• Like 3

So, the shelfie was up first.  The plan was to do them all at the same time, but the gathering of parts didn't allow that to happen exactly.  This one is 90%+ new, so not much work; just build it.

FX101 A.JPG

FX101 B.JPG

FX101 C.JPG

FX101 E.jpg

FX101 F.JPG

FX101 G.JPG

FX101 H.JPG

• Like 5

Very nice! FX10 was also my first, and I've got a beautiful rebuild/restomod on the shelf as well.

Now I know who's snatching up all the FX10 rollers!! :) 

• Haha 1

The second one was going to be a "runner," but I don't know how much it is actually going to get run.  This one kinda got the "third best" parts from the stack.  Modern / cheap electronics, and Team CRP front end.  Turned out better than expected.

FX102 A.JPG

FX102 D.JPG

FX102 F.JPG

• Like 3

Then the third one, which outside of the nostalgia of the white one, I actually like the best.  I remember when I was young that I thought buggy / MT conversions just looked so stupid, but today, it just brings back the memories of those times.  This is a Team CRP MT kit.  Had to go retro with the decals, which are just cut vinyl.

FXMT 1.jpg

FXMT 4.jpg

FXMT 5.jpg

FXMT 6.jpg

FXMT 7.jpg

FXMT 8.jpg

FXMT 9.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, morrisey0 said:

I hope it is okay to put FX10s here; although they aren't part of the "original 150 Tamiyas."

I think they are close enough to the Tamiya Striker that even the purest of purists wouldn't mind ;) I sure don't! I love my Striker, and find the FX10s to be quite neat.

Besides, with a good-looking collection of them, you won't have a thing to worry about!

• Like 1

Lovely cars, all three are fantastic.

I am lucky enough to have a nice  Sonic Fighter, but am always on the hunt for a FX10 or Striker to run, you have so many spares, I am jealous,

• Like 1

so are the green and black chassis painted or molded in color?  were there some special editions at all?

8 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

so are the green and black chassis painted or molded in color?  were there some special editions at all?

The green and black chassis are painted.  Park Green (available in Tamiya TS and PS), and standard black.  I actually liked the Park Green so much I picked up a couple of cans today for another project.

• Like 1

Very tasty . I like the FX10 best out of the Striker / Sonic / FX10 stable . Always nice to see a vintage new build too