Pellar

XV-01 brushless recommendation

Hi. Would like to convert my XV-01 to brushless. Are ther any recommandtions on brushless combo? Would like a hobbywing system. 

Personally I would go for something that equates to13.5t sensored. Not sure what that equates to in KV?

• Like 2

I would say a 5500-6000kv would be good. As least you can always gear it down to have less top speed if it's too fast. My very old Novak SS5800 was 5800kv and was great in my F201 and my TA03, fast but not crazy or uncontrollably so.

I think my 4.5t vampire racing motor is rated around 9600kv or something silly like that and it's a handful unless my ESC punch is set very low.

James.

13.5t or equivalent seems to be the general consensus with the XV01, I ran a Hobbywing 13.5 setup in mine on 2s, ran quite well. 

• Like 3

I've got one to build and was thinking I'd start with 17.5t brushless sensored and also 13.5. But @InsaneJim69's comment above has me all excited about sticking something bonkers into it now...

I would add that a 13.5t would allow you to keep the kit spur and pinion as the gearing would remain adequate. A 17.5t would require re-gearing the car taller (using 48p or 64p spur/pinion to get the right tooth count).

This as a general recommendation as I sadly don't own an XV-01 yet :)

• Like 2

I couldn't be happier with the 13.5 in mine. It's been in there since I built it, and I've never even considered changing it. FDR in the 6:1 range is just right for me.

• Like 1

I have a sensored 13.5 bluebottle in my Asterion/Delta and it’s a perfect setup. You could go for bonkers power but I think it would upset the balance of the driving experience. Mine is just a delight to drive and apart from my Losi Raptor is the most realistic rc car in terms of handling etc 

13.5T is definitely too low to really take advantage of going brushless in the XV-01.

I run a sensored 9.5T which is 4120KV on stock gearing, and was I to do it again, I'd probably look into 8.5T or 7.5T. 5500 KV might be on the tall side, I'd shoot for 4800-5000KV. The XV-01 can take a lot of power from an actual handling standpoint.

Unless people own an XV-01, it's just assumptions.

10 minutes ago, DK308 said:

13.5T is definitely too low to really take advantage of going brushless in the XV-01.

I run a sensored 9.5T which is 4120KV on stock gearing, and was I to do it again, I'd probably look into 8.5T or 7.5T. 5500 KV might be on the tall side, I'd shoot for 4800-5000KV. The XV-01 can take a lot of power from an actual handling standpoint.

Unless people own an XV-01, it's just assumptions.

All depends on the motor and ESC too. As different manufacturers have different ratings etc. I have a turnigy 10.5T setup spare in a box somewhere and it's rated at 5200kv. Yet I have a cheapo (off eBay) 13.5T in my son's truck and it's a measly 2500kv.

James.

17 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

All depends on the motor and ESC too. As different manufacturers have different ratings etc. I have a turnigy 10.5T setup spare in a box somewhere and it's rated at 5200kv. Yet I have a cheapo (off eBay) 13.5T in my son's truck and it's a measly 2500kv.

James.

In my experience the most expensive and best 13.5T motors are in the 3400-3600KV range. That's too low. 5200KV seems high for a 10.5T. It might read that on the tin, but I doubt it will do it. Semantics...

At any rate, I'd go for anything above 4800KV based on my ownership experience with the XV-01 on various setups.

Indeed, thats why in my original post I suggested a 5800kv or there abouts as if it's too fast you have the option to gear it down to reduce the top speed.

James.

Currently I'm running a 21.5t BL in mine. Turbo and boost activated and very much happy how it performs and very realistic in terms of speed scale.. Will get a 17.5t and will try that too. Because the 17.5 in my FF is pretty fast also with turbo and boost activated.