Grumpy pants

Budget Buggy Advice

8 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

The hunt is on, well after my holiday anyway 😂

For me, I am suspending all my models purchase until October when I head off on holiday to the far east, where Tamiya (and other RC) are plentiful and hopefully cheap. 

• Like 2

Inspired by this thread I bought a ThunderDragoncy Dragon just now. They are so cheap, so there is no reason to thrash the Tomahawk around in the snow during winter. 

Even though I know that the end solution is to buy a Turbo Optima :P.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Options then are -

DF02

DF03

Manta Ray

Terra Scorcher

TT02B 

I would need to get lucky to pick up TS with my budget and I need to careful not to buy a project that becomes a money pit.

The hunt is on, well after my holiday anyway 😂

I know the Terra Scorcher has everything already, but the others in the range are so mich cheaper. You could probably get a Fire Dragon, Thunder Dragon etc for the same as a TT02B?

Enjoy the holiday, and hopefully you enjoy the hunt too. Everything seems hard to find right now but I've picked up 3 new kits from shops this year at good prices so bargains are still around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well having watched the eBay listing over the last 3-4 weeks it looks like it’ll be a DF03 or a TT02B for my money.

Plenty of Dark Impacts have come and gone around circa £85 and a couple TT02 cars recently at £65- £70. 

I think I prefer the DI on looks a little but I like the fact the TT02 is a more modern chassis. 

A Terra Scorcher is probably 1st choice or maybe a Manta Ray but I don’t want a vintage money pit 😂

Hi mate

are you looking for new or used buggies?

have a few used buggies for sale at the minute

23 minutes ago, Robbo29 said:

Hi mate

are you looking for new or used buggies?

have a few used buggies for sale at the minute

Used buggies. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

Used buggies. 

Got a d02 listed, I know you have a hornet 😂

just sorting a tt02b from a joblot, a plasma edge

37 minutes ago, Robbo29 said:

Got a d02 listed, I know you have a hornet 😂

just sorting a tt02b from a joblot, a plasma edge

Thanks Robbo.

4WD is where I’m at, so the TT02B is more of interest. 

8 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

Thanks Robbo.

4WD is where I’m at, so the TT02B is more of interest. 

Okay mate, let me get it sorted and I’ll get a picture over. (Need to try work out how to compress so I can post on here) 👍

Still struggling with the pic size limit, if you’re still interested I will have another go after work 👍

On 6/11/2022 at 11:34 AM, Grumpy pants said:

Well having watched the eBay listing over the last 3-4 weeks it looks like it’ll be a DF03 or a TT02B for my money.

Plenty of Dark Impacts have come and gone around circa £85 and a couple TT02 cars recently at £65- £70. 

I think I prefer the DI on looks a little but I like the fact the TT02 is a more modern chassis. 

A Terra Scorcher is probably 1st choice or maybe a Manta Ray but I don’t want a vintage money pit 

Did you pick up a buggy yet bud?

Just now, Kol__ said:

Did you pick up a buggy yet bud?

I missed a dirt cheap Plazma yesterday whilst at the track. 

I thinking either a Dark Impact or TT02B if I can pick up the right deal for our holiday next month. 

3 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

I missed a dirt cheap Plazma yesterday whilst at the track. 

I thinking either a Dark Impact or TT02B if I can pick up the right deal for our holiday next month. 

Oh yeah, I saw that one, it went for about £60 didn't it, crazy cheap! Looked like it had had a bit of a hard life though, so you may have dodged a bullet with that one!

Dark Impact is nice, but a bit fragile I believe, best price I've seen is £170 new on eBay. TT02B, don't know if it's more hardy than the DF-03, but I think it is, more basic of course though. My Neo Scorcher cost me £115 from Make it Build it, but that was ages ago and I think possibly in a sale.

If I see either of those pop up on the bay, I'll give you a nudge mate 👍 

1 hour ago, Kol__ said:

Oh yeah, I saw that one, it went for about £60 didn't it, crazy cheap! Looked like it had had a bit of a hard life though, so you may have dodged a bullet with that one!

Dark Impact is nice, but a bit fragile I believe, best price I've seen is £170 new on eBay. TT02B, don't know if it's more hardy than the DF-03, but I think it is, more basic of course though. My Neo Scorcher cost me £115 from Make it Build it, but that was ages ago and I think possibly in a sale.

If I see either of those pop up on the bay, I'll give you a nudge mate 👍 

The same guy sold a new built TT02B that sold for £50 + P&P.

Seen plenty of decent DI sell for £90 plus.

I might give it a miss if it’s a bit fragile though.

Failing ⬆️ I might pick up a cheap TT02 rally style car for us to tag around a Welsh rally stage 😉

• Like 1

Not quite relevant to what you are wanting @Grumpy pants but I got a Comical Grasshopper off ebay for £110 last week, cheaper than anywhere else, even with FH's TC members discount cannot beat that. It was listed as on sale/offer and true enough, after the weekend, it went back up to the "normal" price. So it maybe worthwhile to keep an eye out for such sales items. EBay's default sorting seems good and pushing them to the front of the results. 

It is perfect to cure my itch as it will be about 3 more months before I get my hands on my MTX-1, NSR500, DF-02 and GH2. 

• Thanks 1

Just scored a rere Fire Dragon, great condition with an ESC and a touch over £70 delivered. 

Modern Plastics

4WD

4 Shocks

Under Budget

Not in time for our holiday as we arrived in beautiful North Wales this afternoon. 

Tips for running it would be great please - just going to run it around our garden as the ‘honey do’ lists are getting shorter 😎

• Like 6

On 5/14/2022 at 8:38 PM, Grumpy pants said:

@Willy iine, that’s great feedback, thank you.

There have been some recent threads on TC about raising the ride height on the TT02 chassis for rally’s cars and I wondered if these modifications could be applied to the TT02B.

I’m pretty sure apart from CVA’s and longer arms the basic kit is the same - aside body style and wheels. 

Adding the FRP or carbon shock towers helps you get more ground clearance with more shock position options but adding the Df03/TT02b alloy dampers helps even more as they are waaaayyyy longer than the stock shocks, especially up front.  But those things together will seriously blow your budget. The TT02B does handle very well though. I think the DF01 (mray/tforce) is probably a slightly better off road car out of the box for general hooning. 

• Thanks 1

I just bought a decent Gravel Hound for £62 delivered this evening.

I’ll work out which buggy I like the most and sell 1 on. 

I’m still in Wales, South now 👍, working my way back down towards home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1st choice would have been a Top Force and then a Terra Scorcher, but I can’t bring myself to spend the money right now. 

A Manta Ray would have been a great option if a decent one turned up at the right price as well. 

• Like 2

Congrats on the double purchases in quick succession after all this time mate!👍😄

Quite different buggies I would say, although I've not owned the Fire Dragon style chassis yet myself. The DF-02 is probably a bit lower and more race focussed, as opposed to the higher ground clearance and more go everywhere vibe of the Fire Dragon, but that's just me surmising 🤷 Enjoy!!😎

The DF-01 is special, a real beaut, keep an eye out for one mate👍

• Thanks 1

Arrived home to this today - 

Rere Fire Dragon, servo, ESC, bearings, after market shocks and the kit CVA’s.

Small split to the rear corner of the shell, looks like one of the cheap, thin, prepainted shells similar to the red Toyota GF-01.

image.jpg

• Like 5

Well it’s been awhile 😳

Sold the Fire Dragon to @lupogtiboy - great looking buggy - fantastic deal but not quite right for me.

The Gravel Hound will go on eBay next time I’m off and there is a fee deal - kinda similar feeling to the FD tbh.

Sold the Wild One to another TC buddy @sansoora, now being used and enjoyed as it should be.

Just bought a Terra Scorcher and a CC02 from the legendary @taffer 

I know the FD & TS are basically the same thing, but I like blue and I just prefer the TS body shell 😎 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1