JezHall

TL-01 shock mount

Is there an easy fix or a replacement part for a broken front shock mount tower on a TL-01?

Its broken where the top screw bolts through. Strangely this is part of the chassis ?????

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks in advance

Any pics of the damage ? . If it is cracked ,you could try strong styrene glue and drill drough the screw hole and use a nut and bolt / washers and a sleeve instead of the self tapper step screw  . I would carry out the same process for the other upper damper mounts too to relieve stress

10 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

Any pics of the damage ? . If it is cracked ,you could try strong styrene glue and drill drough the screw hole and use a nut and bolt / washers and a sleeve instead of the self tapper step screw  . I would carry out the same process for the other upper damper mounts too to relieve stress

Not great pics but you can see where it snapped. 

The rear ones had hairline cracks....you can see where i drilled and cable tied them (after gluing)

Seems to be a weak spot so I wondered if a fix exists before i try to fabricate something from aluminium........?

IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_7616.jpg

IMG_7618.jpg

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7620.jpg

This is one of the flaws of the TL01 sadly. You can repair as above or replace the chassis halves - bit of a ball ache in rebuilding it but fortunately they are readily available and not too expensive.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

There are some 3D printed repair parts available,  like this for instance :-

https://upgradeparts.com/2020/07/17/tl01-replacement-front-shock-tower/

I would go with fabbing up my own alu plates across the front and back of the tower

That looks quite thick........I might try it with the aluminium. It might sit nicely behind the bumper screws?

• Like 2

Have a look at these diagrams.  For M03 / FF02, but the chassis are very similar, this will give you an idea of how you can make a brace to reinforce the shock towers.

https://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/tamiya/m03ff02.html

I have the parts above but have never tried them on a TL01.  If I get time later I'll see if they will fit (there is a discussion on here from over 10 years ago about making M03 tower braces fit a TL01 but the results are inconclusive).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a quick fix I used some plastic repair paste....it's not the best looking fix but at least it will get it running for now....

8E657929-3F37-4A29-9719-D6C333A7C187.jpeg

12 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Have a look at these diagrams.  For M03 / FF02, but the chassis are very similar, this will give you an idea of how you can make a brace to reinforce the shock towers.

https://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/cars/tamiya/m03ff02.html

I have the parts above but have never tried them on a TL01.  If I get time later I'll see if they will fit (there is a discussion on here from over 10 years ago about making M03 tower braces fit a TL01 but the results are inconclusive).

First 3 attempts............:wacko:

IMG_7632.jpeg

• Like 2

A common problem with the TL01 chassis. A brace is a good idea. ( Tip: Check the front tires as the thread seems tot point in the wrong direction.)

• Like 1

Coming along . When I make things from alu sheet I cover the area I want to cut out with masking tape , this helps to measure & draw the item and protects it when cutting / drilling / filing / using vice etc

• Like 1

15 hours ago, No Slack said:

A common problem with the TL01 chassis. A brace is a good idea. ( Tip: Check the front tires as the thread seems tot point in the wrong direction.)

15 hours ago, No Slack said:

Just noticed :mellow::mellow:

Thanks for that!

14 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Coming along . When I make things from alu sheet I cover the area I want to cut out with masking tape , this helps to measure & draw the item and protects it when cutting / drilling / filing / using vice etc

I will do for the final version. Still trying to get the holes aligned :wacko:

I was going to put a carbon fibre look wrap on it.....if i ever finish it!

10 hours ago, JezHall said:

Still trying to get the holes aligned :wacko:

That's why I use tape . I can measure & draw the whole item and plot the hole centres then centre punch the holes to get an acuate position before drilling