Raptor1410

Help on choosing new model

Hey to all.

I am wanting a new car, i have a firedragon fully upgraded with alloy and brushless and a blitzer beetle brushless. I use the dragon around my street and the blitzer in the local park but would like something bit stronger for the woods. I took the dragon and was getting stuck all the time being low and the beetle did much better but is not that strong and after 5 mins would always break something.

Could anyone help on good model to get for my needs. Happy to upgrade to brushless and hilly woods and a sand bowl where most take their cars to. Maybe a 4wd be better if such a thing. Thank you

GF01 could be an option. 4WD and big tires, so can go places a buggy can't. Very strong chassis with very few parts of break, and parts are cheap. Great cars, I've now got two.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

GF01 could be an option. 4WD and big tires, so can go places a buggy can't. Very strong chassis with very few parts of break, and parts are cheap. Great cars, I've now got two.

Thanks, but something bit more jumpy i had in mind. 

I love my CC02 for slow paced action in the woods and creek and hiking trails around my house.   The way it’s geared, you set it up to go crawler slow or buggy fast. 

• Like 1

Brushless, jumps, big wheels? Not Tamiya territory.

Arrma/Traxxas etc do very good business selling cars for that market:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raptor1410 said:

Thanks, but something bit more jumpy i had in mind. 

No worries, I recommend the GF01 for everything.

Need a crawler? GF01. Need a car for kids? GF01? Not sure what film to pick from Netflix? GFO1. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I'd agree with @sosidge, there's not much that Tamiya do that will excel at jumps and be sturdy among the woods.  The Arrma Granite is a great choice, being fast, tough and not too big.

If you want to stick with Tamiya, then a WR-01 wouldn't be a bad bet.  Not sure you can still get them new, but you can get a WT-01 and a second gearbox to make it 4wd.  It's punch enough with twin-motor power and fairly rugged as long as you don't blast into trees at full speed.  Various tuning options available such as 100mm shock conversion, a bit of putty in the rear diff to aid traction, WR-02 caster blocks up front and it's a fun, if basic, monster truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd have voted GF-01 as well, but WT-01 (with WR-01 upgrades as an option) seems a good fit, and probably better in the forest with 4WS and longer wheelbase. They're good and rugged if you come from the days of Nikko and Tandy (as I do). If you want to make the youtube highlight reels then I think Arrma is your way to go.

40 minutes ago, sosidge said:

Brushless, jumps, big wheels? Not Tamiya territory.

Arrma/Traxxas etc do very good business selling cars for that market:

I know, i love tamiya for the build and the nostalgia but i do think arrma be more suited to my needs. Feel like i be cheating though 😆😆

59 minutes ago, Raptor1410 said:

I know, i love tamiya for the build and the nostalgia but i do think arrma be more suited to my needs. Feel like i be cheating though 😆😆

Not really cheating when Tamiya can't cater for your needs 👍. I love Tamiya, but sometimes I do go elsewhere for certains items/vehicles as other manufacturers just do them so much better. 

James.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

Not really cheating when Tamiya can't cater for your needs 👍. I love Tamiya, but sometimes I do go elsewhere for certains items/vehicles as other manufacturers just do them so much better. 

Well said, and solid advice here ^^^

I too have a big soft spot for Tamiya, and it represents the bulk of my collection.  BUT... if I want to do do something off-road other than "drive around nicely" (or have fun and commit myself to buying parts), I reach for other brands.  HPI, Traxxas, Losi, MCD, and others all have their place in my driving rotation.  Arrma looks GREAT... but I haven't quite been able to justify pulling the trigger yet.  I wish the Kraton 6S was just a bit more "monster truck" and a bit less "truggy"...

Find something that calls to you, and makes you smile.  Buy that.  Don't worry about the brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having recently picked up a Kyosho Mad Van, it definitely fills a spot in my Tamiya collection 😃

4WD, quick on a 2s battery that I also use in my Tamiya’s, look’s great, also wheelies and jumps.

3C134076-9020-41D6-B9B0-0D2F7EE26F96.md. 

E94E7E40-7AA9-471F-BE05-74F624952B99.md.

D4D8B51A-9075-410D-913E-98B34F75138B.md.

The body is probably more fragile than Traxxas, Arrma, etc, but with a bit of drywall tape and shoe goo on the inside will help.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Having recently picked up a Kyosho Mad Van, it definitely fills a spot in my Tamiya collection 😃

4WD, quick on a 2s battery that I also use in my Tamiya’s, look’s great, also wheelies and jumps.

3C134076-9020-41D6-B9B0-0D2F7EE26F96.md. 

E94E7E40-7AA9-471F-BE05-74F624952B99.md.

D4D8B51A-9075-410D-913E-98B34F75138B.md.

The body is probably more fragile than Traxxas, Arrma, etc, but with a bit of drywall tape and shoe goo on the inside will help.

I have been looking at the mad bull. Looks great. Is it tougher?

I don’t have any experience with a Mad Bull, from what I’ve seen of other peoples reports on them they are pretty tough and will take brushless power, but I dare say would get fairly uncontrollable with to much. The Mad Bull is only 2WD, but would be a lot cheaper than the Van.

Where as the Mad Van is designed to handle its 4000kv motor out the box. The chassis looks to be very tough compared to most Tamiya’s.

40 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I don’t have any experience with a Mad Bull, from what I’ve seen of other peoples reports on them they are pretty tough and will take brushless power, but I dare say would get fairly uncontrollable with to much. The Mad Bull is only 2WD, but would be a lot cheaper than the Van.

Where as the Mad Van is designed to handle its 4000kv motor out the box. The chassis looks to be very tough compared to most Tamiya’s.

Sorry i did mean is mad van tough? My bad.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Raptor1410 said:

What about the Gmade Gom. Put a 4000kv brushless in it and should be quite exciting 🤞🏻

15 hours ago, Raptor1410 said:

Sorry i did mean is mad van tough? My bad.

All good mate, it’s proving to be tough so far 👍🏻

Just ordered rival mt10. Just had to do it. Did research and for price seems best option. Looked at the arrma granite but for another £100 didnt seem like i got much more. Cheers

• Like 2