Killajb

"So this is the last kit.." Help wanted: Creative rationale to acquire yet another

Was reading a reply from @Saito2and I felt the dilemma..  I've told Mrs. Killajb plenty of times that "This, no THIS will be my last kit because.."   alas, I am running out of reasons.  I  call upon my fellow Tamiya brethren out there, let's combine our coercive skillsets!  Give your top three excuse-  eh..  reasons for purchasing yet another kit.  I can use all the help I can get:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My wife actually enjoys the fact that the basement is a 600 square foot workshop, which happens to be full of assembled and unassembled projects that i have accumulated over the last 45 years.  She knows exactly where to find me when i am not at work.

• Like 5

Never say it’s the last… because something you’ve been wanting will pop right up 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Killajb said:

Was reading a reply from @Saito2and I felt the dilemma..  I've told Mrs. Killajb plenty of times that "This, no THIS will be my last kit because.."   alas, I am running out of reasons.  I  call upon my fellow Tamiya brethren out there, let's combine our coercive skillsets!  Give your top three excuse-  eh..  reasons for purchasing yet another kit.  I can use all the help I can get:rolleyes:

I just say this is the last kit..“until next time” and I’m home free. :D 

Like my Supra.. I will never ever buy another RWD car ever again.. until I did.  So it’s no lie.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well if another Tamiya keeps you on the straight and narrow then it’s worth every penny and if you don’t buy a new kit you will just end up bothering your wife by getting under her feet 😂

• Haha 3

Present the situation as actually being a good thing. Tell Mrs. Killajb that this is your very last kit because after it you are now switching to a new hobby. A more expensive hobby. She will then ask you to forget about it and just remain doing RC!

"I have good news and bad news. The good news is that this is my last kit. The bad news is that I'm adding another hobby afterwards"

Just make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot by naming a hobby she would actually encourage!!

• Haha 1

I think you have 2 options. One is having a lot of IIPA's with Mrs Killajb and then whatever gets delivered is just funny, like when my FF04 got delivered.

Otherwise it sounds like its time for an honest conversation about how you're going to keep buying these and they can be birthday/christmas presents etc.

Timely though, I have just seen the Novafox is on sale and want (another) one...will let you know how I get on

• Like 1

I went the tsunami route.

Bought a rere Blitzer Beetle for a nephew, and a rere Super Hotshot for myself so we could run them together. Great fun!
Stumbled across this site, and six months later I'd bought another 15 rere kits. So now, a few years later, me buying a few kits a year seems like nothing to her. 

I think that anything that's a hobby, and doesn't divert funds from bills and savings, is a good thing. She claims this is probably a cult, but she says it with a smile. 

Inflation is going through the roof, the cash will effectively devalue in the bank, oil prices are only going to go up, I'm investing now as the plastic kits will be worth 50% more in about 18months. That's why I need to buy 8 additional NIBs to cover the loss of the one kit I am going to build, which I'm taking out as my invest managers fee. Think of it like a pension, but in plastic........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I always tell my wife that if I weren't building kits I'd probably be out at a bar with friends drinking or playing billiards.  I get into a lot less trouble in the basement building kits!

Other excuses..."I want to try something I've never built before"...which in the past has included buggy vs. TT02 vs. TA08...2WD vs. 4WD ... lighting kits for the cars ... FPV camera setups ...

I try not to specifically say "This will be my last..." as it seems like shooting myself in the foot.  I am also lucky to have a very understanding wife, that supports (or at least puts up with) my RC car addiction and other expensive hobbies.  If you want another kit, and can afford another kit, then get another kit... be honest about it, and let the chips fall where they may.  My 2 cents...

10 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

bothering your wife by getting under her feet 😂

You too eh ?

• Haha 1

Print this and put it up somewhere she can see it, probably most effective a few weeks after a casual chat about passion :D:wub:

Screenshot_20211212-222610_YouTube.jpg

• Like 1

Well.. Stop building kits and do restoration :

1. It takes much more time to do a restoration than to do a kit.

2. You may get multiple times the same car: My plan was simple for that : i'm buying a set of parts...

That being said, she recently asked me how the car reproduce themselves.. I may need to change approach :-)

• Haha 2

I’ve said this before…. My previous hobby consisted of going to see live music, drinking beer, and hanging out with young hippie chicks.  My wife is happy I now stay at home and play with cars…

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

My previous hobby consisted of going to see live music, drinking beer, and hanging out with young hippie chicks.

Can't see anthing wrong with that . I guess we all did it ? - or just us 2 ?

Here's one of my old haunts

a0360839969_16.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Print this and put it up somewhere she can see it, probably most effective a few weeks after a casual chat about passion :D:wub:

Screenshot_20211212-222610_YouTube.jpg

My wife already posted that up ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

Can't see anthing wrong with that . I guess we all did it ? - or just us 2 ?

Here's one of my old haunts

a0360839969_16.jpg

image.png.b281a991fe275f52316ae9aa3ee38cd5.png

I was a this show...

In fact, I may have even recorded it for the band.  I did a lot of that back then (holy carp - has it been 15 years?!?).  This venue even had a little booth right next to the soundboard for us to set up our taping gear.  I made a lot of good tapes there...

Terry

• Like 1

You have to push through this phase, think of it like a marathon runner hitting the pain wall. 

I've got to the point now where the wife doesn't even notice or care that another box or parcel has arrived, she's lost track of how many I've got and why. Keep buying them and she'll soon get lost in them all, you just have to put up with the grief short term.

In fact faster you buy them the quicker you'll get past this phase and into the "she's lost the will to care" phase so fill your boots and go for it.

I think my wife has selective hearing at times. I have said at times "This may be my last Tamiya kit." This statement is followed by how there are a limited amount of kits Tamiya could release  that would grab my attention at this point. Some, I inform her, like the Juggernaut, are very unlikely. I've also been honest the TD4 has tempted me but I've held off. I've also told her I'd be open to anything Kyosho offers in the future but managed not to buy any Schumacher re-releases. So, in the end, all my wife retained was "I'm not buying anymore RC cars" which is not even close to what I stated.

The truth of the matter is (what words on a forum can't express) is the my wife doesn't really stop me from buying anything. She just likes to playfully poke at my obsession with a wink. We're pretty frugal and virtually all our extra money goes into retirement. I have probably 3 years of significant tax return money (we divide three ways, 3rd for her 3rd for me and 3rd for savings) and I have just put most of mine in the bank. As long as the cars don't wind up scattered around the house she doesn't really mind. I must admit its interesting to see how other couples deal with money and spending when its never an issue with us because we're pretty much on the same page. For my part, I never stop her from buying anything because she's practical and trustworthy too. If she needs clothes, she needs clothes. She gets what she wants, but only when she needs it. Its great to "click" with someone like that because I know finances can be a big source of arguments among couples sometimes. I'm lucky to have her.

• Like 5