Saito2

Purpose of the Avante 2001

So, finally I digged some stuff out in my new hobby shed.

A new Avante Race steering set, and a NOS 2001 steering link:

spacer.png

So I opened the bag instead of dismantling my Vanquish runner for a comparison:

spacer.png

So it´s 2001 steering link above in FRP material, while Avante (Race steering) / Vanquish CS / Egress steering link is carbon fibre material. Race steering ball stud holes for the steering links are no countersunk holes, while 2001 is countersunk to clear the body in front on full steering lock. (screw heads /nuts would scratch the body of Avante 2001).

I put both linkages above each other and on a paper, to confirm my suspect:

spacer.png

Holes of linkages and steering arms have both the same offset backwards of 2 mm. Race steering hole distance is 72mm, while Tamiya reduced it down to 56mm on the Avante 2001. 

When you put the FRP linkage onto the CF one you can see it´s possible to use it as template for a short homemade CF version:spacer.png

That´s how I cut me one for my Avante 89 project. I used Astute press nuts instead of the bigger flange nuts. That gave me enough clearance (in height) for an original Avante body:

P1020086.md.jpg

P1020087.md.jpg

P1020088.md.jpg

In my Vanquish runner, I use pretty much the Egress setup:

P1020089.md.jpg

I haven´t exactly measured bumb steer and Ackermann difference of both on the wheel angles, but from my old eyes in full lock and full travel looking at both models, bump steer is not 100% perfect on both versions. But the steering links are freer and enable more suspension travel on the 2001, as they are longer compared to the Race steering set. I learned it the hard way on my Vanquish, that you have to look onto the angles your steering linkages offer. My original ball links were already puuting up and down forces in the steering links when using Hicaps, which give the axle more travel. So everybody should keep an eye on their models, because this kills the 850 bearings and you have a strange friction in the steering, which usually is one of the best Tamiya ever made (in my eyes). I used the new open face ball adjusters which give me the angles I need for maximum front axle travel.

@Saito2: I hope this is the info you wanted, if you need some othe rmeasurements,  please let me know.;)

Kind regards to all Avante platform lovers,

Matthias

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tamiya has used this type of steering (fully ball-raced dual bell crank w/ bridge) on every TRF all the way up until the end. Amazing that after 33 years it was never really improved upon.

The only real difference between this and any modern steering is that the tie rod balls all face forward now (instead of down) to avoid the aforementioned binding problem. Which interestingly is how the original Avante had them placed to begin with.

• Like 3

By the way, as we are here in a Techtalk already with Ackermann:

What´s still on my to do list since years is to measure all the link positions in rear for rollcentre changes. Tamiya did quite some changes from Avante to Avante 2001 and Vajra. Could be interesting to sort it all out. With some shims it could be a nice tuning aid for each model?

I´m quite sure, that Tamiya did their homework here, at least I noticed differences...:D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Tamiya did quite some changes from Avante to Avante 2001 and Vajra. Could be interesting to sort it all out. With some shims it could be a nice tuning aid for each model?

I never looked at that either. I figured there were some changes after the first Avante, but kinda guessed the Vanquish, Egress and 2001 were all the same. Another evolution change to examine!:)