Kol__

Vintage sticker repair

Hi guys,

Any advice on how to manage lifting stickers on a vintage Tamiya?

Is there a suitable adhesive that I can use a small needle or something to carefully poke some under the lifted areas on the stickers and stick them back down?

I've seen the Tamiya and other brand decal adhesives, but they all say they will soften the decal which is a concern. Although, I think that might be referring to those thinner static model decals:wacko:

49 minutes ago, Kol__ said:

Hi guys,

Any advice on how to manage lifting stickers on a vintage Tamiya?

Is there a suitable adhesive that I can use a small needle or something to carefully poke some under the lifted areas on the stickers and stick them back down?

I've seen the Tamiya and other brand decal adhesives, but they all say they will soften the decal which is a concern. Although, I think that might be referring to those thinner static model decals:wacko:

Can't help much except to say that the Tamiya adhesive is indeed for slide scale model decals.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, haven't found anything that I think will work yet. It's got to be safe for the sticker and for the polycarbonate, so something like super glue I don't think will work.

Anyone else got any ideas? This must be an issue for other vintage owners:wacko:

I've read that Shoe Goo should work, but I have no first hand experience. Maybe someone can confirm or deny.

• Thanks 1

@Kol__  In my case I just buy new decals either originals or reprints..  sorry not much help, but when it comes to restoration sometimes it's best to replace than to fix with mediocre results.. unless of course one wants to have the not-perfect worn look which is also well accepted.

• Like 2

Shoe goo could be a possibility, or I do have some 'Fantastic Elastic' flexible glue that could possibly work. I'm wondering if a tiny amount of it on the head of a needle placed under the edge of the sticker and then wiped flat with a cloth with some panel wipe fluid on it would both flatten it down and remove any excess glue🤔

Cheer @Willy iine, these are new old stock stickers just applied, but they have some lifting in a few areas. I wonder if this is just due to age and could the problem areas be fixed and then it would be all good🤷

@Kol__ You could try '3M Tape Primer 94', it's an adhesion promoter for vinyl wrap and adhesive tape. Should work if the lifting decal still has some sticky left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Cheer @Willy iine, these are new old stock stickers just applied, but they have some lifting in a few areas. I wonder if this is just due to age and could the problem areas be fixed and then it would be all good🤷

Oh I see..  that sucks.  If it's not a clear area have you considered some rubber cement?   Might work.. and should be removable just in case. 

I've had good luck with reprints too.. they use a different type of vinyl and while the reprint themselves may not be super precise or super high resolution like factory, they still look real good on the car.. my paint job is far flawed so kind of blends everything in.. :ph34r:

:lol:

• Like 2

BiTD yeah ppl used superglue to paste down lifting decal corners... but it kinda scarred the lexan too. 

Microsol & similar bottled decal solvents/adhesives are for Waterslide decals to soften the media & let it stretch around tight curves better. Won’t do anything for RC vinyl decals.

Assuming you value to lexan as much as the decal, clean off all dirt from under the decal & try tacking down lifted edges with an acrylic clear or even nail varnish. Apply it on, wait till it mostly flashes off till tacky then press down & hold until it’s set. 

Original adhesive on vinyl media is pressure-sensitive, either water based or solvent based. Most RC decals usually solvent based adhesive so we can use mist of water to allow a bit of give during application. Or better still pros use “vinyl lube” (pretty much water with a bit of IPA and maybe a touch of ammonia or detergent) which activates the adhesive for even more aggressive bite once applied. 

Adhesion issues is often caused by contaminants and oils/silicones residue from skin contact... so keep everything squeaky clean & oilfree whilst decalling. Don’t forget fresh steel blades have a oil coating at factory to deter rust so degrease those too. 

• Like 1

What about a bit of heat from a hair dryer/heat gun, I’ve had success in the past with lifting decals and heat, seems to reactivate the adhesive

• Like 1

This might sound silly but Pritstick works and its not got any harsh chemicals to damage old stickers or paint.

• Like 1