Sign in to follow this  
topforcein

u-tube video of my vintage amp being repaired

so i have been searching for a repairer for a couple of years know to repair/service my vintage pioneer sx550 amp and a few months back i stumbled upon a video on u-tube and i thought the accent sound familiar so i managed to get in touch with him and it turned out he was local to me.

after seeing how clean his work area is and all the machines and oscilloscope's he has that again look new i messaged him and he said i could drop it off to him.

he made a video of it witch is great (for me anyway) esp seeing my amp took to pieces and repaired 

some of the things i see him do just blows my mind like in his other videos he rewinds and power transformer and in my he silver plates the power switch contacts just amazing

if that is something that flouts your boat go and take a look at it and some of the other ones he has done

i already have the next item witch is a tape deck ready to go to him 

the link is 

• Like 4

My dad used to do this kind of thing.  Then he got into woodworking and all the stereo gear got sold off…. I still have his Sansui preamp and AR speakers though…

• Like 3

Can't beat a good quality piece of vintage Hi-Fi - most of ours was bought new in the mid 1980's and still works great.

Take a look at the Techmoan YT channel for lots of interesting vintage electronics info - warning - it can be addictive... 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

My dad used to do this kind of thing.  Then he got into woodworking and all the stereo gear got sold off…. I still have his Sansui preamp and AR speakers though…

would love a sansui amp but would not know where to start

dont get rid of either of them they will keep appreciating in value 

2 minutes ago, topforcein said:

would love a sansui amp but would not know where to start

dont get rid of either of them they will keep appreciating in value 

Any Sansui from the 70s, especially the early to mid 70s.

In the 80s, they started to go cheap, to compete with the chinese made junk...

Here's a good start in your quest:  https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/hifi-buyers-guide.shtml

Terry

5 hours ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Can't beat a good quality piece of vintage Hi-Fi - most of ours was bought new in the mid 1980's and still works great.

Take a look at the Techmoan YT channel for lots of interesting vintage electronics info - warning - it can be addictive... 

i do watch techmoan videos and he has some nice stuff but a repairer he aint and he always says in his vids i have been watching a chap from canada for the past few years now called 12volt vids and i thought he was good until i saw this guy i have a few other stuff to give to him to repair also but he has told me their is a long wait atm but it will be more than worth it plus what he charged me for what he done in the video was really surprising.

i tend to only buy vintage hi-fi stuff esp speakers 

the pots surprised me how bad they was esp as i have cleaned then with servisol spray mind he does say the action of them was good but the pins was what needed doing

hit sounds better also know 

1 minute ago, Frog Jumper said:

Any Sansui from the 70s, especially the early to mid 70s.

In the 80s, they started to go cheap, to compete with the chinese made junk...

Here's a good start in your quest:  https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/hifi-buyers-guide.shtml

Terry

thats great i do use hi-fi engine alot for specs and info its a great site