MonsterBeetler0603

Monster Beetle MIP diff problem

Hi all, I've recently bought the MIP super ball differential for my re release monster beetle, however I've ran into a very strange problem. I've built the diff and taken apart the gear box to replace the old diff and then put it all back together. Once I re built my beetle, everything seemed to be ok and sounded smooth as ever. However, the wheels spin fine when off the ground, but as soon as they touch any surface, they just stop! I've taken the cap covering the motor moving to see if it was connecting to the cog inside the gearbox and it was. The motor makes the same whizzing sound when it's on the floor, so it's definitely still moving around, just the wheels aren't at all. I've taken it all apart twice now to see if I somehow put it altogether incorrectly, but following youtube assembly videos and the manual carefully, I ended up with the Same issue.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this and why it is happening? I don't see why the wheels touching the ground change anything, but as soon as they make any contact, they don't move at all.

Thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, MonsterBeetler0603 said:

Hi all, I've recently bought the MIP super ball differential for my re release monster beetle, however I've ran into a very strange problem. I've built the diff and taken apart the gear box to replace the old diff and then put it all back together. Once I re built my beetle, everything seemed to be ok and sounded smooth as ever. However, the wheels spin fine when off the ground, but as soon as they touch any surface, they just stop! I've taken the cap covering the motor moving to see if it was connecting to the cog inside the gearbox and it was. The motor makes the same whizzing sound when it's on the floor, so it's definitely still moving around, just the wheels aren't at all. I've taken it all apart twice now to see if I somehow put it altogether incorrectly, but following youtube assembly videos and the manual carefully, I ended up with the Same issue.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this and why it is happening? I don't see why the wheels touching the ground change anything, but as soon as they make any contact, they don't move at all.

Thanks in advance!

Did I understand correctly that the problem occurred with the newly installed ball diff? In that case it sounds like your ball diff is adjusted too loose and therefore it is slipping. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Did I understand correctly that the problem occurred with the newly installed ball diff? In that case it sounds like your ball diff is adjusted too loose and therefore it is slipping. 

I bet @Pylon80 is right on the money here. I think I set mine pretty tight if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

Yes, I've had the monster beetle since Christmas and got the MIP ball diff for it a few days ago due to the notorious clicking issue... it ran completely fine before fitting this new diff. You reckon if I tighten up the new ball diff, it would run on the ground? Thank you for replying to my post!

As above, take the diff out and make sure it's tightened enough. But DO NOT over tighten. Tighten a little at a time and each time hold both of the outdrives and try to turn the gear in-between them. If it's too loose the gear will turn, just tighten until the gear isn't able to turn any more then you can make small adjustments from there as to how tight or loose you want it to be. 👍 Once you get the hang of ball diffs it's easy after that. 

If you over tighten it too much it can end up undoing itself under power and basically make the diff useless as the thrust bearing is usually crushed. 

James.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, InsaneJim69 said:

As above, take the diff out and make sure it's tightened enough. But DO NOT over tighten. Tighten a little at a time and each time hold both of the outdrives and try to turn the gear in-between them. If it's too loose the gear will turn, just tighten until the gear isn't able to turn any more then you can make small adjustments from there as to how tight or loose you want it to be. 👍 Once you get the hang of ball diffs it's easy after that. 

If you over tighten it too much it can end up undoing itself under power and basically make the diff useless as the thrust bearing is usually crushed. 

James.

Yes I saw this being done in a youtube tutorial; I did have it loose enough so I could still move the gear quiet well when I had it tight between 2 screwdrivers.... I assume that is too tight then? Do you think that making it tighter would get the wheels to move on surface and solve my problem? Thank you for all the help!!

• Like 1

If your able to hold both outdrives with either screwdrivers or small Allen keys and still move the gear then it's far too loose. You should keep tightening a bit at a time until you can no longer move the gear. Even if the gear moves slightly with pressure, I would give another 1/4 turn to tighten.

At that point you would take that as your base setting for the diff. Then its upto yourself if you want to loosen or tighten it further. For general use I would just go with having it at the base setting. 

Hope that makes sense.👍

James.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MonsterBeetler0603 said:

Yes I saw this being done in a youtube tutorial; I did have it loose enough so I could still move the gear quiet well when I had it tight between 2 screwdrivers.... I assume that is too tight then? Do you think that making it tighter would get the wheels to move on surface and solve my problem? Thank you for all the help!!

Just be careful and don't do what I did and do the opposite and have it to tight with a body I'd spend many hour to build and paint then 4 seconds to destroy:( as it sailed down the road pirouetting on its roof at 30mph........still haven't repaired it! on my list of to do!

20210807_134114.jpg

• Sad 3