Sign in to follow this  
Trogdortheburninator

Oil shocks

Cheapest bet would be to measure eye to eye in length ,then find something in alloy out of China, Ali express or eBay 

Depends what you consider a reasonable price. From what I have been reading some options could be the

Tamiya CVA minis

Tamiya CVA super mini set around £24 Tamiya 54753 - Tamiya TT-02 / TT-01 CVA Shock Set (4) - Super Mini | Shock Absorbers | Wheelspin Models

Tamiya GF-01 Aluminium oil dampers around £50 Tamiya 54670 - Tamiya GF-01 Aluminium Oil Damper X 4 | Other Tamiya Spares | Wheelspin Models

The comical versions on the GF-01 chassis use the CVA minis.  I think they are the same length as the friction shocks on most GF-01.  The Super Mini CVAs are used for on-road stuff.

• Like 2

Handy tip about the super minis being for on-road use, thanks. I'll amend my own shopping list for my GF-01 :)

5 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

The comical versions on the GF-01 chassis use the CVA minis.  I think they are the same length as the friction shocks on most GF-01.  The Super Mini CVAs are used for on-road stuff.

Super mini for on road, mini for off road?

The DT-02 & DT-03 buggies (for example) use the 'mini' in the front and the 'short' in the back.  The Super minis are used in several on road cars.  I don't think any of the GF-01 products specifically use super mini shocks. If you want to you could, if you are making an on road/low suspension travel vehicle out of a GF-01 chassis.

A lot of the cheap off-brand alloy shocks from China are a bit rubbish in stock form, but can be made to work quite nicely if you rebuild them with proper seals, trim off the moulding flash from the pistons and open up their holes, polish the shafts, replace the springs which invariably seem to be either too soft or too hard, fit sturdier lower eyelets and fill them with suitable shock oil. 

All of which is fine if you already have the seals, oil and other bits in your stash, but if you have to buy them in addition to the shocks themselves, you might end up being better off just getting a better set of shocks to start with. 

My personal favourite aftermarket upgrade shocks are the Yeah Racing Shock Gear ones, which are not quite TRF quality, but come pretty darn close at a fraction of the price. And although not as pretty, Tamiya's own CVA plastic bodied oil-filled shocks work plenty well enough for the majority of applications.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:30 PM, Trogdortheburninator said:

Any recommendations for oil shocks that I could put on my gf01 for a smoother ride? They all seem pretty pricey, but was wondering if an offbrand of any kind would fit.

I run Tamiya 53619 Mini CVA's on all my GF01's and WR02's.   They are available on Amazon for like $25.   They work fine.   If they start leaking I run Tamiya's x-rings where the o-rings go.   GL with your build!