Robert5000

Schumacher Cougar Classic

I slept on the Topcat, so I'll be keeping an eye out for preorders on this one. 

We are extremely pleased to introduce the latest in the line of Schumacher Re-Release cars, the Cougar Classic.

The original Schumacher COUGAR was the first of a long line of successful COUGAR 2WD buggies which are still winning races today.

The original COUGAR won the 1990 European Championships with Jurgen Lautenbach.  At the same race it also came 2nd, 6th, 8th & 9th in a pretty dominant display.

The COUGAR Classic is an authentic re-release using much of the original tooling, but with a few subtle improvements such as fittings for modern lipo batteries.

The COUGAR Classic will be a top contender at vintage RC races, or will make a fabulous addition to any collection, as one of the most iconic RC cars of all time.

https://www.racing-cars.com/cougar-classic-kit-k194

• Like 2

Id love to get a Schumacher but all I ever hear is terrible instructions and lack of parts support in the USA. 

8 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

Id love to get a Schumacher but all I ever hear is terrible instructions and lack of parts support in the USA. 

From the instruction manual they've uploaded this seems like a lot easier build than the Cat XLS. Some of that is probably due to it being 2wd, not 4wd -but mostly I think it's because it has a pressed aluminium chassis, so you don't have to start with fastening the lexan undertray to the fibre plastic chassis plate. And then spend most of the remaining build hating the undertray being in the way :)

As for parts support, my experience is that they're quick to ship out orders -but the lead time might be longer to the US than to Norway. 

• Like 1

Check out A-Main in the US.  They have tons of parts for the Cat XLS and Top Cat still in stock.  That is where I got my kits and spares and have never had any issues with availability.  No worse that Tamiya or Kyosho as far as I am concerned.  

• Like 2

Great news as far as I see it that the rere program is still up and running at Schumacher.  Still holding out hope on an eventual Cat 2000 EC.

Couldn't agree more. Since it's been four years since the Topcat I was starting to think they'd done a Team Associated and shied away  from the re re game. And it's an added bonus that it's available at the end of the month, so we're spared the five - eight months waiting period before it arrives. 

Meh.

Why on earth they haven't brought back the SWB CAT yet is a total mystery.

This one is a hard pass for me.

16 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Meh.

Why on earth they haven't brought back the SWB CAT yet is a total mystery.

This one is a hard pass for me.

You're just saying that because your loft is overflowing with Topcats :)

34 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

You're just saying that because your loft is overflowing with Topcats :)

Believe me, it isn't. :P

• Haha 1

Wish I got the Top Cat... the Cougar is undoubtedly the better car, but I'm just a sucker for wacky suspension layouts...

• Like 2

The cat xls was indeed the most difficult and frustrating build I've done to date:o! But with my hand on my heart after the build its probably the best rc buggy I've got in my collection:wub: yes its not the most technical which begs the question why was it so difficult to build? I think for a few reasons firstly you had a lot of fettling with parts to make them fit properly yes you could fit and make do but it was a kit that if you put more effort into you would reep the rewards and second I'd never experienced a kit of that type I was just used to tamiya follow the instructions and hay presto a buggy appears schumacher kits are definitely not that so when I built the topcat it was far more easier because I knew what to expect?, I bit of information which I required just after Christmas (literally) I was in my LHS and one of the directors of schumacher was in the shop and I was having a good chat to him about the schumacher classic range and he told me after a bit of friendly banter/persistent asking what was next and he told me but didn't tell me;) cougar classic was next!! And they haven't forgotten about the very first cat which I think is the SWB;)!

20210111_174021.jpg

• Like 3

Agree with all of the above! The XLS was the MOST challanging build but also the most rewarding. I ended up with a pro transmission and the alloy bulk heads but even in its standard form it runs brilliantly. Still think the "crash back" feature of the front suspension is genius. The Top Cat is much easier to build, however the funky front suspension is actually a bit rubbish even with the upgrade turnbuckles. The turnbuckles allow the damper to also control the down stroke instead of just gravity with the original set up. It does however look cool as... I'm actually thinking of getting the front suspension parts from the Couger to convert the Top Cat. 

DSC_0081

• Like 2

I have a schumacher cougar ld2, would love to get this kit as well, so I can have the first cougar and the latest cougar, but funds are not available hopefully some one buys my TF then I can get one of these

What I like about schumacher is they announce a new release then within weeks it's in the shops (kyosho, tamiya take note!) 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, moffman said:

What I like about schumacher is they announce a new release then within weeks it's in the shops (kyosho, tamiya take note!) 

True that, plus spares support has been excellent for the XLS and Topcat. I'm in the UK so not sure how good elsewhere. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

True that, plus spares support has been excellent for the XLS and Topcat. I'm in the UK so not sure how good elsewhere. 

Yeah that's a fair point? Is schumacher still in Northampton? 

I must admit, I'm a bit jealous you guys have an RC manufacturer in your own country with great spares support. We have Associated and Losi but their stuff is made overseas and they don't offer cool re-res (anymore, I guess) just modern rubbish that looks like it fell out of a garbage truck (despite being honest track weapons). 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I must admit, I'm a bit jealous you guys have an RC manufacturer in your own country with great spares support. We have Associated and Losi but their stuff is made overseas and they don't offer cool re-res (anymore, I guess) just modern rubbish that looks like it fell out of a garbage truck (despite being honest track weapons). 

It's a shame that team associated left the vintage market with the rc10 they had quite a good back catalogue:rolleyes: I've got to admit when I order from my LHS schumacher parts and all the manufacturers under the schumacher banner they are super quick to arrive! 

• Like 3

Agreed, I wouldn’t mind a RC10T rere. 

I must’ve watched the interview with Cecil Schumacher three or four times now, it’s more or less pure gold. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, moffman said:

It's a shame that team associated left the vintage market with the rc10 they had quite a good back catalogue:rolleyes: I've got to admit when I order from my LHS schumacher parts and all the manufacturers under the schumacher banner they are super quick to arrive! 

Associated/Thunder Tiger molds were lost when several companies were seized while HPI was collapsing. I'm surprised that RPM hasn't done a rerelease of their RC10 parts, they made replacements for every single piece on the car, including chassis and transmission. You'd only need to source a very few Associated parts and a partial screw set.

They made Andy's parts and conversion kits, too.

Sorry to get off topic, that was a fun time. The Cougar is more appealing than the Topcat, which is awesome. That era still had very interesting ideas, just like the mid-motor transition did. I'm looking forward to rereleases from that era.

It's a shame that we'll probably never see AYK, MRP,.Marui, Hirobo, or even Mugen and Yokomo rereleases.

• Like 2

I must admit I always think how good it would be if we still had AYK, marui etc but then I'd probably be bankrupt by now with no house or family:unsure: so just aswell really! I've also got to agree with you on the cougar v topcat! The topcat is a really good buggy but no matter what you do with the front suspension it just let's the buggy down! The other day I was giving my topcat a bit of a bash around the local football carpark and for no reason what so ever one of the front shocks decided it wanted to rub against the steering arm when I got home to take a closer look at what was the problem it obviously cured itself in the boot of the car on the way home? But I have to take my hat off to the designers of back in the day because without them we wouldn't have the array of rc cars buggies and trucks we have today😍 we are spoilt for choice today really!

6 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Associated/Thunder Tiger molds were lost when several companies were seized while HPI was collapsing. I'm surprised that RPM hasn't done a rerelease of their RC10 parts, they made replacements for every single piece on the car, including chassis and transmission. You'd only need to source a very few Associated parts and a partial screw set.

They made Andy's parts and conversion kits, too.

Sorry to get off topic, that was a fun time. The Cougar is more appealing than the Topcat, which is awesome. That era still had very interesting ideas, just like the mid-motor transition did. I'm looking forward to rereleases from that era.

It's a shame that we'll probably never see AYK, MRP,.Marui, Hirobo, or even Mugen and Yokomo rereleases.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Agreed, I wouldn’t mind a RC10T rere. 

I must’ve watched the interview with Cecil Schumacher three or four times now, it’s more or less pure gold. 

Yeah he's quite an interesting guy he used to work for the SV section for Ford who were part of the RS division and he was the chief designer in the diff that went I to the Sierra cosworthB) pretty cool? I've seen his son who basically runs schumacher now at quite a few rc racing weekends very nice guy and totally hands on and plenty of time for everyone (very enthusiastic guy)

• Like 2