Robert5000

Schumacher Cougar Classic

I've been waiting for Schumacher to produce the carbon fibre upgrade parts and the ball raced steering set before I start the build, but as that seems to take forever I might build it stock apart from the upgraded transmission. 

• Like 1

How many of you have purchased a cougar classic? I ordered one from Amain which is pre-order?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichieRich said:

How many of you have purchased a cougar classic? I ordered one from Amain which is pre-order?

I bought one and I've just taken it out for its maiden voyage although I did build it a few weeks ago but been so busy just got around to give it a go and it's absolutely superb I didn't do to bad eather with setting it up on the bench as I was building it all that I have is a very slight click in the gearbox if I accelerate quickly which is obviously the belt just a bit to slack and because I've built a classic schumacher before I was well equipped with its quirky build process (I'm being polite with the quirky build reference keeping it clean for the forum;)

20220829_190127.jpg

• Like 3

I ordered one from AMain as well. Still waiting.  I have all of the hop-ups except the ball raced steering upgrade U8299. For some reason it's not been in stock on Schumacher's website yet (or I missed the first batch).  I think I heard on RCKicks that it fouled in some way, so maybe they are redesigning it before releasing again?

On 9/19/2022 at 9:01 AM, moffman said:

I bought one and I've just taken it out for its maiden voyage although I did build it a few weeks ago but been so busy just got around to give it a go and it's absolutely superb I didn't do to bad eather with setting it up on the bench as I was building it all that I have is a very slight click in the gearbox if I accelerate quickly which is obviously the belt just a bit to slack and because I've built a classic schumacher before I was well equipped with its quirky build process (I'm being polite with the quirky build reference keeping it clean for the forum;)

20220829_190127.jpg

I am considering ordering on of these, all I ever hear about is what a $hit show building Schumachers are. Care to elaborate or point out the issues?

• Like 1

I once visited the Schumacher head office in Northampton, England, nothing on display, an industrial unit, with  a counter in the shop, rather boring. You can order stuff and pick it up at the office, I've no idea what stock or shipping is like, but I recommend trying the main Schumacher website and ordering direct from Northampton, England.

Just had a look at their website, some of the 1/16th cars look pretty cool.

https://www.racing-cars.com/udirc-panther-drift-truck-pro-brushless-ud1602pro

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I am considering ordering on of these, all I ever hear about is what a $hit show building Schumachers are. Care to elaborate or point out the issues?

Well I've mentioned what happened to me on my first schumacher classic build which was my cat xls before on the forum it ended with me going down to A&E because I put a flat head screw driver through my hand putting the e clips on bottom of the shocks (xray, 4 stitches and a tetanus jab) its definitely not a build like a tamiya you have a lot of fettling with parts that don't quite fit as they should and a instruction manual that is a bit hopeful and made to look straight forward in parts that clearly are anything but straight forward for example on the xls when you marry up the front gearbox with the chassis its probably advisable to get a few extra hands to make sure everything is lined up properly because the amount of hands the human body has is nowhere near enough:wacko:

Its sounds like I have a complete downer on the schumacher classic kits but I can assure you that couldn't be as far from the truth and because I have experience form the xls and topcat the cougar classic was very enjoyable build and I noted my mistakes on the other two and the not so clear instructions with the likes of the e clips on the bottom of the shocks its doesn't make it clear that you pinch the clips closed and they slide in perfectly and just build the drive shafts slowly because if you are not gentle with them they will just snap (they recommend putting the drive shaft plastic parts in hot water first to soften them up!.......don't bother it just causes other problems like lack of grip) but when they are built and running they are absolutely superb and you quickly forget about what problems you had and they are my favourite rc buggies:wub:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, moffman said:

Well I've mentioned what happened to me on my first schumacher classic build which was my cat xls before on the forum it ended with me going down to A&E because I put a flat head screw driver through my hand putting the e clips on bottom of the shocks (xray, 4 stitches and a tetanus jab) its definitely not a build like a tamiya you have a lot of fettling with parts that don't quite fit as they should and a instruction manual that is a bit hopeful and made to look straight forward in parts that clearly are anything but straight forward for example on the xls when you marry up the front gearbox with the chassis its probably advisable to get a few extra hands to make sure everything is lined up properly because the amount of hands the human body has is nowhere near enough:wacko:

Its sounds like I have a complete downer on the schumacher classic kits but I can assure you that couldn't be as far from the truth and because I have experience form the xls and topcat the cougar classic was very enjoyable build and I noted my mistakes on the other two and the not so clear instructions with the likes of the e clips on the bottom of the shocks its doesn't make it clear that you pinch the clips closed and they slide in perfectly and just build the drive shafts slowly because if you are not gentle with them they will just snap (they recommend putting the drive shaft plastic parts in hot water first to soften them up!.......don't bother it just causes other problems like lack of grip) but when they are built and running they are absolutely superb and you quickly forget about what problems you had and they are my favourite rc buggies:wub:

Thank you, still not sure what to do lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

If its affordable for you definitely get yourself one they are superb:D I don't bother with all the hop-ups and just put a brushed motor into it for what I use it for the standard kit is perfect my topcat and xls are also completely standard so it doesn't have to be ran with expensive additions and it still is a brilliant performer!

10 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I waited long enough to decide on the CAT, that they discontinued it, thus making my decision for me. Case closed, lol.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 4:56 AM, Saito2 said:

I waited long enough to decide on the CAT, that they discontinued it, thus making my decision for me. Case closed, lol.

Trust me i thought that too haha

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:36 PM, Champ85 said:

I ordered one from AMain as well. Still waiting.  I have all of the hop-ups except the ball raced steering upgrade U8299. For some reason it's not been in stock on Schumacher's website yet (or I missed the first batch).  I think I heard on RCKicks that it fouled in some way, so maybe they are redesigning it before releasing again?

I usually like to have a ball bearing supported steering system. That and titanium turnbuckles are my usual hop-ups. What are the other hop-ups are there? Does this buggy have any known soft spots? Well, not like I'm going to race it every weekend, but you know, general weaknesses?

On 10/3/2022 at 6:11 PM, RichieRich said:

I usually like to have a ball bearing supported steering system. That and titanium turnbuckles are my usual hop-ups. What are the other hop-ups are there? Does this buggy have any known soft spots? Well, not like I'm going to race it every weekend, but you know, general weaknesses?

Here is the list of option parts at least according to Schumacher: https://www.racing-cars.com/1-10th-2wd-buggy/cougar-classic/cougar-classic-parts=option-parts/

I got the turnbuckles, pro transmission, carbon fiber shock towers, alloy eccentrics and I think the alloy lipo posts and nuts too. Also got a few spare parts that I will probably never need.

I do not know what weaknesses it has.  Maybe someone else can chime in.

I ordered the Cougar Classic from AMain back in June and it is still backordered.  Anyone else still have it on backorder?

AMain should be getting them at their 2 warehouses in about a week and a half or so is the latest info I got last week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gaoh X said:

AMain should be getting them at their 2 warehouses in about a week and a half or so is the latest info I got last week.

Oh, that's good. I've had one on backorder since August I think.

• Like 1

I still have a Cougar on backorder with Amain.  Crazy thing is that as long as I have have waited on the Cougar, I ordered the Procat when it was announced and that is due at my door tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yeah the ProCat will be here on Saturday according to UPS.  Maybe there was a manufacturing delay with the Cougar Classic's 2nd run of kits?  Just guessing.  I am glad it isn't discontinued and don't mind waiting since I have no plans to build anytime soon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Champ85 said:

Yeah the ProCat will be here on Saturday according to UPS.  Maybe there was a manufacturing delay with the Cougar Classic's 2nd run of kits?  Just guessing.  I am glad it isn't discontinued and don't mind waiting since I have no plans to build anytime soon.

We did wait quite a bit from the first batch to the second in the UK according to my LHS he only got his pre ordered quote and no extra which was very unusual I never pre ordered so I had to wait a quite a while for my one which wasn't a problem! So maybe there was a manufacturing problem?

• Like 1

So I contacted Amain today about my cougar preorder since they took down the original date of Oct. 30 to see what was going on. I was told that they have 70 preorders already, i am in the middle somewhere and Schumacher told them they are only getting a handful in a few weeks. So basically almost everyone is out of luck. 

1 hour ago, Rb4276 said:

So I contacted Amain today about my cougar preorder since they took down the original date of Oct. 30 to see what was going on. I was told that they have 70 preorders already, i am in the middle somewhere and Schumacher told them they are only getting a handful in a few weeks. So basically almost everyone is out of luck. 

How long ago did you pre-order? Seems like they underestimated the demand. :(

Interestingly I just got an email from AMain saying that the Cougar Classic just shipped today.  I ordered it on June 11 at 9:52am Eastern time.

17 hours ago, RichieRich said:

How long ago did you pre-order? Seems like they underestimated the demand. :(

I preordered in august when they put the preorder of all things on sale. I thought putting a preorder on sale was odd but maybe sales were slow but apparently not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Champ85 said:

Interestingly I just got an email from AMain saying that the Cougar Classic just shipped today.  I ordered it on June 11 at 9:52am Eastern time.

That also makes sense cause the guy i spoke to told me the pro cat just came in yesterday. Obviously they got a schumacher shipment

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

I preordered in august when they put the preorder of all things on sale. I thought putting a preorder on sale was odd but maybe sales were slow but apparently not. 

I saw that sale and considered cancelling my preorder because the sale price + coupon would have saved another $15 or $20, but decided not to cancel for fear of losing my place in the pre-order waiting line.