Robert5000

Schumacher Cougar Classic

I checked the box to email me when some are available since I missed the original shipping date.
Just got mine today! Can't wait to build and possibly run indoor off road carpet.

17.5 motor going in but not sure what else yet.

• Like 1

I ordered mine today. i have no idea when i will get to it since i still never built my optima mid. Id rather have it then have it be discontinued. 

• Like 1

I've never built a Schumacher before. I finally started assembly and I've had to use the 3mm tap for bag A steps. Is that normal? 

On 12/24/2022 at 5:13 PM, Rb4276 said:

Does anyone make a cougar classic hex screw set?

95% of my tools are schumacher with all the different hex drivers and nut drivers  purely because I bought a second schumacher cat k1 a fair few years ago and the guy was giving up racing and kindly give me his tool collection because he said they probably won't be any good for anything else but I've use them on a variety of other things;) 

On 12/24/2022 at 5:13 PM, Rb4276 said:

Does anyone make a cougar classic hex screw set?

4 hours ago, moffman said:

95% of my tools are schumacher with all the different hex drivers and nut drivers  purely because I bought a second schumacher cat k1 a fair few years ago and the guy was giving up racing and kindly give me his tool collection because he said they probably won't be any good for anything else but I've use them on a variety of other things;) 

@moffman I think @Rb4276 was asking if anyone makes a hex hardware screw kit for the Cougar Classic. I'd like to know this too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toyolien said:

@moffman I think @Rb4276 was asking if anyone makes a hex hardware screw kit for the Cougar Classic. I'd like to know this too.

Yea i’d prefer a hex set, id probably pull alot together from my spares but would be a pain

• Like 1

14 hours ago, toyolien said:

Are sorry I misunderstood:rolleyes: I'm sure they probably do if you go on to racing-cars.com which is Schumacher's website they have a load of manufacturers they import/own which include equipment etc and if one of those manufacturers are tools based I'm sure it's going to have equipment for schumacher cars/buggies?

I started building my son's Cougar today. One thing I have done so far is replace the 10mm screws (that imo are not quite long enough) which are used in the steering bellcranks and drag link. I have now used 12mm and nyloc nuts to save using threadlock and they go right into the nut now.

Yeah, a new screw set would be a good idea. I've been slowly building mine. Wait till you try and assemble the servo saver. They should recommend wearing safety glasses.

I started my cougar build yesterday. I am taking my time. I am up to the servo saver which I ended up using a tamiya hi torque saver I had laying around from my txt 2. Couldn’t believe what a pain in the *** the ball cups were snapping on until I realized you can kind of slide them over to pop them on. I will continue if next weekend, it is nice having each steps in a bag going slowly. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I started my cougar build yesterday. I am taking my time. I am up to the servo saver which I ended up using a tamiya hi torque saver I had laying around from my txt 2. Couldn’t believe what a pain in the *** the ball cups were snapping on until I realized you can kind of slide them over to pop them on. I will continue if next weekend, it is nice having each steps in a bag going slowly. 

You just enjoy the build matey:D and take as long as it takes! I always find if you try and get a kit finished quickly especially a schumacher kit you make stupid mistakes which on a schumacher kit can be a bit frustrating! And I really look forward to seeing the finished masterpiece:wub: my first classic schumacher (the xls) took me about 6 weeks to build going back to it for a few hours every other day or so! But as you get used to these kit it becomes a lot easier because you start to find little hacks and methods that make it that little bit better:) 

20230206_092634.jpg

• Like 2

Someone on facebook told me to make sure to glue the layshaft. Did anyone else do this?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Someone on facebook told me to make sure to glue the layshaft. Did anyone else do this?

I definitely did on my xls and probably topcat aswell (can't remember TBH) but I never on the cougar classic and pro cat they have made the actual gear and the washer you had to glue on the previous 2 kits a one piece item! The only thing you glue is the plastic washer onto the metal washer that connects the ball diff bearings together!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moffman said:

I definitely did on my xls and probably topcat aswell (can't remember TBH) but I never on the cougar classic and pro cat they have made the actual gear and the washer you had to glue on the previous 2 kits a one piece item! The only thing you glue is the plastic washer onto the metal washer that connects the ball diff bearings together!

Thank you