RichieRich

Another body to paint

I've had this Turbo Optima Mid SE for probably 15 years. It had a bent chassis and several missing parts. Thankfully, it still had the things that made it an SE including the platinum shocks, silver plated wheels and original Le Mans 240ST. It came with the body which was in bad shape and painted red. The chassis has been replaced along with the other missing bits. I've added the Kyosho turnbuckle set which is weirdly included with the Mid but not the Mid SE.

I've ordered a replacement mid body from Kyosho and some SE decals from MCI. I'll post some pics of the finished product. But first, anyone have an idea on the yellow that matches the box art? I'm assuming it's the yellow from the Kyosho polyca paint series though it appears that it might be a little orange-y. I'm not totally sure since I do not own the original box. Also, I do own the belt covers, they are just not installed.

tomse.jpg

• Like 3

Hey guys, apparently the re-re Mid body does not come with a wing. I do not see one for sale on Kyosho's website. Can anyone with a re-re Mid confirm the part number or if it's even available for purchase? I have the body trimmed and the decals have arrived.

1 hour ago, RichieRich said:

Can anyone with a re-re Mid confirm the part number or if it's even available for purchase?

yep OTB250 Undecorated Body is just the main shell + decal sheets

Mid 2022 does not have a lexan wing, instead it gets the rere Javelin (I think?) molded nylon wing in White

OT252 W/BK/GR/OR/R/Y

• Like 1

I have the body painted. Just waiting for a wing to arrive. Also, I noticed that the front suspension seemed to be rather high. Turns out when I rebuilt it, I must have installed some medium length platinum shocks instead of the short versions. Oops. I have a small collection of platinum shock parts so I must have not been paying attention. 😃 It's sorted now. Without its wing, this car looks funny...like a bobcat or some animal that's missing its tail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/2/2022 at 3:18 AM, WillyChang said:

yep OTB250 Undecorated Body is just the main shell + decal sheets

Mid 2022 does not have a lexan wing, instead it gets the rere Javelin (I think?) molded nylon wing in White

OT252 W/BK/GR/OR/R/Y

Hi Willy,

A long shot, would you know of any RC shell body painters in Australia, I have a Marwan Salute body on the way and need a expert to tackle this one ?

Cheers

MMM

20 hours ago, madmickmalone said:

A long shot, would you know of any RC shell body painters in Australia, I have a Marwan Salute body on the way and need a expert to tackle this one 

i haven’t commissioned any pro paint jobs myself but yeah I there’s a fair few active paint slingers around our isle - we were chatting re same @LHS just a few wks ago  (but my memory got wiped since, gah!)

Depends what you’re after though... box art or totally custom? 

From what I see most painters each develop their own signature style that their customers go for.

Many senior painters are “semi-retired” these days though, only occasionally they might be tempted out of retirement by an super interesting (to them) project. 

Nobody likes doing boxart :) 

3 hours ago, WillyChang said:

i haven’t commissioned any pro paint jobs myself but yeah I there’s a fair few active paint slingers around our isle - we were chatting re same @LHS just a few wks ago  (but my memory got wiped since, gah!)

Depends what you’re after though... box art or totally custom? 

From what I see most painters each develop their own signature style that their customers go for.

Many senior painters are “semi-retired” these days though, only occasionally they might be tempted out of retirement by an super interesting (to them) project. 

Nobody likes doing boxart :) 

No worries , thanks for the response, I am wanting box art 😂 the Salute blue/white . my quest continues.

MMM

3 hours ago, madmickmalone said:

No worries , thanks for the response, I am wanting box art 😂 the Salute blue/white . my quest continues.

MMM

Is that a three color job? White, light blue, dark blue?

4 hours ago, RichieRich said:

Is that a three color job? White, light blue, dark blue?

yes mate 

the one below

83F9D3DA-734D-4FBC-9556-0BFDC6115D9C.jpeg

303F75D4-6BEC-463D-8548-E3EB905654A3.jpeg

On 7/14/2022 at 7:49 AM, madmickmalone said:

Salute blue/white

Aren’t the colored bits just stickers?

ie just shoot white; looks like don’t even have to mask out the canopy. That’s just a 30-60min job :) easy DIY

Or are you wishing for everything to be replicated in paint? 

Eg It’s “possible” to mask/paint all the fine black lines & text, but it’s a real PITA. Even Kyosho themselves would use their Microline tape & custom stickers if needs be. 

Then that becomes a 50-100hr+ job ... (And would you be prepared to pay the pro painter a month’s wage?)

Given it’s a Marwan shell, I’m assuming they’d be relatively plentiful & it’s not like you’ve only got one single chance to get it right. ;) Stock up a few extra & give it a go - be cheaper than paying oz labour.

otoh got a pal in Perth who’s just done a boxart 959 :o for another mate... I know he does great work in replicating driftcar bodies. Have yet to ask if it’s an or original or repop 959 shell. I’d assume he’s only painted the white & blue; dunno about gold stripe & rest would be decals. 

Same French fella, 100% paint on this Jimmy he says... dayum, that’s neat work!

image.thumb.jpeg.e1b64778ece8f7a552d34333a2cbd602.jpeg

(dunno on the grille/headlights though)

& again :) 

image.thumb.jpeg.af313e89deac9f25e5694724c42fb259.jpeg

On 7/15/2022 at 6:36 AM, WillyChang said:

Aren’t the colored bits just stickers?

ie just shoot white; looks like don’t even have to mask out the canopy. That’s just a 30-60min job :) easy DIY

Or are you wishing for everything to be replicated in paint? 

Eg It’s “possible” to mask/paint all the fine black lines & text, but it’s a real PITA. Even Kyosho themselves would use their Microline tape & custom stickers if needs be. 

Then that becomes a 50-100hr+ job ... (And would you be prepared to pay the pro painter a month’s wage?)

Given it’s a Marwan shell, I’m assuming they’d be relatively plentiful & it’s not like you’ve only got one single chance to get it right. ;) Stock up a few extra & give it a go - be cheaper than paying oz labour.

otoh got a pal in Perth who’s just done a boxart 959 :o for another mate... I know he does great work in replicating driftcar bodies. Have yet to ask if it’s an or original or repop 959 shell. I’d assume he’s only painted the white & blue; dunno about gold stripe & rest would be decals. 

Thanks Willy, 

I will take your advice and attempt myself, the salute body is in the country and I got the last one. I really like the box art, but will need to really workout how to do it.

Would be good if MCI had the stickers like the re-re optima for example.

The picture of salute you sent is magnificent a great job, there are some really talented individuals out there.

MMM

Ok, done with the Turbo Optima Mid SE. I used a rere mid body, MCI decals and a TBG wing. It came out ok but way better than seeing it without a body for so many years. I took a pic with the rest of its family.

1260455512_IMG_20220807_1730082.thumb.jpg.e02b29435f7ffc2ab1a29f69c3f8126b.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome, need more pics of the newly finished yellow Optima SE please🙂

• Like 1

Update pics. Painting the wing was a pain. The only re-re parts are the bumper and body. Everything else was cleaned and if broken, replaced with NOS. Oh, and the wing is a TBG item. It's looks good but it's way different from the original.

komse01.jpg

komse02.jpg

• Like 2